Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tinaintexas

Metformin side effects

tinaintexas

I'm reposting from Pre-Diabetes forum. I would appreciate any insights...

Last Thursday I was diagnosed with PCOS insulin resistant/pre-diabetic.

The Endo put me on Metformin. 500 mg said to start with one and every couple oh days add another and work up to 4 x a day.

I am SO sick. I've never gotten past one a day. Symptoms are major nausea occasional stomach cramps. I am very tired occasionally get light headed and feel faint as if my blood sugar is too low.

The Endo said nothing about diet. The pharmacist encouraged me to try a low glycemic diet. Said I might be able to avoid meds.

So, I don't know if I've over done it on restricting carbs or if I am one of those who have a really tough time with met.

Thoughts? Any tricks for alleviating nausea?

tinaintexas

CALynn....I've been doing this all along. It just makes me sick!

Last night I took a half and today feel signficantly better.

Thanks for your input! I think including milk may have helped.

CALynn

Someone wrote that taking Benefiber along with the pill really helps.

I was plagues with the nausea for 1-2 months - don't know how I put up with it. The only upshot was that I lost 20 pounds because of the nausea.

mason330

I had all of the same issues with the met. The gas pain was unbearable for me and I quit taking it. The problem is that the alternatives arent available in generic and are quite expensive. Good luck to you!

Hammer

Tina, I had the bad side effects with all oral diabetes drugs. I decided that as long as I didn't have to put it in my stomach, I'd be okay, so I switched to insulin and Byetta. No more stomach problems.:)

JoanW

I've heard that eating yogurt was beneficial when taking metformin. The ones with the live culture are recommended, as apparently they help with the internal bacteria in the colon. I have just added Glumetza back into my regimen with my insulin, and so far have had no problems. Glumetza is metformin in an extended release format. I do eat probiotic yoghurt (Activia type) several days a week.

Pete4638
I'm reposting from Pre-Diabetes forum. I would appreciate any insights...

Last Thursday I was diagnosed with PCOS insulin resistant/pre-diabetic.

The Endo put me on Metformin. 500 mg said to start with one and every couple oh days add another and work up to 4 x a day.

I am SO sick. I've never gotten past one a day. Symptoms are major nausea occasional stomach cramps. I am very tired occasionally get light headed and feel faint as if my blood sugar is too low.

The Endo said nothing about diet. The pharmacist encouraged me to try a low glycemic diet. Said I might be able to avoid meds.

So, I don't know if I've over done it on restricting carbs or if I am one of those who have a really tough time with met.

Thoughts? Any tricks for alleviating nausea?

Extended release metformin does the trick for a lot of people. I take a generic XR, 1000 mg per day, and I can take it on an empty stomach with no issues at all. Thank God! It is a fantastic drug!

Pete

Castellanox7

Hi tinain,

I had the same problems as you, but mine seemed to be a "WTF IS THIS?" reaction from my body. As soon as it adjusted, I was fine.

The things that set me off were Splenda and the "juices" associated with red meat. (I.e. I could eat a McD patty no problem, but if I were to eat just the steak from a stromboli, I'd go into DEFCON-5 evacuation mode).

Since then, I can do Splenda, but the meat still sometimes gets to me. Cut it in half, add fiber and keep plugging away. Once your body gets acclimated, it's a godsend.

Byron B

Like everyone else the side effects are very bad. 24 hrs of the trots after certain foods. In my case any fat (can be from meat or vegitable oil) triggers the effect. Example: Chistmas Eve Roast Beef. 24 hrs of suffering. Chrismas Day: Lean Pork Roast. No problem. I got the same warning from the Doc and Drugstore that everyone gets, but no one mentioned the effect that certain foods would have. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this connection between higher fat foods and the side effects.

Lloyd

Some people have no side effects.

Most people have some, but they go away after 1 to 2 weeks, or at least become manageable.

I've been on it 16 years, the only problem I had was in the first couple of weeks.

If you have given metformin a fair shot and your body does not adjust to it, please talk to your doctor, there are a number of other medications that can help with T2. Metformin is always worth a try, it primarily regulates how much glucose your liver releases, so if you can tolerate it, it helps without the danger of making you go low. Don't beat your head against the wall though, if your body can't handle it, go on to the next choice.

