Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LTParis

Looks like I have it now

LTParis

So over the past week I had been getting the classic signs of diabetes. First the extreme thirst and frequent urination hit me quickly, then I noticed I was getting a lot more exhausted (and I work very long hours, travel, etc). Some symptoms passed but came back yesterday. Today I got some keto-diastix and after 5 samples I have registered somewhere between > 500 ml/dl to 2000 ml/dl for my Glucose and neutral > 5 ml/dl on my Ketones.

To add a couple extra factors to this, right now I am 350 miles from my home and tomorrow is my 36th birthday. *sigh*. Plus I can hope I get to my general practitioner tomorrow so the diagnosis can be confirmed and what actions are required.

So I need to plan out some "emergency" meals to get me through the night and tomorrow which will help me do more good than harm but I am pretty much limited to fast food options. Can anyone recommend some options?

notme
So over the past week I had been getting the classic signs of diabetes. First the extreme thirst and frequent urination hit me quickly, then I noticed I was getting a lot more exhausted (and I work very long hours, travel, etc). Some symptoms passed but came back yesterday. Today I got some keto-diastix and after 5 samples I have registered somewhere between > 500 ml/dl to 2000 ml/dl for my Glucose and neutral > 5 ml/dl on my Ketones.

To add a couple extra factors to this, right now I am 350 miles from my home and tomorrow is my 36th birthday. *sigh*. Plus I can hope I get to my general practitioner tomorrow so the diagnosis can be confirmed and what actions are required.

So I need to plan out some "emergency" meals to get me through the night and tomorrow which will help me do more good than harm but I am pretty much limited to fast food options. Can anyone recommend some options?

I am sorry that you are feeling ill. Until you see your doctor, I would stick to leavy greens and any other type of green salad you can get from fast food. Obviously, sugar free drinks are the only type you should be drinking. Steer clear of milk as it has a lot of lactose that can cause problems. If you eat meat, you can order a burger but no bun. Chicken would be best as long as it is not breaded.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

LTParis

Thanks. I will try to get to a good salad or salad bar place close by. Any recommendations for "travel food". One think I am sure got me into trouble is for the past 11 months I have had to drive from NY > VA and back virtually every week and I succumbed to sweet drinks (Sprite, Sweet Tea), lots of "bad" carbs (refined flours, refined sugars), and just overall general unhealthy eating.

Also with my glucose so high right now do I risk pushing myself if I try to get any exercise today? I took a nap to try to get past this exhausted state I am in but I don't want to go over the edge and find myself in a bad spot.

Delphinus

Which type do you suspect?

Type 1 is more fun. I mean needles and insulin rock. :D

Keep us posted, and you have loads of support here.

raffi

Also with my glucose so high right now do I risk pushing myself if I try to get any exercise today?

I was told there is a BG level above which you should not exercise, but I can't remember the number off hand. A quick google search just says avoid strenuous exercise if your BG is high. Sounds like a walk might be OK, but don't run.

Subby
Today I got some keto-diastix and after 5 samples I have registered somewhere between > 500 ml/dl to 2000 ml/dl for my Glucose and neutral > 5 ml/dl on my Ketones.

Wait... are you talking 500 to 2000 mg/dl for a glucose reading?

I don't know, having not used diastix for a glucose reading, but if it's the case, things are bad and time is off the essence. The following is written assuming that's the case. If not, well, that's good.

I understand your wish to control your situation, to tread water, wait it out and see a preferred doctor. But be aware that these levels suggest the likelihood of diabetic ketoacisosis occurring is very high. DKA is extremely dangerous, it can send you unconscious or into a coma against your will. It is not something to handle with willpower and gritting your teeth.

If your blood sugars are at this level, a ball is rolling, it's not simply a case of avoiding certain foods to halt the issue.

There is always a chance that you make it through to see your doc. But be aware that any reasonable hospital will be immediately hospitalising and stabilizing you if you have these levels. Even if you wait for your local clinic, you can be doing terrible damage right now. I'd recommend simply heading for the nearest medical help you can. Sometimes life just needs to be put on hold, no matter how inconvenient is. This may be one of those moments.

LTParis
Which type do you suspect?

