Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aacoop19

type 1 and pregnant

aacoop19

I've had type 1 diabetes since I was 12 years old, and I got the pump about 2 years ago. I am happy with it, but me and my husband just found out I'm pregnant!!

I cant seem to get my blood sugars in control! Its so frustrating!! Its usually high a while after I eat, then go low a few hours later.

Belle'sMama

Hi! congratulations!!! I, too, was diagnosed with type 1 when I was 12. I've been on the pump for 4 yrs now. How far along are you? I am 6 wks.

aacoop19

Thank you! And congratulations to you! I am about 5 weeks! It is so exciting, but scary at the same time!! I dont know anyone that was already diabetic before they got pregnant, so I dont have anyone I can go to and ask. I just wish it was easier! I know I'm just getting started, being only 5 weeks, and it's already stressful! I just am worried about my baby being healthy!!

belyro

I had the same problem as you while pregnant (and, in fact, I have the same problem when I'm NOT pregnant) - the highs followed by lows.

There are a few ways to tackle that, including eating lower GI foods, pre-bolusing (which can be a bit scary if you're having nausea/vomiting and may not be able to finish a meal you've bolused for), and superbolusing. I used superbolusing, which is basically borrowing some basal to add to your bolus. I would take a big meal bolus, but then drop my basal down for a few hours after the meal. (Someone else may be able to do a better job of explaining this than I just did.) It worked quite well!

If you're interested in reading my diabetes & pregnancy blog, it's at Life as a Pregnant Diabetic. It's pretty recent - my baby just came in May.

Good luck, and congratulations!

Belle'sMama

I am curious about the super bolusing as well, though I'm pretty sure with the way my endo is, she will not approve, lol. I was never told about super bolusing before when I was pg with my now 2.5 yr old. I remember prebolusing alot when I was pg before and I've started doing that now as well but like she mentioned, it sucks if you don't finish the meal for one reason or another.

aacoop19

So far I have been trying to bolus before meals and it doesnt seem to help! Its frusterating! It just seems like no matter how much insulin I do it doesnt seem to work until whenever it wants! I go to my doc this friday, so hopefully Ill find something out!!

belyro
I am curious about the super bolusing as well' date=' though I'm pretty sure with the way my endo is, she will not approve, lol. I was never told about super bolusing before when I was pg with my now 2.5 yr old. [/quote']

I actually taught my endo about superbolusing, so don't wait for yours to bring it up if you think it would help! I don't think it's an especially common method, so endos won't necessarily push it or even know about it! I've had great success with it, though, so it's worth a try! But if you think your endo will give you push-back, I highly recommend learning all you can about it before you see your endo, and bring him/her some information about it that can back up your reasons for wanting to use it. A good endo shouldn't dispute it without good reason.

Here's a start: The Super Bolus (A good endo should also respect John Walsh, IMO)

And here's a thread about it from a while back: http://www.diabetesforums.com/forum/pumping-insulin/25508-super-bolus.html

Remember that YOUR opinion counts, even if your endo doesn't approve... It's your body!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.