Some people do better with the extended release version, or with a smaller dose at first, though this does not always work out.

Best wishes,

-Lloyd

BRTY0708

You Do Know You Suppose To Take The Metformin With Food, Preferably Your Biggest Meal Of The Day, And Try To Make That Lunch, Not Dinner, So You Won't Have So Much On Your Stomach Before Bed.

peachieone

I had issues too. I started at 2 x 500 and the doctor said to double that (i.e.: 2 x 500 twice a day) in a week. It was too much for me so I slowed things down, stuck to the original dose for a couple more weeks, then went with three x 500 for awhile and took six weeks to get to 2 x 500 twice a day. I did try the extended release recently too and they do seem a little more user friendly. Mostly I am OK at the top dose now though, if I eat poorly, my system lets me know - quickly!

stinastina

I had terrible stomach pains and constant diarrhea. After two weeks, I gave up. Now I am on Actos & Januvia. My Insurance covers Actos but not Januvia.

ramon

There's a simple solution to this nausea and its called PROCHLORPERAZINE 10mg. Its like a synthetic THC given for people who undergo chemotherapy or midsection radiation therapy and it stops nausea dead in its tracks. Its like smoking a joint but you don't get high. Works like a charm. I felt pig sick under chemo and took 1 pill a day and no more stomach problems.

puppypadlady

Hello Tinaintexas

You mentioned that you re posted this ... may i have the website for Pre-Diabetes.

I have a Dr app on Fri i guess i have PCOS and she wants to put me on Metformin.

But i am so confused and am so bad with mediacl terms etc i have no idea if being insulin resistant means one is pre diabetic or what...:(

thanks for the help!

Michael_lambert

Just courious if there has been an update?

Personally i am on day 5 of taking 5 x 500 MG and it was a rough 5 days. However i am down to 1 maybe 2 moments a day depending what i eat. Compared to day 1 an 2 when i felt i was going to move into the bathroom.

tinaintexas

As requested an update...

So, I switched to the regular and cut it half. Only take 250 mg was the trick in terms of getting rid of nausea.

I stayed on that till after Xmas then added another half in the am. Waited a few days. I am now taking 750 mg a day but think its just about time to 1o to 1,000.

Imodium was my friend for a few days after switching to reg metformin (initially prescribed the XR) but that subsided as was much easier for me than that awful nausea.

I still don't feel "good." In fact, I can't say I have felt really good any day since I started this drug but I have lost about 13 lbs since diagnosed on 12/17.

I hope that the general unwell feeling goes away....

Dis-N-Dat

Hi Tina:

After 6 months on Met, I still eat a little bite of cheese when I take my Met. It has relived my nausea and more importantly stopped my diahrea. You might want to consider giving that a go before you give up on the Met. In the very beginning it did take my body a full 2 weeks for my gut to get used to the drug.

Sure hope yo feel better soon. :tee:

CALynn

By the way, if you have a rheumatic disease [e.g., Rheumatoid Arthritis or Osteoarthritis] you probably take NSAIDS. I've found that NSAIDS cause constipation. So between the NSAIDS and the Metformin you may not have diarrhea or constipation.

Off topic: to those who told me to try the Metformin ER - thanks. It worked. No nausea so far. I tend to break in my drugs slowly. I just spent this week taking 500 mg Met daily and now I'm moving up to 500 mg Met twice daily.

BarbieGee

My husband has been on Metformin now for 2 weeks with insulin injection in afternoon. Now he has developed an itchy rash. (he had been hospitalized for extremely high bg 500+... placed on a diet of nothing but oatmeal + meds) Could the rash be as a results of insulin injection or metformin? The medical staff has been alerted and hope to hear soon what they think it is.

I wanted to get some input from this forum, however.

MiddleSizeJoe

When i was taking Metformin it made my stomach very upset.. and I was up to 3 pills a day for a few days before my Doc changed me over to insulin. I found that eating my dinner with a small amount of 1% milk helped my stomach to feel better.

:)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.