Type 1 is more fun. I mean needles and insulin rock. :D

Keep us posted, and you have loads of support here.

My gut says Type 2 although the quick onset points more towards Type 1. What I think happened is for years I have been building a tolerance that I was unaware what was going on then the point of critical mass hit and I became fully aware.

The first big tip off was the unquenchable thirst and frequent urination. Then I noticed I was getting more tired, earlier.

We shal see. I just hope that diet and exercise alone can help.

nec209

No not eat any white bread or buns and eat no crackers has they have high sugar .

VA and back virtually every week and I succumbed to sweet drinks (Sprite, Sweet Tea), lots of "bad" carbs (refined flours, refined sugars), and just overall general unhealthy eating.

Well sweet drinks and sugars do it :eek: not fat.Junk foods so good to the tayst but have too much sugar and it is harder for your body to process it.

TommyC1

If I was in your situation, until I could get to the Dr., I would try to eat zero carbohydrates, (eat meat, cheese and I don't know what else) drink lots of water, and go easy on the exercise.

Keep tabs on the ketones and if they get too high or you start feeling real sick get to the hospital.

Worst case right now, I think, would be going into DKA (diabetic keto acidosis).

Otherwise see your Dr. as soon as you can so that you can get it sorted out. And read everything you can about diabetes. It's a condition that requires active management by you. Drs. can provide advise and prescriptions, but you have to figure out what works for you and make it work.

Good Luck!

kgm0612

Welcome to the forum, LTParis.

When you do get in to see your doctor, ask him/her to run a C-Peptide and a GAD antibody. This will determine whether you are a type 1 or type 2.

As far as snacks.........pick up a jar or can of nuts for snacking while you're driving. An apple, pear, or sugar-free pudding cups are other options. I normally don't eat fast foods, but when I do, I usually order a salad or grilled chicken.

Karen

foxl

YES, ZERO CARBS, and get in ASAP -- can you call to get an appt, before you go home?

My MD was not amused that I waited 3 days to see him and I was in DKA when I arrived. It is dangerous. I would plan on taking a few things for overnight, to your appt. -- I got wheeled across the street to the hospital from his office.

jenb

If your blood sugar is hovering over 500 you really do need to get yourself medical attention NOW! As others have said, and I have experienced, DKA is dangerous. I urge you to go see a doctor today, or check yourself in to an emergency room before someone else has to do it for you.

Jen

Subby

LTParis, let us know what you are up to, when you can. We're worried out here. Hopefully you've gotten to a doc and are being stabilised right now. We'll be eager to hear the news of how you get on.

poodlebone

You can eat fast food burgers without the buns. Watch the salads because the additions they sometimes offer can really add up. Plain salad greens with the most basic dressing is best.

You can also go to many of the chain pharmacies or WalMart and get a cheap all-in-one meter/strips combo pretty cheap. I think it comes with 25 strips, and that will tell you much more than urine strips.

nec209

I like crackers but they are very bad has they have sugar and the sugar will spike.

Well fruilt is better to have than chips or crackers has chips or crackers have alot of sugar and will get your sugar to spike.

LTParis

Sorry for keeping those worried. It's been a busy couple days. I am doing quite well right now. I did my normal VA > NY trip and had more energy than I have had in the past couple weeks.

My former readings of 500 > 2000 ml/dl were urine, not blood. I don't have any strips for my glucometer. The night that I posted I pretty much quit most carbs, sugary drinks (sprite, sweat tea). Since my urine redings have now been < 500. A big improvement but of course still way too high.

The earliest appointment I could make was this coming Monday. Now that I am feeling quite better than I was I should be able to hold out. If I begin to feel bad again it's straight to the ER.

I am already focused to going back to a Zone diet that I had a lot of success with a few years back that allowed me to lose 38 pounds in < 2 months. I doubt I will lose the weight that quickly again but I should be able to shed off my excess weight. I am right now 233, was 240 a couple weeks ago but that now points to the "unexplained weight loss". My goal is 185-190. I forgot that shoppingto reduce carbs, eliminate HFCS, find good sources of protein, etc is such a challenge.

I just hope in the end this is something that can be controlled by diet and exercise.

jenb

Glad you posted...I was wondering how you fared. Let us know how your check up goes.

