Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SoldiersWifey

Question...

SoldiersWifey

I'm one month pregnant and a type I diabetic. I'm also on an insulin pump.

My doctor wants my BGs to be in the 80's in the morning before meals. Also he wants it to be in the 120's two hrs after each meal. My whole life my BG's have never been that low. If they were I wouldn't be a diabetic.

Please let me know what you think.

ramon

Congratulations on the pregnancy, I know how proud your husband must be. I am wondering if you are going to a military doctor or civilian? In either case they need to explain or educate at this critical time of life. Around here where I live most hospitals have support groups for D although the times are inconvenient for me. Its important now to eat healthy and take your vitamins, esp folic acid. Eat healthy, I know easier said then done.

morrisma

The effort to get bgs below 120 2 hours after a meal is daunting but not impossible. It does take extraordinary effort and you cannot help but fail now and again but frequent testing, every hour or two for most of the day, is the only way I can do it. Maybe your doc will get you a cgms system to help out of he's really serious about those numbers. At least you should be able to get your doc to write a script for a lot more test strips.

Good luck with the baby!

Mike

e||ement

it is extremely difficult to stay within those targets. i'm outside of my those every day...sometimes by a lot.

i find, for me, what has helped is pre-bolusing for a high GI meal, about 20-30 minutes before eating.

also splitting a bolus helps to stave off the delayed spike.

this stuff, i imagine, is a lot easier with a pump. i find i'm jabbing myself with the needle way more time than i'd like.

but like my endo says...they are called targets for a reason, and all you can do is your best.

good luck!

SoldiersWifey

Thanks you guys. You're all so wonderful.

For the last week I've had a flu on top of morning sickness. It got so bad actually that the Doctor put me on meds. So I've been having some really bad lows, along with a few highs.

I just don't see my BGs being the low. They never have been. I eat healthy for the most part. Even then it's still not going to be 120's.

Thanks again.

Belle'sMama

Hi! Congrats! I am presently almost 10wks and my dr has the same goals but for me they are unrealistic. I learned from my first pregnancy (this is my 2nd) that if I am lower than 140 at 2 hrs post meal, I'm going to go low. No matter how many times I tell my endo this and my DE, they don't believe me. The fasting in the 80s is somewhat more realistic. For me, around the 90s is better since anytime I am in the 80s at fasting, I soon go low. Hang in there, in pregnancy...just when you get levels great, your needs change. I needed a tremendous amount of more insulin in the beginning than I do now so be prepared for your insulin needs to drop starting anywhere from 8wks or so on.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.