Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Granny Shanny

Acceptable pancake syrup

Granny Shanny

The low-carb pancakes I can accept, but not the watery sweetener-tasting syrups, nor the thickened gravy-like not-sweet-enough sugar-free ones.

I've been pushing the envelope with the agave nectar, and tonight I came pretty close! I mixed about equal parts of melted butter, agave nectar & DaVinci pancake syrup. BG was 106 at one hour after eating a Carbquik pancake totally saturated in this concoction.

For the pancake batter, I adapted the Carbquik recipe. Had to cut it down since I only needed a coupla cakes for myself (better half got the real sourdough flapjacks!), and had to improvise since the recipe called for a whole egg, so I used a little dehydrated egg white.

1/2 cup Carbquik mix

1 tbsp. egg whites

2 tbsp. softened butter

enough cream to make pouring consistency

Blend the dried egg whites into the dry mix; cut in the butter as you would for biscuits, blend in the cream just until smooth.

Fry on hot griddle until bubbles rise & edges begin to dry. Flip and cook until done.

No need to butter the pancake - plenty of butter in the syrup mixture.

fgummett

You already know my attitude to syrup... if I use it at all, it's got to be the real stuff... Nova Scotia Maple Syrup. :eating:

It tastes so darn good that I only need the smallest drizzle to get that fix.

I sometimes use a drizzle of Maple syrup on Salmon, Chicken, Steak, Pork etc... but if I were to have pancakes, I'd use plenty of butter.

Actually it strikes me that might be a good "substitute" for syrup... melt some butter in a small pan and add in a small amount of Maple Syrup (I've done this befor for popcorn)... try pouring some of that over your pancakes instead of syrup. It might be a better way to portion control the sweet stuff 'cos I know how easy it is to keep pouring that syrup once it starts flowin' :D

After all this "super-low carb elitist" diet is all about suffering and deprivation ain't it! ;) Right now I'm chowing down on a breakfast of grass-reared steak, bacon from a local farm, eggs from pastured chickens, and decaf green tea...

Gordonm

I have tried most of them. The sugar free ones taste like **** so why use it. The low carb ones are not to bad but most of the time I just use the real stuff. The carb count is not all that bad compared to all the others I just use it very sparingly. I bolus for it just like I would with any other carb and it works out fine.

Evermont

According to my glucometer - the most acceptable syrup for me is "memories of breakfast past" while eating nice cheese omelet. But if I ever do run into a pancake imperative - it would be real VERMONT maple syrup. No substitutes, no apologies, no disco.

Now where did that big brick of Vermont chedda get to?

Rebecca

personally.. I do NOT do low carb or sugar free nothing. I just work the real stuff into my diet and off I go.

example.. I am supposed to get 1800 cal per day 280 gm carb per day.. however.. on a good day I might get 1600 cal and 200gm cho. So when I want pancakes with syrup, I go for the AAA light amber canadian maple syrup with homemade pancakes (I cheat.. use bisquik)

notme

I have found a delicious THICK sugar free syrup. Try Joseph's. You can get it at whole foods. It is not watery and is very very good.

Chef Barrae

I found one that's not bad at all..Vermont Made. But, if I do eat pancakes, which is rare anyway, I usually rather have a little bit of blueberries or strawberries that have been cooked down with a touch of splenda. I like the pancake and fruit compote better than syrup.

genie86333

When I do have pancakes, which is very rare because I really have to be in the mood for them, I usually just use the real stuff, because I only like a dab of syrup anyway, but I discovered I like Smucker's sugar-free blueberry syrup.

inkvisitor

We have this stuff called Spring Tree (company name is Spring Tree Maple Products) sugar free syrup. It has 12g carbs / .25 cup. Not too shabby...

Joeprep4820
I have found a delicious THICK sugar free syrup. Try Joseph's. You can get it at whole foods. It is not watery and is very very good.

Thick isn't necessarily more authentic. When I was skiing in Vermont at my roommate's cabin in 2005, we bought our maple syrup from a local farmer, and it was more of a liquid, more watery, than I thought authentic maple syrup was supposed to be. Come time to taste, it was the most delightful, flavorful, syrup I have ever tasted. I'm usually more of an eggs, potatoes, and bacon sort of guy, but this syrup converted me to a pancakes fan for that week.

dbaratta

For the pancake batter, I adapted the Carbquik recipe. Had to cut it down since I only needed a coupla cakes for myself (better half got the real sourdough flapjacks!), and had to improvise since the recipe called for a whole egg, so I used a little dehydrated egg white.

1/2 cup Carbquik mix

1 tbsp. egg whites

2 tbsp. softened butter

enough cream to make pouring consistency

Blend the dried egg whites into the dry mix; cut in the butter as you would for biscuits, blend in the cream just until smooth.

Fry on hot griddle until bubbles rise & edges begin to dry. Flip and cook until done.

No need to butter the pancake - plenty of butter in the syrup mixture.

Wish I could eat a pancake. :bawling:

dbaratta
The Carbquik ones are about 3g of carb per pancake.

doesn't matter, it is a simple carb and races thru my body like wild fire. It is okay, I am used to not eating stuff I used to really enjoy.....

Granny Shanny

Joel (matingara) says the same thing . . . system is just too good at converting carbs . . . learned the hard way too many times.

(((Poppy)))

notme
Thick isn't necessarily more authentic.

I agree, but the biggest complaint that most people have of sugar free syrup is the thin watery type that makes anything you eat soggy. ;)

Chef Barrae
Thick isn't necessarily more authentic. When I was skiing in Vermont at my roommate's cabin in 2005, we bought our maple syrup from a local farmer, and it was more of a liquid, more watery, than I thought authentic maple syrup was supposed to be. Come time to taste, it was the most delightful, flavorful, syrup I have ever tasted. I'm usually more of an eggs, potatoes, and bacon sort of guy, but this syrup converted me to a pancakes fan for that week.

Absolutely true. The best real maple syrup is amber grade and it is thin compared to fake syrups either sugar free or with sugar. I used to go camping in Vermont all the time. We especially loved to visit in the fall. I've cooked pancakes on an open fire and used the real thing! Nothing can beat it.

Granny Shanny

Pancakes cooked over an open fire will almost pass muster withOUT anything else! lol! I've never had a camp stove - always preferred to cook over the fire. It's just the best ever. OMG, the memories! Thanks for the reminder!

Chef Barrae

I never had a camping stove either! I used to pack up half my kitchen though to go camping! Lot's of pots and pans...cast iron of course and all the gadgets (hand cranked of course) that I could think of! It was a great time! There is something about the smokiness of the campfire that gets into those pancakes and makes them like no others! Since we were in Vermont we always went to Bob's Country Store and picked up supplies...real maple syrup, fresh blueberries in season, maple sugar, all kinds of great stuff! Ahhh, yes, the memories Granny!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.