Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Katrina Stovold

What happens at birth?? Induced or ceasar or natural?? I am very scared!

Katrina Stovold

OK, SO, I am now 20 weeks preg! My doc said all type 1's get induced at 38 weeks, has anyone else had this experience? how did you go?

Any side effects and is it dangerous? I am hoping I will go into labour before 38 weeks and naturally,....did anyone go beyond 38 weeks and gave birth ok? Anyone forced to have a ceasar due to a big baby! Is it true that we get induced at 38 weeks? Is this what happens in your country? I am honestly scared of inducing the baby as it doesnt seem natural yet at the same time I am scared of going beyond the 38 week mark incase the baby grows too big and wont fit thru the birth canal and i wil be forced to have a ceasar or a risky natural birth. Is it ok to be induced? Your experiences would be welcomed......thanks in advance for sharing......x

belyro

I was supposed to be induced at 38 weeks. Apparently (and I didn't know this beforehand), it's not simply a matter of the baby's size. The risk in waiting longer is that the baby's heart will stop. I don't fully understand why this happens, but apparently it's siginificantly more common in babies of diabetic mothers. I wasn't keen on an induction either, but to me it was a WAY better option than risking the life of my baby! I know there are other well-controlled diabetic moms who have insisted on carrying the baby to full-term and not getting induced. I think it's really a personal decision, but you'll probably have a hard time convincing your doctor to let you go beyond 38 weeks (and maybe for good reason).

I ended up having a c-section after all because baby was breech and my retinopathy was acting up so my ophthalmologist didn't want me to do any pushing. Honestly, I was SO happy I ended up having a c-section. The recovery wasn't pleasant, but I don't imagine the recovery from a natural childbirth is always pleasant either. The c-section itself was so quick, though, and actually quite easy, even for squeamish me.

I think your best bet is to find a doctor you trust, ask lots of questions so you understand exactly why he/she is making the recommendations he/she is, bring up issues if there are things you aren't comfortable with and try to make compromises so that you ARE comfortable, and then try to relax in the knowledge that your doctor is doing what is best for you and the baby.

Good luck!

cynthiazinn

I was induced at 38 weeks X2. They have found that the benefits of doing this outweigh the risks. They will start you on a pitocin (synthetic oxytocin) drip when you arrive and possibly manually rupture your membranes. They will closely monitor your BG and give you insulin along with the pit and regular IV fluids. One thing to monitor: babies of diabetic moms almost always have a BG crash after birth, make sure they are checking often. If you are breastfeeding ask them to give glucose injection rather than formula so you do not interrupt the natural breastfeeding cycle!

Good Luck

genie86333

Hi!

I had c-sections all 3 times because of non-diabetic-related complictions with my 1st two (one tangled in cord, one breech.) My 1st diabetic pregnancy I went into labor before they planned to induce (she had a small head like her dad so they thought she was due much later) and my youngest was delivered 2 weeks early by planned c-section.

My oldest's blood sugar dropped immediately whe they cut the cord, but had no other issues once they got it back to normal. The younger one had issues for a couple days but, but nothing related to the diabetes or the early delivery. (They had a hard time delivering her even via c-section so she swallowed & inhaled things she wasn't supposed to.)

Katrina Stovold

Thank you very very much! I am feeling very happy and confident now and thankful and also grateful that I can be induced at 38 weeks, all makes sense why now! I guess its an advantage as we know now when baby is coming out for sure and can plan around the birth and ensure I am already in the hospital ready to be induced! HOw exciting, I am so excited! I cant wait to be a mum! I'll let you all know how I go! x

mazea

To add another experience, I refused an induction offered for 38 weeks and was booked in for induction at 39 1/2 weeks. I was allowed to go to 39 1/2 weeks with the condition of doing fetal heartbeat monitoring. I didn't make it to the induction as labor started at 39 weeks. I didn't use painkillers but found the gas. The gas was good. You have a break from labor when the contractions aren't happening (Half the time)

I controlled my blood sugars for the first half of my labor (injections ) and my blood glucose was controlled by drip in the second half. My blood glucose stayed between 5 and 8 in the first half and 8 - 10 in the second half.

bub had the highest apgar score when born.

Despite having a HBAC1 of 4.8-6 for most of the pregnancy, my 2nd stage labor blood sugars were high so the night bub was born, he developed low blood sugars and was not well and was placed in the special care nursery for 10 days. He was fine after that and came home

Labor was easy, managing to check your blood sugars with a bub that can't be put down most of the day will be challenging for you.

sarah91

I had a planned c section at 40 weeks. Initially the consultants put me off having a c section and I had convinced myself that a natural birth was the best. Then at 39 weeks in ante natal clinic they booked me in for a c section. I was a bit shocked and had a reflexology session and took raspberry leaf tablets for a few days to try to bring on natural labour but nothing happened.

Having the c section was ok. I was very nervous but all went well. Babys sugars were very low and I had to formula feed as I did not produce any breast milk to bring her sugar levels up.

Amy is now 9 weeks old, 11lb 6oz in weight and growing fast.

telizas

I don't know of any place near me (Minneapolis) that does planned induction for diabetes. They will do regular fetal monitoring, though.

