Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

e||ement

please tell me it gets easier

e||ement

gosh, these past few days have been very frustrating.

today especially. my numbers were all over the place. i had a spike today of 9.8 and then later a low of 2.4. i can't seem to figure out what my body needs.

tell me this gets easier to manage...i'm only 6 weeks...and so far i've had to up my basal 20% and increase my bolus doses.

how the heck are you supposed to keep such tight control when your needs are changing hourly???

i'm also testing obsessively...like 12 times a day.

it does get easier to manage though, right?

Belle'sMama

it does get better, just when you have all this insulin racing through you, around 8 wks or so you will start bottoming out into crazy lows! It does feel like as soon as you get it stabilized, it changes. I think once the hcg levels top out around 9 wks or so things level out for a while. Ellement, I do no know the conversion for mmol, but last night (well 4:30am) my BS was 319 and I corrected and less than two hours later, it was 47! I think mine went up in the night due to a sort of low I had before bed, who knows, I changed some things tonight so we'll see. I know exactly how you feel, I feel like I'm pushing SO much insulin right now and if I'm not high, I'm low. I go back to my endo on Fri for my weekly appt and I am going to ask her about going back on Apidra. The bad thing about my endo is that she changes things too drastically and I always end up with lows right after, I've always been told that small changes to levels are the keys to finding what works the best. Have you had any nausea yet? none here, but I am crossing my fingers for sure ;)

e||ement

thanks for the reassurance ;-)

last night after my low of 2.4 (43) i treated cautiously, was up to 7.8 (140) an hour later, so i corrected, and an hour later i was up even further to 9.9 (180) so i corrected AGAIN.

i must have had a little liver dump going on...but it's frustrating!

i see my endo on friday, finally (she was away on holidays when i got the positive test) so i'm hoping she can help.

i think i need to be taking 2 basal shots...right now i'm only taking it at bedtime (NPH) and by the time supper time rolls around i find i'm just doing correction after correction until i go to bed.

and i'm also panicking every time my blood sugar rises above 7 (126). so i'm happy to know this is somewhat "normal" in the early stages of pregnancy!

Subby

I know it's territory you've covered, and have your reasons for doing it, ellement. But I know from experience that 1 shot of NPH, personally spells doom for good control. I tried for years. It could be lots of things, but I would still tend to point to the likelyhood of basal issues underlying instability. Maybe splitting in some configuration will help. I'm sure I've done it before, but I can only recommend basal testing as the only sure way to know just what kind of bed you are making for your body to lie on. If things keep shifting, you may simply need to basal test problematic times at regular intervals, say every few weeks, to really know what might be going on and get info to make new decisions.

e||ement
But I know from experience that 1 shot of NPH, personally spells doom for good control.

this is turning out to be VERY true, now that my needs are increasing.

i'm also going to a pump information night in two weeks and might consider that route, but i still hate the idea of being attached to something 24/7.

i really believe i now need more than 1 shot of NPH...especially seeing as this is only the beginning of what i'm told will be a huge increase in insulin demands.

i think part of the instability is due to wild and wacky surges of hormones in pregnancy...but i KNOW that after around 6 p.m., it's largely because i have no basal left in my body. otherwise why would i need to keep making corrections almost hourly until i go to bed?

belyro
i'm also going to a pump information night in two weeks and might consider that route, but i still hate the idea of being attached to something 24/7.

When I see your style of diabetes management, including your desire for tight control at ALL times of the day, and your obvious skill at breaking things down and problem solving, I really think you'd LOVE the freedom that a pump would provide. I know the word "freedom" doesn't sound right when used to describe something you're tethered to, but you really do learn to get used to it. I know from experience that it's hard to let other people convince you of that, but it's true - or at least it was for me and I know it was for a lot of others on here too. I had folks trying to convince me to go on the pump for YEARS and now that I have, I'd never go back. The mild inconvenience of being stuck to it is by FAR worth it for the benefit it provides me.

Just my $0.02 (and that's in Canadian currency, so no exchange required). :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.