Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sunkissed527

Can I still have a big family?

sunkissed527

I am type 1 diabetic and have been for 12 years. I have good control and take humalog and lantus.

I have been in a relationship with my boyfriend for over 5 years. Although we aren't planning on marrying and having children for another 2 years so we can finish school, we have recently been talking more about our future family. This has cause me to think more about how pregnancy will affect me and how diabetes will affect my pregnancies. My question is, with tight control, is it possible for me to have a large family? My boyfriend and I always discuss how we want a lot of children but have heard a lot of rumors that diabetes may make that difficult.

raffi

While I can't answer any specifics of how diabetes can cause complications, as the father of 7 kids, I can tell you a little about how hard pregnancy can be on a woman.

My wife has had "easy" pregnancies at least when compared to many of her friends, but that in no way says it did not take its tole. She has had some small BG issues (tests did not put her in gestational diabetes) and has had thyroid issues on top of the normal raging hormones of pregnancy.

In short, it can be hard on a healthy body, so I would expect you to need to be extra careful on control. I would also ask a Doctor if any of the meds you are on are problematic for pregnancy.

sunkissed527

Right, I know right now my doctor is experimenting with Metformin (500 mg/day) with me because I do have to take a larger dosage of insulin than expected. We have discussed the importance of not becoming pregnant while on that. I think throughout my pregnancies I would switch back to the pumps (I prefer injections) to ensure stability and consistency/tighter control with my BGL's. I guess I am looking for reassurance from individuals on here who have T1 and were able to go through multiple successful pregnancies. If you fit into that category, please let me know!

ramon
While I can't answer any specifics of how diabetes can cause complications, as the father of 7 kids,

:) Holy cow raffi, dont you have a TV? Good job buddy.

Jan B

Hi!

I know of a T1 woman on this forum who has 5 healthy kids I believe. Her last one is very young, and she hasn't been logging in as frequently!

sunkissed527

Haha! no wonder why, with 5 kids she probably doesnt have the time! Good for her, that gives me hope! I want to have 4 or 5. Thanks :o)

daejhabobo

Hello, I am a type 1 mother of 5 I gave birth to the first 2 before being diagnosed. Being pregnant was very difficult for me but each of the three children were all as healthy as possible, my youngest did stay an extra day n the hospital due to his blood sugar being low bcuz of the insulin I was taking during the labor process and he was a bit large @8lb 9oz but other wise he was fine. However 2 of my children have been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes within the past three years. So genetics eventually came into play.

mortis505
Hi!

I know of a T1 woman on this forum who has 5 healthy kids I believe. Her last one is very young, and she hasn't been logging in as frequently!

If you mean Rikki, Its 6 kids. 2 boys and 4 girls. Unfortunately, someone broke the screen on her laptop. So she hasn't been on for a while.

The last 2 kids were post DX and cute and healthy kids.

Keezheekoni

What, huh...? Did someone say my name???

Hi!

Yes, I'm Rikki, and I have six, count 'em SIX kids. :)

To correct a bit of what mortis said, I was Dxed back during my 1st pregnancy, but they thought I was T2... however, I never got off of insulin, so gee that should have made some Dr. go, "hmmm!"

Had the tests back when trying to get on a pump and voila, I'm a T1. Now if only they'd tested me way back when...I might have been a better tester...live and learn.

My kids range in age from 19 years to 6 months. The first five were uncomplicated, natural deliveries. The last one decided to be a tumbler in utero and got all tangled up in his cord, causing an emergency section, much to my disappointment, but I'm glad since he's nice and healthy now.

As an aside, breastfeed! It lessens the chance that your children will develop T2, too bad I can't say the same for T1.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

(Oh and Mortis...guess who got a new laptop for Christmas!?!?)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.