Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chef Barrae

Family Style Chow Mein ~ Super Low Carb!

Chef Barrae

With the holidays around the corner and all the busy days ahead, I thought I would share a recipe with you from my cookbook. It is a great, light but satisfying dinner that you can have on the table in about thirty minutes and is excellent for a hectic weeknight without any fuss. Make sure you have all your ingredients ready to go because once you start, it goes quickly. It is also a great way to use up some leftovers that you may already have in the refrigerator and really surprise your family with this treat. You may also want to keep this one handy for some of those turkey leftovers later in the month. I hope you enjoy.

Family Style Chow Mein

Ingredients:

1 large onion, sliced

6 stalks celery, sliced

3 garlic cloves, minced

2 cups low sodium chicken stock

1 Tbsp. reduced sodium soy sauce

white pepper to taste

12 ounces cooked chicken or turkey, cut into 1/2" pieces

1 cup bean sprouts

1 Tbsp. cornstarch, dissolved in 3 Tbsp. water

vegetable spray

Optional

4 tsp. dry roasted peanuts, chopped, garnish

1 1/3 cups cooked white or brown rice

Preheat a large saute pan on medium high heat and coat with vegetable spray. Saute the onions until they just begin to soften and become translucent. Add the celery and garlic and continue to saute. When the celery begins to soften add the chicken stock and soy sauce. Stir to blend. Season with white pepper to taste. Bring to simmer, reduce heat and simmer about 3 to 5 minutes or until the vegetables are crisp tender. Add the chicken and the bean sprouts and simmer a minute to begin heating. Raise the heat and bring to a boil. Make a well in the center of the mixture and pour in the cornstarch mixture. Stir thoroughly to coat the vegetables and chicken. Cook for another minute or two until thickened. Serve with optional garnish or rice if desired.

Nutrition Facts

4 - 1 3/4 cup servings

Amount Per Serving

Calories 157.0

Total Fat 1.3 g

Saturated Fat 0.3 g

Polyunsaturated Fat 0.3 g

Monounsaturated Fat 0.3 g

Cholesterol 49.3 mg

Sodium 596.5 mg

Potassium 700.5 mg

Total Carbohydrates 13.2 g

Dietary Fiber 2.4 g

Sugars 1.2 g

Protein 22.9 g

foxl

Chef, this is not something I would call "super" low carb.

Despite the entire dish having a low glycemic index, that rice, and the corn starch, would spike me. And I am a moderate-low-carber.

Chef Barrae
Chef, this is not something I would call "super" low carb.

Despite the entire dish having a low glycemic index, that rice, and the corn starch, would spike me. And I am a moderate-low-carber.

Yes, understood, but the rice is optional for those who can eat it. The dish itself has only 10.8 grams net carbs and 1 tablespoon of cornstarch has 21 grams carb divided by four servings. It adds 5.25 g carb to the dish. You can always have it without the cornstarch but it would be liquidy. It would still taste great though!

Chef Barrae

I use egg yolks for thickening many sauces, so it doesn't add any carbs. The fat is usually minimal. For thickening this type of sauce I've always used a bit of cornstarch without any bad results for myself or that anyone else has told me. I know everyone is different though. As a general rule of thumb, 5.25 g carb may not really move your bg at all but again, everyone is different.

foxl
Are there any decent no-starch thickening agents available?

Guar gum is one which my cookbooks recommend, Granny. (And also is used in my low-grain cat foods).

I actually like my Asian-style foods less-sauced than they are typically served in the US, anyhow.

princesslinda

Thanks for sharing this chef! At just 13 carbs/serving, this is definitely something I could enjoy. That's not even one serving of carbs for the meal. I can usually tolerate around 30 per meal w/o problems. I've found that brown rice works much better for me than white...though I have to limit myself to a small serving.

I regularly thicken sauces with corn starch or even regular flour w/o blood sugar problems. Guess this is another one of those "YMMV" situations.

notme

The dietary supplement Benefiber is almost 100 percent guar gum.

In almost all packaged foods as a thickening agent. Ice Cream, pudding etc...

I think I will try your egg yolk trick, Chef.

foxl
The dietary supplement Benefiber is almost 100 percent guar gum.

In almost all packaged foods as a thickening agent. Ice Cream, pudding etc...

I think I will try your egg yolk trick, Chef.

I thought benefiber was wheat dextrin?

andypoo
With the holidays around the corner and all the busy days ahead, I thought I would share a recipe with you from my cookbook. It is a great, light but satisfying dinner that you can have on the table in about thirty minutes and is excellent for a hectic weeknight without any fuss. Make sure you have all your ingredients ready to go because once you start, it goes quickly. It is also a great way to use up some leftovers that you may already have in the refrigerator and really surprise your family with this treat. You may also want to keep this one handy for some of those turkey leftovers later in the month. I hope you enjoy.

Family Style Chow Mein

Ingredients:

1 large onion, sliced

6 stalks celery, sliced

3 garlic cloves, minced

2 cups low sodium chicken stock

1 Tbsp. reduced sodium soy sauce

white pepper to taste

12 ounces cooked chicken or turkey, cut into 1/2" pieces

1 cup bean sprouts

1 Tbsp. cornstarch, dissolved in 3 Tbsp. water

vegetable spray

Optional

4 tsp. dry roasted peanuts, chopped, garnish

1 1/3 cups cooked white or brown rice

Preheat a large saute pan on medium high heat and coat with vegetable spray. Saute the onions until they just begin to soften and become translucent. Add the celery and garlic and continue to saute. When the celery begins to soften add the chicken stock and soy sauce. Stir to blend. Season with white pepper to taste. Bring to simmer, reduce heat and simmer about 3 to 5 minutes or until the vegetables are crisp tender. Add the chicken and the bean sprouts and simmer a minute to begin heating. Raise the heat and bring to a boil. Make a well in the center of the mixture and pour in the cornstarch mixture. Stir thoroughly to coat the vegetables and chicken. Cook for another minute or two until thickened. Serve with optional garnish or rice if desired.

Nutrition Facts

4 - 1 3/4 cup servings

Amount Per Serving

Calories 157.0

Total Fat 1.3 g

Saturated Fat 0.3 g

Polyunsaturated Fat 0.3 g

Monounsaturated Fat 0.3 g

Cholesterol 49.3 mg

Sodium 596.5 mg

Potassium 700.5 mg

Total Carbohydrates 13.2 g

Dietary Fiber 2.4 g

Sugars 1.2 g

Protein 22.9 g

I like it because it is low carb, I would definetly eat this without the rice or noodles,sounds delish!

Granny Shanny

I haven't tried 'em yet & I bet shirataki noodles would work too, eh? If I ever DO find 'em, I'm buyin' a BUNCH!

Dunno why I didn't think of egg yolk . . doh! :D The guar gum gives a funny mouthfeel, imo . . . :(

Chef Barrae
I'm going to try the egg yolk too. Chef, you've taught us a trick or two today!

There is a simple technique involved to do it and it works best with a milk or cream type sauce. Just heat the base of the sauce with your cream or milk and flavorings. Beat an egg yolk in a small bowl. Slowly add about a tablespoon of the hot liquid at a time, whisking constantly, until the egg yolk is warmed. Usually two or three additions. Pour it back into the sauce pan with the rest of the cream mixture and whisk, whisk, whisk on medium heat until it thickens. I always strain it when it is done to make sure there are no "scrambled eggs" in the sauce. It is really easier than it may sound...it just takes a little practice as does anything! Good luck and let me know how it works for you!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.