Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NewdestinyX

Lisinopril - NOT! -- What next? Any experience?

NewdestinyX

Hey gang,

I wanted to see what Metformin and Lantus did before I started any Blood Pressure or Cholesterol meds that the Dr ordered for me back in July. I like to log side effects from one med at a time.

Well started the Lisinopril 8 days ago. From about day 4 I noticed a little tickle in the back of my throat that was reminiscent of the feeling I used to get that eventually put me on Nexium; silent reflux - that never gave me heartburn but injured my larynx. So I thought I'd just had some reflux and by the next day it usually settles down. Well from Day 4 to Day 8 it kept increasing to the point of causing a dry cough and a lot of feeling like someone was putting their finger down my throat -- creating a bit of a gag reflex.

So I went to the net and a little reading quickly revealed that this is a pretty typical side effect of Lisinopril (I hadn't looked up side effects BEFORE I started it - I've stopped doing that for fear of hypochondria affecting my judgment). I knew that most BP meds gave some dizziness and headaches but those side effects were starting to affect my day as well. Some reported that all Lisinopril side effects will eventually go away. But I'm not willing to accept these --at all. There are many BP meds out there to try. In a week my BP readings hadn't gone down at all either. But it probably needs to build up in my system.

Did any of you have a bad experience or have similar side effects to mine on Lisinopril?

And then what did you end up on for Blood Pressure that proved minimal (to no) side effects for you?

Any help would be great!

Granny Shanny

When my doc started me on b/p meds, he used Lisinopril, with the adamant instructions that if I developed "the cough", I was to report to him for a change of meds.

I did develop "the cough", and he immediately switched me to Atenolol. End of story - I'm fine on Atenolol.

foxl

I am on ramipril and coughed once -- the first time I took it.

My husband got put on an ARB for coughing on an ACE inhibitor. It now costs him 50 bucks a month copay, and he is considering switching back to an ACE inhibitor and trying to adjsut to it.

Abra

I'm absolutely fine on Lisinopril, but my husband had the cough. Some people get it, some don't. On the other hand, I tried Atenolol and could barely keep my eyes open. It's pretty YMMV with anti-hypertensives.

NewdestinyX
When my doc started me on b/p meds, he used Lisinopril, with the adamant instructions that if I developed "the cough", I was to report to him for a change of meds.

I did develop "the cough", and he immediately switched me to Atenolol. End of story - I'm fine on Atenolol.

Thanks, Shanny. My doc gave me no such warning.. :mad: He's known me thru the 'hypochondria years' and was the one who suggested I not read too much about side effects before starting. He said the 'problematic' 'dangerous' side effects you'll feel immediately and know to stop and get to the ER. Other than that most can 'adjust' well if you 'don't read about them' and psych yourself out.. I don't know about his wisdom on that front.

I am on ramipril and coughed once -- the first time I took it.

My husband got put on an ARB for coughing on an ACE inhibitor. It now costs him 50 bucks a month copay, and he is considering switching back to an ACE inhibitor and trying to adjsut to it.

I'm sorry Linda - what's an ARB? The accounts I've read of others tell me that no remedy got rid of the cough for them. A couple said they 'got used to the med' and no more cough - kinda like several of us acclimated to Met.

I'm absolutely fine on Lisinopril, but my husband had the cough. Some people get it, some don't. On the other hand, I tried Atenolol and could barely keep my eyes open. It's pretty YMMV with anti-hypertensives.
Yeah. It seems so. I can bear with some sleepiness, I think.. Fight it with Vitamin B and some caffeine, but the tickle/cough thing -- NO WAY.. And the dizziness -- well I could bear that if I knew I would acclimate eventually.

Thanks everyone so far!! Are some of them diuretics? Or Antidiuretics? Pros? Cons?

musique913

I got put on lisinopril 2.5 for my kidneys according to my endo. I don't have any of the side effects, though the first couple weeks I took it I was totally dizzy. I guess it's because I don't have high blood pressure? I asked the doctor and she told me if it got worse to let her know, but she said this was the right drug for me because it's used to protect your kidneys.

Everyone is different.:)

DannyK

Been on Lisinopril for nearly a year now (5 mg.daily), and can't say I've had a problem one. How difficult it must be to be a Dr., and prescribe so many different medications, (including insulin), as we are all SO different.....:confused:

foxl
Thanks, Shanny. My doc gave me no such warning.. :mad: He's known me thru the 'hypochondria years' and was the one who suggested I not read too much about side effects before starting. He said the 'problematic' 'dangerous' side effects you'll feel immediately and know to stop and get to the ER. Other than that most can 'adjust' well if you 'don't read about them' and psych yourself out.. I don't know about his wisdom on that front.

I'm sorry Linda - what's an ARB? The accounts I've read of others tell me that no remedy got rid of the cough for them. A couple said they 'got used to the med' and no more cough - kinda like several of us acclimated to Met.

Yeah. It seems so. I can bear with some sleepiness, I think.. Fight it with Vitamin B and some caffeine, but the tickle/cough thing -- NO WAY.. And the dizziness -- well I could bear that if I knew I would acclimate eventually.

Thanks everyone so far!! Are some of them diuretics? Or Antidiuretics? Pros? Cons?

