Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

e||ement

constant need to eat...help

e||ement

because of nausea, and increased hunger (holy smokes!), i feel the need to consume something about every two hours. if i don't i feel very nauseated.

however, because of this i'm having a great deal of trouble stabilizing my BS. i bolus, eat...then two hours later i do it again, so i feel like i'm constantly peaking. prebolus or split bolus works to an extent, but still.

i need food that makes me feel "full". can anyone give me suggestions for healthy, very low carb food ideas. i've been eating cheese and peanut butter like it's going out of style...but i'm afraid i'm going to gain too much weight doing that. i'm also drinking tea 24/7 as it settles my stomach a little.

help!

e||ement

yes, yes and yes!

good ideas. i usually keep a big bag of almonds at work, but i've run out.

i suppose i can hardboil eggs to keep at work. very good idea!

i can't eat cold cuts or turkey pepperettes (or am advised not to) because listeria could be fatal to unborn baby...otherwise i'd munch on those things too. bacon, however, i'm sure would be fine.

thanks frank ;)

fgummett

At work I often whisk a couple of eggs into some chicken stock and cook it in the microwave: more stock = more like soup, less stock = more like scrambled eggs. I have a bottle of hot sauce at my desk that I splash in and eat with a spoon. Either whisk it very well, or cover with a piece of wet paper-towel to stop eggsplosions in the microwave :)

belyro

Chicken breast (leftover home-cooked, not deli-cooked) worked great for me!

Can you also experiment with other flavours that might help bring down the nausea even without necessarily making you feel completely full? For example, salty food and sour food helped me. So even though pretzels are high-carb, I could usually get away with eating just a few and feel better. Might work for you, might not.

Mich

I was sick both times I was preggers, but it only lasted the first three months. When I was feeling better, I made a big chopped salad and kept it in the fridge to eat for a day or two at a time. For work, I'd put a little into small containers, add protien (boiled eggs, cheese, chicken, etc) and take dressing in a knotted baggie to add later. It filled me up, was good for me and not too high in calories. One of my daily "snacks" was neo-natal vitamins with an iced drink.

Home dried (overnight low temp oven with the door open) jerky is nice too. I made thin banana chips the same way-- chewy and long lasting.

When snacking on cheese bites, I dip them in mustard. It seems to make a few last a long time. I drink Crystal Light along with it to help fill me up.

Best to you, enjoy!

Mich

fgummett
Home dried (overnight low temp oven with the door open) jerky is nice too.
Please tell me more detail on how to make this... :eating:

SoldiersWifey

I'm going through the samething here.

Seems like every two hrs I'm starving.

I'm trying so hard to keep my BGs in control, but sometimes they are high.

ramon

Lets face it, some people myself included are "volume" eaters. You must eat till you are stuffed or you will never be satisfied. If I don't eat meat I don't feel full. That's when a steak is in order. Today I had a good size steak about 12 oz and Brussels sprouts with garlic butter. For dessert 4 jumbo shrimp wrapped in bacon. That was at 3pm and Im still stuffed. Will eat 2 Crystal Light Popsicles at 1 calorie each and a Atkins bar tonight. Believe me I have a humongous gut but with out meat Im not satisfied.

SoldiersWifey

:confused: I've been thinking a lot about trying to eat more meat.

I just think maybe that's my problem...I don't eat meat often.

One of the bad things, is that I've been craving things that I shouldn't eat. I went from having so much control to hardly being able to stand it.

ramon
:confused: I've been thinking a lot about trying to eat more meat.

I just think maybe that's my problem...I don't eat meat often.

One of the bad things, is that I've been craving things that I shouldn't eat. I went from having so much control to hardly being able to stand it.

Hang in there girl I know its a tough battle. Go and eat at the chow hall and I guarantee you will not gain weight.:D If you want to eat, eat. Just try to stay under 100 carbs a day. Steak, grilled chicken, eggs are all on the menu. Turkeys around here run about$10 this time of season. Buy a couple extra and have them quartered for later cravings. Low carbs is the answer, not starving.

Brookie

Hiya. I'm in the same boat as you...I have to eat every 2 hours or I feel nauseated. I've also had a hard time stabilizing sugars, but that sometimes gets better. It's difficult to stay away from carbs so when I eat something, I make sure to count out my serving size and bolus for that. (I'm also a REALLY PICKY eater and don't like things like cheeses or deli meats) My doctor said, even if I'm a little higher, but have a NEED to eat, eat a little something and bolus for that. I try to keep snacks between 15-30grams of carbs and meals between 50-70grams. That is what the diabetes nutritionist recommended to me. I am also almost NEVER under 140 an hour later, but recently heard from the nutritionist that that is more expected for people who have gestational diabetes, not Type 1. I am usually about 2 hours later if my inset is working correctly. It gets frustrating for sure! I don't have any other suggestions for food, but I understand where you are at:) Take care.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.