Remember, you have the right to refuse to be induced. If your baby is otherwise doing fine, its always safer to go into labor on your own and deliver as naturally as possible.

If you are planning on breastfeeding, don't let them give your baby formula if they have low blood sugar. Sugar water in a cup or spoon will work just as well(yes, a baby WILL take it from a spoon or a cup!).

Alternatively:

If you make it to 36 weeks, it is then safe to start pumping your breasts. This could put you into labor naturally, AND you should save and freeze any colostrum you get, and use that instead of formula or sugar water if babe isn't nursing and has low blood sugar. Warm it under a hot tap in the hospital before giving to the baby (check the temp!).

mazea

A lactation consultant told me Diabetics sometimes have difficulty establishing breastfeeding. I don't know if this was true, but I wasn't able to get more than a 10 ml of colostrum and milk during double pumping for 9 days after birth and was about to give up. Don't give up though, one day on day 9 jsut when I'd decided to start formula fully, the milk came in really late, but it came in and bub has been breastfeeding fully ever since.

Double pumping is a also good option because it simulates twins and your breasts will try to produce more milk. I double pumped every 4 hours ( in the night and in addition to breastfeeding ) in the beginning and bub was fed via a tube as well as breastfeeding every 8 hours.

Expressing before hand is a good option as it can bring on an early labor I have heard. Like pp said wait until 36 weeks. I waited until 37 weeks and started expressing and got about 10ml all up during the 2 weeks expressing. I didn't get to use it though as hubby left it out of the fridge when we arrived at the hospital. lol. After 10 hours of expressing. : )

Breastfeeding consists of foremilk and hind milk. I find my bub likes to drink the foremilk from both breasts before he will start on the hindmilk. He also falls asleep during breastfeeding when he has wind in his belly. I usually burp when he falls asleep and he is quite happy to start feeding again.

Breastfeeding did some funny things to my blood sugars in the beginning as it caused my blood sugar to drop 5 mmol every feed and caused hypos.

Bub is now 8 weeks and demand feeds maybe once every 45 minutes to 4 hours. I spend most of my time on the couch breastfeeding is a lengthy business. I started to breastfeed bub 12 hours a day. It is now down to about 8 hours at 8 weeks.

cynthiazinn

Besides pumping at 36 weeks there are also some accupressure points that the massage therapist can manipulate to help put you in labor!

SoldiersWifey

:bawling: I'm really scared about inducing too. I knew when I decided to have this baby that it wasn't going to be a walk in the park. However, it's always been my dream. This pregnancy has been really hard on me though and I don't know if I can go through it again. So this will most likely be my first and last.

I suppose what scares me the most, is the thought that my baby will have to stay in the hospital for a while. Can you guys tell me how long your babies had to stay? Maybe it will ease my mind a bit. :bawling:

telizas

Why would your baby have to stay in the hospital? You being diabetic will not mean your baby has to stay. If your baby has complications, then sure, but being diabetic in and of itself doesn't warrant keeping a baby any extra period of time.

My 4lb 5oz baby didn't have to stay any extra time, and neither did the one I had when I was actually diabetic. She was a little over 6lbs, had low blood sugar right after birth, nursed a bit and was fine.

The main reason diabetics "have trouble breastfeeding" is not due to anything related to diabetes, but that breastfeeding is often delayed due to trying to bring baby's bg up (baby can have a large drop due to not being exposed to mom's glucose in the womb) and that most diabetic women assume they have to be induced. Induction & pain medications will make your baby sleepy and less likely to nurse right away, leading to the use of bottles and/or formula and/or pacifiers, all of which can hurt a breastfeeding relationship.

My advice, as a birth doula, have as natural a delivery as possible, use as few interventions and drugs as possible (you can refuse ANY TREATMENT YOU DON'T WANT) and breastfeed as soon as possible. There is no reason, if you are well-controlled, that you cannot have a "normal" labor and delivery. In fact, having a normal labor and delivery, if you are well controlled, can keep your bgs from spiking during labor.

genie86333

All of my babies came home with me when I was released. The oldest & youngest both *almost* had to stay 1 extra day, but again it wasn't because of diabetes in either case & their doctors both decided in the end to send them home with me

mazea

bub was in the special care nursery due to having hypoglacemia at birth due to my blood sugars being 10mmol in labor. He required to have a tube for feeding and heal pricks to keep his blood sugar above 3 mmol for 10 days but it really wasn't much compared to some of the other babies in the ICU. But he was sick and not well probably due to him hypoing for 10 hours before it was picked up after his birth due to pathology error on his first blood test. They kept him in that long because it took 8 days for his blood sugar to stabilise and 2 extra days to allow for my milk to come in so he wouldn't have to stay on formula.

I found it wonderful that we could take bub down to my room for 3 hours of time away from the special care unit. I found the time in the room where we could have skin to skin ( a term where the babies skin is against yours and is good for bringing your milk in) is good for helping the bond between you and the baby. Try the skin to skin.

redmel21

I had a c-sect at 37 wks. She was great, big, but great! I was fine. Hope all is well. Oh I got to hold her 3 minutes afterwards :)

jerryn
OK, SO, I am now 20 weeks preg! My doc said all type 1's get induced at 38 weeks, has anyone else had this experience? how did you go?