ARBS, ACE Inhibitors - High Blood Pressure (Hypertension) and Related Information on MedicineNet.com

Diuretics do not preserve renal function as well as ACEs and ARBs. There is one nice link explaining what both classes of BP meds do!

dbaratta
Hey gang,

Did any of you have a bad experience or have similar side effects to mine on Lisinopril?

And then what did you end up on for Blood Pressure that proved minimal (to no) side effects for you?

Any help would be great!

This is going to sound stupid but my dad had some bad experiences with blood pressure meds. My mom did some research and found that red wine helps blood pressure. Dad went off the meds, drinks 1/2 glass of red wine twice a day. His pressure is perfect.

Another one is my aunt, she refused to go on BP meds and opted for diet and exercise. She is fine also.

plattb1

I've been on ramipril for some time. I have actually NEVER had an abnormal blood pressure reading, but my doc insists that it is part of the D treatment protocol. That said, I have also had no side effects at all.

dbaratta
I've been on ramipril for some time. I have actually NEVER had an abnormal blood pressure reading, but my doc insists that it is part of the D treatment protocol. That said, I have also had no side effects at all.

Can you tell me why he says it is part of the D protocol? If a person doesn't have high blood pressure why would they take the drug? What else is it doing for you? I am not questioning your doc, I am truly ignorant to this. I had not heard this before. ;)

Granny Shanny

I wonder if it's anything like the statin doc started me on at first. For all these years my lipids levels were stable, and were deemed acceptable for a non-diabetic patient, but when diabetes is added to the equation, the same lipid levels pose a greater risk. Sorta like diabetes added to the pregnancy equation makes it higher risk also.

dbaratta
I wonder if it's anything like the statin doc started me on at first. For all these years my lipids levels were stable, and were deemed acceptable for a non-diabetic patient, but when diabetes is added to the equation, the same lipid levels pose a greater risk. Sorta like diabetes added to the pregnancy equation makes it higher risk also.

AH like being boarder-line is okay, but throw D into the equation and the varibles change.....got ya!;)

foxl

Yup that is what happened to me -- Endo upped my statins and added ramipril. I had already started statins and baby aspirin, at my own insistence. D does add that much cardio risk, and there was a recent article advocating the 3 meds -- "cheapest" statin (ie simvastatin), cheapest ACE inhibitor (ramipril or lisinopril), and the aspirin -- as radically cutting cardio incidents.

plattb1

"Can you tell me why he says it is part of the D protocol? If a person doesn't have high blood pressure why would they take the drug? What else is it doing for you? I am not questioning your doc, I am truly ignorant to this. I had not heard this before."

Granny Shanny is right, but a more precise answer is found below.

Answer from AACE Clinical Practice Guidelines:

"Hypertension represents a serious risk for developing the complications of diabetes mellitus because it amplifies the effects of hyperglycemia in producing microvascular complications. ... Metabolic abnormalities associated with diabetes mellitus contribute to endothelial dysfunction. Endothelial cells synthesize several potent bioactive substances that regulate blood vessel structure and function. ...

The use of specific antihypertensive agents may benefit patients with diabetes mellitus by providing renal protection as well as stabilizing the endothelium and reducing the risk of coronary artery disease."

The way I understand this is that HBP makes the complications of D worse & having D makes some of the body's natural functions that protect against risk of cardiovascular disease from working properly.

Hope this helps. I have found a lot of information at the AACE - American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists website, including the clinical practice guidelines from which I'm quoting here. It's a PDF document on the site.

enigmalady777

I've been taking lisinopril for about 10 years now and off and on I've had the cough, sometimes so severe that I needed throat lozenges constantly.

I find that it really depends on which generic version my pharmacy provides me (yes, there is a difference). The version I'm using now comes in a blister pack and I find it doesn't cause the cough for me. YMMV.

GretchO

I had the lisinopril cough...took it for about 2 years and was recently switched to an ARB (angiotensin recepter blocker). No cough. ARBs are significantly more expensive.

NewdestinyX
I had the lisinopril cough...took it for about 2 years and was recently switched to an ARB (angiotensin recepter blocker). No cough. ARBs are significantly more expensive.
Thanks GretchO. I think that's what I'll ask my doc too. Can you list the name of a few ARB's? And did the ARB have any 'different' side effects for you?

Thanks!

GretchO

No side effects from Hyzaar (it's Cozaar plus HCT), but the only side effect I had from Lisinopril was the cough. I take more than the base dose that's given to diabetics for keeping the kidneys "safe" because I have high blood pressure.

Some ARBs are Cozaar/Hyzaar, Diovan, Avapro...google "angiotensin receptor blocker".

I switched from Lisinopril to Hyzaar because it was an option. If there had been no other options I would have stayed on Lisinopril. I have high blood pressure, and will not risk high BP numbers just because of a side effect. Maybe if the side effect was debilitating, but uncontrolled HBP landed me in the intensive care unit at MGH. Not going through that again.

Dis-N-Dat

Hi Grant:

I have suffered no side effects from Lisinopril (NO coughing at all) and it's done wonders for my BP. I've been taking it since July.

starlittbobo

I recently have had an awful gag reflex which caused a continuos cough and something told me to stop taking the lisinipril that I had been taking for about 4 months now and sure enough when i stopped the lisinopril the cough went away just like that. I am going back 2 the garlic pills 4 tabs a day since they seemed to do the trick as well.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.