Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

foxl

Artichoke soup! with mushrooms ...

foxl

This does not seem to be a traditional way of treating artichokes (never saw it in an "authentic" cookbook), but the flavors are Greek-to-Middle Eastern ... and wonderful! Found it in Dana Carpender's 500 Low Carb recipes ... and then I added the mushrooms.

1/2 med onion (more or less)

2 stalks celery

1 clove garlic

8 oz mushrooms, sliced

2 - 4 TBS butter

1 can artichoke hearts

1 qt broth (chicken or veg, something mild)

juice of 1/2 lemon

1 c 1/2 and 1/2 or 1/2 c cream

salt, pepper, cayenne, possibly dill?

Chop and saute the vegetables in the butter in stockpot.

Run artichoke hearts and 1/2 - 1 cup broth in blender till pureed. Add puree and remainder of broth to stockpot.

Add cream. Add lemon juice. Mine curdled but with pureed hearts the texture was still okay (I used half and half).

Can be served hot (with mushrooms), or cold. The dill would be a nice addition to a cold version.

Dana's recipe points out that much of the carb in artichokes is inulin, which is not digested.

Granny Shanny

Whoa baby! It's all I can do to wait until tomorrow - not jump up & make this right now! Wish I'd gotten fresh mushrooms today when we shopped . . . thought about it & then decided "next time".

Thanks, Linda! woohooblue-1.gif

foxl
Whoa baby! It's all I can do to wait until tomorrow - not jump up & make this right now! Wish I'd gotten fresh mushrooms today when we shopped . . . thought about it & then decided "next time".

Thanks, Linda! woohooblue-1.gif

I am finishing it up for lunch today! And may make another batch later this week! Yes, we enjoyed it that much! I NEVER thought of pureeing artichoke hearts!

Delphinus
This does not seem to be a traditional way of treating artichokes (never saw it in an "authentic" cookbook), but the flavors are Greek-to-Middle Eastern ... and wonderful! Found it in Dana Carpender's 500 Low Carb recipes ... and then I added the mushrooms.

1/2 med onion (more or less)

2 stalks celery

1 clove garlic

8 oz mushrooms, sliced

2 - 4 TBS butter

1 can artichoke hearts

1 qt broth (chicken or veg, something mild)

juice of 1/2 lemon

1 c 1/2 and 1/2 or 1/2 c cream

salt, pepper, cayenne, possibly dill?

Chop and saute the vegetables in the butter in stockpot.

Run artichoke hearts and 1/2 - 1 cup broth in blender till pureed. Add puree and remainder of broth to stockpot.

Add cream. Add lemon juice. Mine curdled but with pureed hearts the texture was still okay (I used half and half).

Can be served hot (with mushrooms), or cold. The dill would be a nice addition to a cold version.

Dana's recipe points out that much of the carb in artichokes is inulin, which is not digested.

Go figure, I come to a diabetic forum to get an appetite.

Thanx! :D

Granny Shanny
Go figure, I come to a diabetic forum to get an appetite.

Thanx! :D

Getcher caboose down here . . . I have it half ready right now - just waiting to go to town to get some mushrooms. But hurry up - I tasted it & it won't last long! yum.gifyum.gifyum.gif

Granny Shanny

My everlovin' thinks I got a little carried away with the cayenne, but I thought it was, as Goldilocks sez, just right! Am on my way to email the recipe to the kids . . . thanks again, Linda!

foxl

I keep thinking about this soup! I bet I will have several variations on it before the end of winter ... and it is fast enough to be an after-work meal, too.

Granny Shanny
I keep thinking about this soup! I bet I will have several variations on it before the end of winter ... and it is fast enough to be an after-work meal, too.

I'm about to go have some for breakfast . . . :D :D :D

(hey! it was 11:30 when I got outta bed - so yes, this is breakfast! :T)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.