Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brookie

Blood Sugar Flucuations in Pregnancy?

Brookie

Hello,

I am a type 1 diabetic for 24 years and currently 11 weeks pregnant. My blood sugars have been under fairly good control thus far. I do find that it seems some days though are tougher than others. I can be in good control for a week or two, then it's like suddenly my numbers increase. I haven't changed anything I eat or my basal rates. I'll change where I have my pump inset in, thinking it's not working correctly, but still numbers are suddenly not coming down. Then maybe a couple days later my numbers go back to normal. Has anyone else experienced fluctuations that come for a day or two, then change? I'm thinking maybe my hormones are going a little crazy, then settling down. I know insulin resistance comes along with pregnancy, but I was thinking it would be more consistent later on. Has anyone experienced this? I am in weekly contact with my doctor, but hope to hear other peoples experiences. THANK YOU!!!

belyro

Yeah, I definitely had this too. I chalked it up to hormones. It can really be a full-time job managing diabetes while pregnant. You just have to be flexible and be willing to reassess things VERY frequently. Unfortunately, sometimes even with your best efforts you'll still end up with less-than-ideal bloodsugars from time to time. Try not to beat yourself up about it, but figure out what you need to do differently, make the changes, and move on.

That said, I did find my infusion sites to be MUCH more finnicky (sp?) during pregnancy. They "went bad" a LOT. I don't really know why. Since my daughter was born I'm not having that problem anymore. If you find it helps, change your sets more often. I was sometimes changing mine every 2 days.

Good luck!

Belle'sMama

I'm only 5 wks along and am SO insulin resistant right now, it's amazing. I met with a dietician on Fri per request of my endo and they gave me a booklet on diabetes and pregnancy and it says that it is reccomended that you change sites every two days in pregnancy/ I thought that was intersting since no one told me that when I was pg with my now almost 3 yr old. I've been told that insulin needs might dip down around 8 wks, then climb back up. The last time I was pg I started getting very very sick at 6 wks on so it's hard to know what my levels needed to be since I was having lows from eating, bolusing, then getting sick. Good luck, you are almost out of the 1st trimester!

e||ement

oh wow, i just posted something similar.

yes. i'm only 6 weeks, but these past few days have been very frustrating and unpredictable.

i've had major increases in my insulin use already!

Brookie

Thank you for your responses. That definitely helps some! And around 5 weeks I was SUPER resistant to insulin, but that did drop around 8 weeks....I felt like I was chasing my sugars for days! It's finally more dialed in, not considering what I'm calling the "hormonal" days which send my sugars whatever which way!

I was also told to change my inset every 24-48 hours now and at 20 weeks, every day. I've had to even change it twice a day recently because it's been finicky for sure!

Thanks again:)

Belle'sMama

wow, once a day? I can't belive no one ever suggested that to me when I was pg 3 years ago! I just tried a new site for me tonight: the upper area on your back, like right at the pocket line. Hoping it does better than last time I tried that area, for some reason mine get really icky and the site doesn't work well there and when I take it off it is bloody, sorry of tmi, lol! what sites do you use? when I was pg before I used my stomach as long as I could then just alternated thighs and didn't get scar tissue, thankfully but I am trying different sites now that I have the CGM on my stomach already.

Brookie

Yes once a day! The sites I use honestly are only my stomach. I can never seem to get it to stay attached anywhere else! I've tried my backside and always knock it out when putting on or removing clothing... I'm afraid i'll do the same if i try my thighs....my stomach is definitely not my fav place, and I can see the scars from 4 years of use there, but it honestly works the best for me. (I don't have built up scar tissue, just can see the holes where the inset was sometimes.) And the doc told me that is where it is absorbed into your system most efficently too, so they prefer it here during pregnancy.

If you can suggest any other sites, that'd be great!

sulfuimp
Hidden

Good work !

Very cool, looking great so far. Keep going, I wanna see it finished!:T :cool:

ridcaspi

If I'm off my routine and am less active than on a typical day I do find that my BG goes up and it can take more insulin that usually to get it down. Long car rides are bad, if I end up sitting at my desk for several hours without getting up my BG will go up. At work I try to get up every half hour or so and just move around for a minute. If I'm somewhere and can't just get up and move around, like in a car, I just raise my basal or do a correction as soon as I see my BG rising.

belyro
Yes once a day! The sites I use honestly are only my stomach. I can never seem to get it to stay attached anywhere else! I've tried my backside and always knock it out when putting on or removing clothing... I'm afraid i'll do the same if i try my thighs....my stomach is definitely not my fav place, and I can see the scars from 4 years of use there, but it honestly works the best for me. (I don't have built up scar tissue, just can see the holes where the inset was sometimes.) And the doc told me that is where it is absorbed into your system most efficently too, so they prefer it here during pregnancy.

If you can suggest any other sites, that'd be great!

I had the same problem of pulling out sets if I put them in my backside, but I have been able to use my thighs successfully. I pulled out a couple initially, but I've gotten used to it and actually quite liked keeping my sets to my thighs and my CGMS to my abdomen during pregnancy.

So don't discount your thighs as a potential site ;)

Belle'sMama

I've also read that the stomach site is better absorbtion but for some reason, my sites always seem to get iffy whenever it's on my stomach, maybe from the bending so much? The lower under my navel the better it seems as far as that goes. Anyway, I've always used my thighs, for me it just is the best spot on my body. I just can't imagine placing a site on my arms, but I've read that some people like it. LOL but I live in the South and it's always super hot here so I couldn't see me wearing the site with a tank top on! :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.