Jump to content
Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

    Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jess5283

Type 1 and pregnant

Recommended Posts

jess5283

Good Evening!

 

I am type 1 and about 8 weeks pregnant. My blood sugars were in good control before I conceived but now I am working very closely with my endocronoligist to get my numbers in very tight control. I still seem to get highs randomly. Sometimes after meals, sometimes not. I was just wondering how long it took you guys to get everything in control in to avoid highs. I test about 10 times a day and every time I get a high I feel like a horrible person! Its so frustrating. I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience in the beginning?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
e||ement

yes, yes and yes.

 

i'm only 12 weeks along, but yes those first 10 weeks were entirely frustrating for me. i panicked quite a bit. my endo reassured me that they are called targets for a reason, and that if we do our best to stay within them...well that's the best we can do :)

 

i've started to relax a little, knowing that it's unreasonable to be on target at every reading...because i know i'm doing my very best.

 

i found up until 10 weeks my insulin needs increased dramatically. then it levelled off quite nicely. now, these past two days i've been experiencing more frequent lows, so i suppose i may have to adjust my insulin again.

 

it's tricky business being pregnant and diabetic!

 

anyway, i found pre-bolusing about 20 minutes before eating helps, and in some cases splitting the bolus (say 60% of the dose 20 minutes before eating, and the other 40% when you start eating). but YMMV.

 

you might want to play around with those methods when you suspect you might go higher than you'd like.

 

good luck!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Steal

I am 6 weeks along and trying to stay in such tight control. For the most part my blood sugars have stayed in the target, but randomly at 7:30pm, they start to creep up. There doesn't seem to be a reason for this at all and I just keep testing every hour and giving a little bit of insulin at a time. I went over my numbers with my endo and we increased and deceased my carb/insulin ratio depending on the time of day. That really helped me. Are you on the pump? I also have found that stress plays a huge role in my blood sugars. If I am calm, they tend to stay in a really good range. I have also been very, very careful about the carbs that I have been eating and trying to find the lowest carbs possible. I am dreaming of the day when the baby is born and I will have a yummy burrito. That is what I told my husband. The stress of "perfect" numbers, seems to be so much higher when we know that another person is relying on us. I hope that this helps and I am happy to chat with you about food and insulin.

Congratulations and good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
belyro

I found that it went in fits and starts for me. My insulin requirements kept changing, so I'd figure it out and things would be good for awhile and then they'd change and throw things off again. You can never get too "settled" before something changes again, but if you're monitoring frequently and looking for new trends, you can usually get things adjusted pretty quickly. That was my experience, anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.