Any side effects and is it dangerous? I am hoping I will go into labour before 38 weeks and naturally,....did anyone go beyond 38 weeks and gave birth ok? Anyone forced to have a ceasar due to a big baby! Is it true that we get induced at 38 weeks? Is this what happens in your country? I am honestly scared of inducing the baby as it doesnt seem natural yet at the same time I am scared of going beyond the 38 week mark incase the baby grows too big and wont fit thru the birth canal and i wil be forced to have a ceasar or a risky natural birth. Is it ok to be induced? Your experiences would be welcomed......thanks in advance for sharing......x

My wife doesn't have DB but her water broke when she was close to term so the obstatrician induced labor. Whats involved is an IV drip of Pitocin. The side effect is this does not give you a chance to get used to the labor pain gradualy. It comes on pretty quick. My wife had a saddle block at the time to help. We made it through ok. I was there 100% of the time. I remember my wife eating lots of ice chips, the breating from birth classes helped. grabbing on to my arm and squeezing helped.

It's a part of life.. heck we had 2 more sons after that.

Good Luck!

Katrina Stovold

oh thanks! yes, it is standard practice over here in Australia to induce at 38 weeks - 39 weeks, the reason for that is that we do tend to have bigger babies us type 1 diabetics and once the baby reaches a certain size (which it is most likely to reach earlier than mothers without type 1) then they will induce as it is safer to get the baby out as the placenta can start deteriorating/maturing earlier in type 1's and also it will be too big to fit. They do ofcourse do lots of monitoring of the babys size and maybe in a rare case the baby can stay in till 40 weeks! Also, the chances of having a cesearean are higher too......! I dont mind as long as me and bub are ok, I want to thank everyone for their answers and help! and keep your experiences coming! I did have a chat to the OB and he pretty much said that yes, we will induce around 38/39 weeks, chances of C/SECTION are higher too. see how I go, I just keep very tight control, but ofcourse no matter how hard you try I still have my weird days where my sugars go high or low **** it!! xx

KatieJ

I did not have diabetes when I had my 4 sons, but I did have my boys both ways. The c-section isn't as scary as it seems. I actually opted to have my last son via c-section. The initial recovery stinks, but I seemed to feel more myself sooner. Just remember that the goal is a healthy baby.

mell1682
:bawling: I'm really scared about inducing too. I knew when I decided to have this baby that it wasn't going to be a walk in the park. However, it's always been my dream. This pregnancy has been really hard on me though and I don't know if I can go through it again. So this will most likely be my first and last.

I suppose what scares me the most, is the thought that my baby will have to stay in the hospital for a while. Can you guys tell me how long your babies had to stay? Maybe it will ease my mind a bit. :bawling:

Sending a million hugs your way! I've had 2 very different diabetic pregnancies. My first was full of fear, stress and problems. I had high amniotic fluid, major swelling, and a big baby. All of these with a "good" A1C at the END of my pregnancy. (my A1C was not stellar prior to conception both times, I was uninsured and both of my lil miracles were SURPRISES!). With my oldest I was induced at 36 weeks after an amnio at 35 weeks had shown lung maturity. It was typical at this doctor's practice to induce diabetics at 36 weeks after an amnio, so were induced very shortly after the results came in. My daughter weighed 7 lbs 9 oz at birth and though the amnio had shown lung maturity, she still had some major problems at birth. Danielle spent 9 days in the NICU due to a variety of problems quite typical to babies of diabetic mommies (large, issues breathing, low blood sugar). I didn't require a c-section with Danielle and I got to stay at the hospital because I had a very understanding staff. It was definitely a trying time for us but I look back now and think WOW, we have come so far and it could've been so much worse. (Dani is now almost 6 and runs my house in her bossy sassy lil way! She blows me away and I truly feel she is a miracle in every way!)

My second pregnancy was much different. My control levels were the same but I think the fact that I had already been through it once let a LOT of stress off of me. I was 38 weeks, 2 days when I was induced with her and from the start, things were different because I picked a different practice that didn't induce until 38 wks. Sam was 6 lbs 7 oz and her blood sugars were completely normal as well as her breathing. It was quite exciting to have her actually stay in the same room as me during our hospital stay! Sam was NOT a c-section baby either. She never spent a moment away from me and she was actually released from the hospital before I was :laugh:. She is now just 4 yrs old, and she is sooooo spoiled and so the queen of the house! She even knocked out her older sister's first loose tooth. :)

I hope things go smoothly for you and that you don't have to spend a moment away from your precious baby but please know, if you do, you WILL make it and one day it'll be a memory! :) Best of luck to you and Katrina!!

Katrina Stovold

Thank you so much Melissa for sharing your story. Much appreciated. I am addicted to this forum, great helpful people! and wow you have been a type 1 since 5 years! Me, Ive been type 1 for about 8 years, Im now 32 years. Im becoming more relaxed, was freaked out by the idea of the pain of childbirth but I guess I wont be the first to go thru it! thanks again! x

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.