Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hammer

Anybody eat avacados?

Hammer

After reading some comments on avacados, I decided to buy some at the store. Thankfully, the clerks at the store helped me pick out some that were ripe.

I need some info though. How do you eat them? Can you just eat them as they are, or do you need to peel them or cook them, or what?

I don't want to make anything with them, I just want to know if they can be eaten as they are....like a tomato or an orange?

Can someone fill me in? I have never eaten an avacado in any way, so this is all new to me. Anyone?

foxl

I ADORE Haas avocados!!! (they are the black-skinned ones -- higher-fat and lower carb!).

I like to cut them in half vertically, rotating around the seed and leaving it intact, then separate the halves, add a little salt and maybe lemon or lime juice, and go at it with a spoon!

But, you can also peel and slice or cube them and eat them in salads or recipes. I just read a recipe adding them into chicken soup.

Mich

Slice a ripe avacado in half. Remove the seed. Fill with chicken salad, shrimp, cottange cheese. Sprinkle with a few drops of salad dressing, salt and pepper, eat.

With a fork, squish up a half of a ripe avocado with a fork. Mix in a little mayo, few tablespoons of salsa, a little chopped green onion and pinch of garlic powder and salt. Serve with tortilla chips or pita bread chips.

Hold the unpeeled half of a ripe avocado in your hand, Gently cut it into a cross-hatch pattern with a knife. Turn the shell inside out and the cubes will drop into your salad. As an alternative, scoop it out with a spoon and toss the pieces with your salad and dressing.

If you must store a half avocado, store the half with the seed still in it, leaving it intact. It stays fresh longer.

soso

the simple way is cut in half and remove big pit.. sprinkle with salt and lemon uice and then eat with a small spoon...yum

or you can scoop out the flesh and mash with salt pepper and lemon.

or scoop out and mash with a little s p and mayo and add chopped green onions toms and red pepper..maybe a bit of cuke..all finely chopped...

Makes a great fast lunch the first way..

fgummett

Cut in half as detailed above and if the flesh is not too soft you can slice thinly and eat with cheese -- add a splash of EVOO and/or balsamic -- with eggs, or with smoked salmon, or use as a garnish on steak.

If you store an unused half, the surface of the flesh will oxidize and go brown... just scrape or slice that off to fresh green flesh underneath.

Really the only limit to using them is imagination :)

Heck you can even "grow" the pit/seed -- fun for children of all ages -- with some toothpicks and a wide-mouthed bottle/jar.

foxl

Heck you can even "grow" the pit/seed -- fun for children of all ages -- with some toothpicks and a wide-mouthed bottle/jar.

AUGH! Frank! I have a sinkful of the pits saved by my husband, and never sprouted!!! Drives me nuts ... :T

notme

I eat avocados almost daily. The green ones that are shiny are not as good as the blacker skinned ones that are dull and a bit bumpy. I cut in half and then slap the knife into the seed to remove it. You can cut through it (but not the skin and remove the insides with your thumb sliding between the skin and the insides. I eat them plain or add them to salads. They discolor quickly so don't try to save part of one unless you cover it in mayo. You can smash it with a fork, add tiny amount of mayo with chipotle and onion salt and make guacamole. I add it to eggs and in an omelette or add to a sandwich.

I LOVE avocados. When you buy them, make sure when you press them they are slightly firm with just a little give when pressed. Don't buy them if they are very soft as they will be black inside and terrible. Too hard and they are tasteless.

notme

That's pretty much how I do it. I don't turn it inside out. I just slide my thumb between the skin and the avocado. The skin is usually a little brittle and it just breaks if you try to turn it inside out. The avocado they used in the video seemed a bit hard.

Great job on finding that video, Keith.

ShottleBop

I have an avocado for breakfast practically every morning--only exceptions are when I forgot to get to the store to replenish my supply or when I'm traveling.

I cut them in half and eat them with a spoon. No seasoning.

MCS

Avocados, the best way is to find a really ripe one, peel, slice it and cover an extremely spicey hot bowl of chilli with them. Add a little Mexican four cheese shreds. Mouth is watering thinking about it.

I know what I am having for dinner.

Hammer

I have a few issues with this video - but you'll get the idea.

Thanks for the video Keith, that's exactly what I was looking for. I don't want to mix the avacado with anything, I just want to know how to eat it plain....like in the video. I don't need the extra calories, I just want the benefits from eating avacados. I'm off to try it and see how it tastes. Thanks again!

Evermont

Eating plain avocado should be like a national sport or something. It's a great way to spend 12 seconds. :D

Avocados are calorie dense - so combining them with other foods will usually result in something less calorie dense than 100% avocado.

Avocados are loaded with monounsaturated fat - the good kind. So if you're going to get some calories - the good kind is better than the alternative! Some claim that fats slow down the rise in BG - if that's true for you, then combining avocado with other healthy carbs may just make those other healthy carbs even better for you. Even if it's not true, it's going to be delicious attempting to prove that through rigorous and exhaustive empirical testing. And retesting.

Avocados are also loaded with soluble fiber - technically a form of carbohydrate but one that does not raise BG in most people in fact - it's known to be very effective in improving serum lipids (cholesterol).

Flavor and texture can vary widely and not just among different varieties. Ripeness also has much to do with it. When given a choice of hard and unripe versus ready-right-now avocados - I buy BOTH. Just set the unripe aside for however long it takes (3 to 5 days) ...then go nuts!

One trick to testing ripeness: try to flick off the nub where the stem was connected. If it won't pop off, it's not ready yet.

jps

I'm a huge avocado advocate. Everyone described the proper way to do it.

As far as I'm concerned, the adage should be changed to "An avocado a day keeps the doctor away".

Hammer

Okay, so I just ate an avacado. I cut it open, just the way the video showed. Now that I have eaten my first avacado I can say....why would anyone eat one of those?

It had basically no flavor, and the consistency was like paste. It wasn't terrible, it was.....well.....it wasn't anything. I only wanted to try them because of their cholesterol lowering ability. I guess they are better than statins....

foxl
Okay, so I just ate an avacado. I cut it open, just the way the video showed. Now that I have eaten my first avacado I can say....why would anyone eat one of those?

It had basically no flavor, and the consistency was like paste. It wasn't terrible, it was.....well.....it wasn't anything. I only wanted to try them because of their cholesterol lowering ability. I guess they are better than statins....

You are kidding me??? Nummmy-nums!!!

Maybe, yours was not ripe enough?

ShottleBop

Maybe it's just one of those things, like eggplant or liver, that you either like or you don't. I really like the taste of a plain avocado.

foxl
Well, it was black and slightly soft to the touch.(not mushy).

You cannot tell by skin color -- it still might have been underripe. Try saving one till it is softer ... really.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.