Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

e||ement

low carb snacks/nausea

e||ement

what low carb things do you snack on when you have a bout of nausea and you don't want to bolus for something like crackers?

i didn't have nausea in my last two pregnancies. it's awful. i just want to jam a big hunk of bread into my mouth.

i've been eating spoonfuls of peanut butter...but i need something else.

e||ement

yes, cheese is a very good idea. thanks. cottage cheese, too...now that i think about it.

i need something that will give me that "full" feeling like bread. know what i mean?

belyro

When I was pregnant I ate lots of chicken, eggs, and canned salmon (wild pacific salmon - NOT the farmed kind with unsafe mercury levels). They're not really "snacky" food, but if you pre-prepare them and have some on hand in the fridge it works.

Unfortunately nothing quite "soaks up" that nauseous feeling like bread or crackers, though. :P If you have a breadmaker, there's a few low-carb bread recipes on here somewhere and elsewhere on the internet too. You could always try that.

plattb1

I do know what you mean. Crackers were always my choice, too.

Bubbly water or diet 7-up or ginger ale helps me, too. In fact, supposedly, anything with ginger will help.

rak1978

So sorry you're feeling this way. My doctor eventually put me on Zofran with my last pregnancy so that I could eat the way I needed to in order to control my blood sugars. I was throwing up a lot which doesn't exactly make one want to eat chicken and vegetables. Anyway, have you tried Ezekiel bread? It doesn't have flour. Still has 16 carbs, but it has minimal effect on my blood sugar compared to regular bread. Really good toasted with peanut butter.

I hope you feel better soon! Think of the tremendous blessing you have in store! :)

e||ement

thanks guys

bethany...good call on the low carb bread. i have a wonderful recipe for flax foccacia...maybe (if i have the energy) i'll bake some of that.

plattb1...i'm going to pick up some diet ginger-ale on my way home from work! funny you should mention it. i also have ginger tea...but the thought of drinking it makes me feel sick.

rachel...i'll look up that bread for sure!

e||ement

rachel...i found the Ezekiel break (holy expensive!!) but there are a few different varieties...which one do you eat?

and have you tested 2, 3 or 4 hours after you eat to see if there is a delayed spike?

rak1978
rachel...i found the Ezekiel break (holy expensive!!) but there are a few different varieties...which one do you eat?

and have you tested 2, 3 or 4 hours after you eat to see if there is a delayed spike?

Yes, it is expensive. I give my family regular whole wheat bread and use keep this in the freezer for myself. I eat it toasted, so it doesn't really matter if it's frozen. I use the one with the orange package. It's the sprouted 100% whole grain one. As far as the blood sugar...I still take insulin with it, I just subtract the fiber from the total carb count. I don't see a spike with it after the first hour if I bolus for it.

Are you feeling any better?

e||ement

ok i'll give it a try. i'm just wondering if there's a delayed spike because it is low GI. i run into that problem a lot but i try to split bolus when i can predict it might happen.

i already buy different types of bread for myself than the rest of the family, so that's not a biggie for me!

there are a few brands of bread i don't spike too badly with (low 7s 1 hour after) but i'm always looking to improve!

i'm feeling slightly better. nausea in the morning is better the past two days, but now it's hitting me later, around 2 p.m., and lasting through the evening.

but it's at least easier to get out of bed and get ready, and get something in my stomach to start the day...that was a huge struggle last week!

thanks for asking ;-)

SoldiersWifey

This is my 1st pregnancy and I'm having major morning sickness. I keep throwing up and then I get low BG's.

I've tried diet 7up and diet Sprite. But it seems like the presweetners make it worse.

Belle'sMama

I had severe m/s with my first child (ended up in the hospital at 14 wks from dehydration) and this time it is just as bad, if not worse. AND the bad thing this time is that a few weeks ago I wanted regular sprite, not diet, and man that was hard to carb count! I found what worked for me last time and this time as well is hard candy, I use the regular stuff because a lot of it, if you read on the packaging, you have to eat a lot of pieces to have enough to count for. Blow pops have saved me many times when I'm our grocery shopping and feel the urge to get sick immediatly! suckers, hard candy, lemon drops, ice cold things like popscicles or icees help for some reason. I actually can handle the Crystal Light popscicles pretty well, because unfortunately for me I can taste the artificial sweetener no matter what in just about anything. Also, be ware of things that say "sugar freee", for example, the Jelllo Sugar Free pudding actually has 12g of carb per serving. Hope it gets better soon, I am now on zofran and reglan and hoping it is tapering off!

Christina17

I am 7 weeks with wicked all day sickness. I eat almonds and have found Arnold brand wheat bread with double fiber doesn't spike my BG much....a nice grilled cheese sandwich has helped me. But if I need to snack on something quick, I eat the almonds, and for some reason an apple works for me. i have at times though been tempted to bolus and eat a sleeve of saltines, but so far have resisted. Good luck and feel better!

Steal

I am 5 weeks along and as a teacher, nausea is pretty tough to deal with. I find that it has started happening at the same time each day and comes along with major cramping. Since my students are in high school, I am able sit down and pause, if necessary, but I went to Whole Foods on a mission to find low carb satisfying snacks that would help with the nausea. I found some Annie's wheat bunny crackers. They are tiny, tasty and 51 of them are about 1 bread serving. I have also found that having veggie broth to sip on has been helpful. This does not have a lot of carbs and has helped to settle my stomach. I also have veggies in a baggy, but if my stomach is upset, I don't turn to those. I need something soothing that will help me feel like I can eat lunch. Once I can, I feel much better.

For me, I have found that peanut butter has made insulin less effective and potent, so I have cut that out. I have tried to find veggie protein based snacks. I love to make egg whites, when I get home from work.

I also recently read Dr. Oz's new book and he mentions eating Chia seeds and that this is helpful to put in yogurt or on cereal. I am going to try this, as an option. I am a vegetarian and don't do well with milk, so I am going to try soy yogurt. The problem is that so many of these items are not low carb/low sugar. I will keep searching. Dr. Oz says that the Chia seeds are specifically helpful for Type I Diabetics and helps to inhibit the speed at which sugar is absorbed.

I hope this helps and I hope to start to chat with more women on the forum. I am new to this place, but reading everyone's entries has been so helpful.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.