Completely independent of diabetes, I am a real fan of the Zone plan. Easy to stick to for very long periods of time and easy to get back to if you fall off the wagon. I lost 50 pounds following Dr. Sears. That was a couple of years prior to my T1 diagnosis, so I really didn't have to make many changes in my diet once I entered the wonderful world of diabetes;).

Jen

LTParis

Well update on my condition. On Wednesday I took a Blood Glucose Challenge (75ml/3 hour) and quite frankly I felt pretty good. I hadn't heard from my doctor and I made my holiday trip to VT on the 24th. Little did I know that my Dr's office called the house late morning to see if I could come in ASAP and that it was "critical". I didn't get the message till 2AM on the 25th.

Now I have to wonder how critical it is that they wanted me to schedule an appointment first thing on Monday instead of going to the ER. My assumption is my Blood Glucose levels are high but not life threatening. Checking my keto-diasticks I have been running <500 which is still much better than I was doing, but way too high.

One thing I have noticed is since I have been trying to stick to a strict diet regimen, I have lost a bit of weight. Just a couple weeks ago I was hovering around the 240 mark, this morning I am at 226 (pounds since my last post). I would like to think that my dietary changes are working but I fear that if I am diabetic (which sounds like a sure thing unless this critical issue is not diabetes) that I am loosing more muscle than anything. Thoughts on that?

It sucks not knowing what is up, and having to wait till Monday to find out, especially on the holidays.

TommyC1

I'm thinking it's "critical" that you get in to see the Dr in the next week or so, to start figuring out what sort of diabetes you have and how you will treat it.

I think the low carb diet may be responsible for your weight loss. It does that for me.

Keep checking the ketones. If they are in a good range then I think you will be OK until you get your appointment.

Cluck
Welcome to the forum, LTParis.

When you do get in to see your doctor, ask him/her to run a C-Peptide and a GAD antibody. This will determine whether you are a type 1 or type 2.

As far as snacks.........pick up a jar or can of nuts for snacking while you're driving. An apple, pear, or sugar-free pudding cups are other options. I normally don't eat fast foods, but when I do, I usually order a salad or grilled chicken.

Karen

Apple and pear are not a good idea; all of these will contain a substantial number of carb grams. Nuts would be better, but meat and cheese are your best options for cutting out as many carbs as possible until you see your doctor.

jenb

Well...not to harsh your buzz, but losing 14 pounds in two weeks seems more like a big indicator that your blood sugar is seriously high and you are getting into DKA territory. Are you drinking and urinating excessively? How's your energy level? Are you testing your BG frequently? You should probably avoid carbs, especially starches and probably fruit and dairy, to the extent possible until you see your doctor.

Jen

LTParis

Well I have always consumed a lot of liquids all my life, but I have not been approaching the "uncontrollable" thirst I had when I first posted. I have returned to a more normal state. Unfortunately I don't have strips for my meter that we had years ago, so I can't test BG.

Just been eating as healthy (and low carb) as possible.

LTParis

So finally have my results. Fasting BG is 342, A1c's are at 10.1. My BG has jumped 220 and A1c's 2 fold in the past 2 years.

So I am on Metformin (gradual increase to 1250mg over 5 weeks) and I have already changed my diet for the better. Now I just need to incorporate exercise into my routine.

I've also dropped down to 225 so my weight loss continues.

ramon
So finally have my results. Fasting BG is 342, A1c's are at 10.1. My BG has jumped 220 and A1c's 2 fold in the past 2 years.

So I am on Metformin (gradual increase to 1250mg over 5 weeks) and I have already changed my diet for the better. Now I just need to incorporate exercise into my routine.

I've also dropped down to 225 so my weight loss continues.

LT I hope you have insurance because you need to test several times a day. You cant fool around with this like I did. I took the meds but did not test like I should have and my stupidity cost me dearly. Now my health is in shambles and all I had to do is feed according to my meter. Switching to diet sodas suck I know but after drinking it for 2 weeks you will actually prefer it. Now if I drink anything with sugar it will make me puke esp soft drinks. Adjustment takes a little time but it can be done and it is necessary. Good luck buddy and please let us know how you are doing cause I hate this d@mn disease worse then I hate cancer.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.