Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Belle'sMama

had a really BAD low.....

Belle'sMama

Okay I am 7 wks pregnant with my second child. Up until now, I've been really insulin resistant and on quite a great deal of insulin (on a pump and CGM). In the last few days I've been having more lows than usual, especially during the night when I am asleep, whereas only a few weeks ago this was the same exact time when I was the highest. Well, last night I had a low of 35! I wasn't even shaking, which was is VERY scary. I treated and of course, rose up too high soon thereafter, probably due to both the treatment as well as some liver dump.

Just yesterday, I had my 1st u/s and everything was great, the baby measured right on target and had a HB of 138! But now I am just terrified that something could be wrong since my BS went that low! I did have a low of 38 a few weeks ago but I had just found out that I was pregnant back then.

Please someone rest aside my fears here! :confused:

Even though I had a great ultrasound yesterday but having that low last night has me so scared :(

sjacob

I am currently 19 weeks with my 4th pregnancy. I always experience lows in the first trimester. It is very normal, I usually have to cut back on my inslulin during this time. My endocrinologist explained to me that during the 1st trimester, the baby is using up sugar directly from your blood in order to grow & develop. After about 13 - 14 weeks pregnant, the placenta will take over that job and you will start to see a bit more insulin resistance. She also said that the real insulin resistance happens at about 21 - 22 weeks pregnant and another big increase at about 28 weeks.

So, please don't worry and just try to wake up through the night regularly to test.

e||ement

i'm just over 8 weeks, and have had hypos every night for the last 4 nights. mild hypos...low 3s...but i wake up sweaty and shaky and my heart is absolutely racing. (but i've been treating with smarties, so i can't say i'm not partially enjoying it! LOL)

the rest of the day, i struggle to keep my numbers down. it's very frustrating.

so, while it sucks and is scary, i think it's completely normal.

maybe you should have a snack before bed? a low GI snack?

i'm going to try to have a cup of warm milk with a pinch of ovaltine before bed tonight to try to keep my blood sugar more stable through the night. i'll let you know how it goes...

e||ement

oh...and great news about the ultrasound!

i don't get one until i'm 18 weeks...in JANUARY...i can barely stand the wait! LOL

belyro

I had a few lows like that when I was pregnant. I *think* (but I"m not sure) that the biggest risks are if you're low enough to pass out and/or stay low for a really long time. I don't think the occassional quickly-treated low where you stay conscious poses much danger to the baby. But, I could be wrong.

Belle'sMama

Thanks! I actually read somewhere online that the baby is only affected if you pass out and there is no oxygen to the baby. Hopefully that is correct.

I am mad that the CGM did not alarm me when I was going low, my pump said that my MS was 98 when it was actually 35! I know they are not supposed to be exactly accurate, but that is a huge discrepancy! But it alarmed that I was going high once I was on the upswing after treating it. I'm putting a call into my DE about that because that is the main reason I wanted it in the first place!:mad:

lorilei

i'm going to agree about a little snack before bed time..small small small... hopefully this too will pass. Congrats on the beautiful baby working so hard to grow!

belyro
I am mad that the CGM did not alarm me when I was going low' date=' my pump said that my MS was 98 when it was actually 35! I know they are not supposed to be exactly accurate, but that is a huge discrepancy! But it alarmed that I was going high once I was on the upswing after treating it. I'm putting a call into my DE about that because that is the main reason I wanted it in the first place!:mad:[/quote']

Keep in mind that there's a lag for the CGMS reading - I think it's about 15 min. generally. It's because it's reading glucose in your interstitial fluid, as opposed to in your blood. If you were dropping fast, you very well could have been 98 15 minutes ago. It's just a limitation of the CGMS, unfortunately. To get around that, I've set my low alarm a little bit higher than I would actually consider "low", so that I have a bit more warning. Sometimes it alarms when I'm not really low, then, but it's more likely to catch the true lows, so it's worth it to me. Don't give up on it yet! :)

aacoop19

I am 6 wks pregnant and I too have been going low at night. I have been right around 90 when I go to bed, then wake up a few hours later in the 30's. So frusterating!! But I started having one or two gram crackers and a little milk before bed and its been way better! I hope this helps!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.