Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sasha

who do you see?

sasha

Just wanted some advice who actually deals with the pregnancy and birth is it your own doctor? Daft question but in the uk i was very lucky and you just had everything seen to by the diabetic clinic you went to! its a lot different in the usa and seems a bit complicated , we just started looking at health insurance ! another nightmare !

Katrina Stovold

I just go to the RPA here in Sydney. I see the endo and obstetrician there! They take care of everything even tho all the midwifes are so mean mean mean!!! oh and the nurses are so critical of my sugar results!!! I cry every time !!! The only nice people are the docs who understand how hard I try and how well I am doing hba1c was 6.8%!!!!! There is no need to see my own doc as the diabetic clinic (womens and babies) takes care of everything!! Seriously though, they are so mean and I am never good enough, they expect perfection and try to adjust my doses based on a random high or low here and there, overall I am doing really well the docs say!!!!! I wont be having another baby because I hate the clinic!!!!!! Nah, I probably will but they make it such a nightmare!!!

Steal

I am a Kaiser member and they are very proactive about pregnancy. They had me start to see the Perinatologist and Endochronologist for pre-pregnancy counseling. I went for one session and didn't know that I was already pregnant. After that they set up more appointments. They told me that I could see my regular Obgyn and their endocrinologist, but my obgyn wanted me to stick with the perinatologist (high risk pregnancy). I have appointments every two weeks. I am almost 9 weeks along and have been in 3 times.

I hope you find the right place to go. I just wanted to make sure that the people that I saw had the most information and could help me. As a Type I since the age of 6 (23 years), I often find that I have a better sense of what works for me than they do. But, now that I am pregnant, things are just not as predictable. It helps to have other people to bounce the ideas off of.

Good luck!

-Steph

belyro

I'm in Canada and I dealt with an OBGYN for my pregnancy. (Of course, that was in addition to my ophthalmologist, my endocrinologist, my CDE, a dietician, a massage therapist, and regular fetal assessments (i.e. ultrasounds). There were LOTS of appointments!) I didn't see my family doctor at all during my pregnancy except for the "you're pregnant" appointment.

Katrina Stovold

Yes, I forgot to add: I never saw my family doc throughout the pregnancy except the initial "Im pregnant" apptmt. I then saw the endocrinologist, obestetrician, nutritionist, lactation person and am told I will have lots of fetal monitoring - ultrasounds closer to my due date, I see the endo crinologist every 3 weeks if they are happy with me, there was a stage early in the pregnancy where they saw me every week, thankfully I only work part time, there is no way I could hold down a full time job and take a day off a week without the boss getting suss!! Its so annoying.......all these appointments! x

maedchen0324

Sasha - I think it depends a lot on your endocrinologist. The Endo I'm seeing now is at a university hospital diabetes center and they work with a high-risk ob/gyn who specializes in diabetes in pregnancy, so that's who they will have me go see once I get pg. I'd suggest calling around to different endocrinolgist and doing some research on how they do things.

My previous endo was way too lax IMO. I was going through fertility treatments and contacted him as soon as we found out I was pg. He was acting like I was jumping the gun in calling him so soon which I thought was really strange... :confused: The pregnancy ended up being tubal and he later told me, "well, next time call us when you know the pregnancy is viable"... :banghead: And that explains why he no longer is my endo!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.