Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brookie

What week do insulin requirements start to increase?

Brookie

Hi,

I was just curious around what week did most Type 1's insulin requirements start to increase in pregnancy? 10th? 15th? 20th? 25th week?

Thanks!

Brooke

e||ement

mine increased immediately...by 30% basal and 50% bolus.

but in my 11th week, things started to drop off. i'm now 12 weeks and things are continuing to drop off slowly.

i think everyone is just different!

Katrina Stovold

Well, my need for insulin dropped around 6 weeks, then only rose a tiny bit and have stayed exactly the same since! I am now 20 weeks and have not adjusted my insulin dosage at all!!! keeps staying the same..........im waiting and waiting for my insulin requirements to change! nothing yet!! x

cynthiazinn

If you are like me, this all makes you watch your diet much closer, afterall you are doing it for someone else! It may not increase as much as you would think!:)

Steal

I agree with Cynthiazinn. I am only 7.5 weeks, at this point, but have been really neurotic about my food and blood sugars, since finding out over a month ago. My blood sugars have never been better and I have been really on top of my carb intake. My A1C a month ago was 6.5. (This is the best it has ever, ever been. Most of my life it was 8.something, and now I know that it is even lower. My average on my meter for the last month is 119!)

I try not to eat more than 20-30 carbs at a time and this seems to help my body process and not need too much insulin. I find that at certain times in the day, I am a bit more resistant and we (my Endo and I) worked at looking at my carb/insulin ratio and basil rates. I test my blood almost every hour and this has really, really helped. I am hopeful that I can continue to remain as on track, but I know that my body will ultimately guide this process. So many people end up doubling their insulin doses, at some point, according to my doctor. I figure, the more on top of things I can be, the better.

Good luck to you. I think that there really isn't better inspiration than knowing that a little life is depending on us. I just get so nervous about it all and want to make sure that I am not the reason that anything bad happens. Does anyone else feel like this? Please think good thoughts, we go in on Thursday to hear the heartbeat.

SoldiersWifey

I'm 9 weeks and 5 days, and my basil changed pretty much in the beginning. However, I'm now having some major lows. I'm thinking it maybe time to change it again. :confused:

Azile

My basal rates have been increasing by slight amounts on a weekly basis since I found out I was PG. I'm now just over 11 weeks.

I also changed my insulin to carb ratio, was 1:9, it's now 1:7.

sarahspins

In my last two pregnancies (the only ones where I was diabetic from the beginning), my insulin needs stayed at PMS levels (which is 30-40% higher than normal) for the first 8-9 weeks and then decreased quite a bit towards the end of the first tri (in each case, probably 30% less than normal non-PMS requirements, but it only lasted a few weeks), gradually went back up during the second to where the pregnancy started... and during the 3rd trimesters I was adjusting insulin needs daily or every other day, and often dramatically. With my last my I:C ratio was 1:3 at the end, and I was using about 100u of Lantus per day (in a split dose), and 50-60u of Novolog.

Basically my insulin needs TRIPLED with each of my pregnancies by the end.. I was at double early in the 3rd trimester. Even my first (I was diagnosed mid-pregnancy), by the end I was on very similar doses to what I needed with the next two. My experience was that I didn't need much less pumping than on MDI.. I was refilling my MM512 daily at the end with my daughter, and leaving sites in places as long as they would tolerate (some made it 3 days, but most were changed at 2).

Katrina Stovold

Mine have just begun to increase at 24 weeks, there were 2 days were I definately had to increase but now they are going back to what they were before which is weird, bub is very fine though! Doc said it may also be my hormones! Every woman is different dont forget. Doc said it is normal for insulin needs to increase as it indicates a healthy growing bub! Cant believe my hba1c came back at 5.9%, all that will power and determination works! x

Brookie

Thanks for the responses everyone. It is comforting to know that I'm not alone in this area! I'm now 23 weeks and have been seeing dramatic increases. I was at a 1:10 carb raitio when I started and especially in the mornings I'm seeing more of an increase. My morning raitio is now 1:6 carb and I think that is about to go up...my basals overnight and in the morning have gone up dramatically too. I have to change my site for my pump on my body every 24hrs for sure....they don't last longer than that...

Sarah....100+units a day! WOW! I think I will be having to fill my pump every day by the end too. I have a feeling I will be down to a 1:3 carb ratio soon...how long after birth did it take for your requirements to go back to normal?

My doctor says the biggest changes will come between 20-24 weeks because of the growth of the placenta during this time is so great. That I may think things are locked down and in a good pattern and 2 days later it can totally change! It can be frustrating at times though...so I fax my numbers to my doc twice a week and we make necessary changes. Can't wait to see what the third trimester brings!

Thanks again all!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.