Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hammer

Anybody eat avacados?

notme

A good avocado is nutty tasting and a little soft. The skin color gives you a clue to the type of avocado, but will not tell you if it is ripe or not. Maybe it is one of those acquired taste things, but I love them. Keep trying Hammer, you might find a kind you like.

Granny Shanny

My initial reaction was the same as yours, Hammer . . . as a child I couldn't imagine WHY my parents were so taken with avocados when to me they seemed to have no taste whatever. That was before I moved to California in the mid-60s, where they actually GROW 'em!

Once I'd been exposed to a perfect properly ripened avocado, I began to recognize the subtle flavor nuances - and a pinch of salt might help you recognize this too. For years I ate guacamole, avocado tostados, etc., but now I just get a spoon & eat them out of the shell. I find if I ripen them at home, I get fewer "bad" ones. Just buy the firm ones, keep them on the counter sealed in a plastic bag for a few days - this allows the ethylene gas to do it's ripening trick. As they begin to soften slightly, I move them to the refrigerator to retard the ripening process.

yannah

thank you for asking this question, I did the same thing. got the avocado home it was back inside, I was pretty sure it was supposed to be green. threw it out, tired again. I did not know what to do with the new avocado. so Ilet it rot as well. tried again. I remembered eating avocado on a cobb salad once, made a cobb salad. the avocado was good. since then I have made several salads with avocado. but now I can try something different. so thanks.

foxl

Yep -- me too, Kelli! For example: Eggplants. Spaghetti Squash. Cauliflower ... and those last two, I have only really begun to eat RECENTLY! but it's like, once you figure out which set of hands to hold, the two of you can dance. But that sounds more like the aliens thread ...

Penny

I love that I can eat a whole avocado with no rise in my BS. I often eat them from the shell or as if they are not buttery tasting enough, put a little "spray margarine" and salt and pepper on it. I also slice it and add it to my burgers with a slice of tomato and onion, And they can make a salad feel more like a meal. I even have one for breakfast if I am real hungry and my BS is too high to eat anything else. My biggest objection is they are a little expensive, though I can sometimes get them on sale for $1 each.

ShottleBop
My biggest objection is they are a little expensive, though I can sometimes get them on sale for $1 each.

It's times like this I realize how spoiled I am to live in California. I can pick up four for $3 or so at Trader Joe's, and the Smart & Final has the small ones right now for 49 cents each.

Penny
It's times like this I realize how spoiled I am to live in California. I can pick up four for $3 or so at Trader Joe's, and the Smart & Final has the small ones right now for 49 cents each.

When not on sale, they can be $2 each. I usually get them when they are 3 for $5, because the Grandkid likes them.

Jan B

Hammer,

I love avocados, however when I first started eating them, I just put a little in a salad and thought it added some substance and interesting flavor. I would never have eaten a whole one. I believe it is an acquired taste. Eat little bits until you are really used to it. Then go for a whole one!

genie86333

You & me both, ShottleBop! I got some of the large ones the other day for 57 cents! :cool2:

Personally, Hammer, I don't like them just plain. However, add a pinch of salt to them, or add them to something (salad, a burger...or eat them with bacon - my favorite) and it's a whole different story.

mathew

Hi,

I like eating them straight with creamy Italian dressing. Or just sliced on a green salad or cubed up in pasta salad, or on sandwiches and panini. I like guac, but it's at the bottom of the list.

Thanks,

Hammer

Thanks for the tips everyone! Jan, they aren't terrible tasting, they just don't seem to have any flavor at all. The paste-like consistency wasn't that bad either....kinda like an over-ripe banana.

I don't know what they should cost, but the ones I bought were 79¢ each, and they are about the size of a pear. If they weren't black, they might resemble a pear. They did have green ones, but they were hard and it was suggested that I buy the slightly soft ones, so I did.

I wanted to try them so that I might get the benefits from eating them, mainly to see if they would lower my cholesterol. I don't want to mix them with anything, since that would increase the calorie count, and I don't want to eat any more calories than I have to.

I'll probably keep eating them, just to see if it has any impact on my cholesterol. My cholesterol is only 178, and my LDL is 114, but my doctor thinks that's too high.(I don't, and if it doesn't come down, well, too bad. At least I tried.):)

Jae

I use a soft avocado in place of Mayo on sandwiches

Also when I only eat half I have a food saver if you vacuum out the air they will keep for days without going brown. But add salsa to them, salt to them, put them on salads, is there a bad way to enjoy them?

ant hill
As far as I'm concerned, the adage should be changed to "An avocado a day keeps the doctor away".

I think for us Diabetics it's a bit late don't you think it. Still what a fruit! I have some on toast. :D

It had basically no flavor, and the consistency was like paste. It wasn't terrible, it was.....well.....it wasn't anything. I only wanted to try them because of their cholesterol lowering ability. I guess they are better than statins....

Yes Hammer!! I guess that this thread has some good ideas and it has health benifits too. If it wasn't for the price then I would follow Nancy's idea and have some everyday. :D:D

You are kidding me??? Nummmy-nums!!!

Maybe, yours was not ripe enough?

Yes Linda, I buy them green but i wait untill they're ripe. Thatway I can avoid the thumb pressers. The Hass veriety i look at the color as they go a darker color then out comes the knife and enjoy. :biggrin::D

Well, it was black and slightly soft to the touch.(not mushy).

Not to mention slippery as well. :eek: :eek:

howdysf

Hammer, where are you from that you've never had avocado before?... No guacamole?.. I only ask because I grew up in the (literally) Avocado capital of the world and find it unfathomable that someone has never eaten one before...

Hammer
Hammer, where are you from that you've never had avocado before?... No guacamole?.. I only ask because I grew up in the (literally) Avocado capital of the world and find it unfathomable that someone has never eaten one before...

I live on the east coast. I have never had an avacado, and as for guacamole, it just looks nasty, so I have never had the urge to taste it.:)

To be honest, when I was at the store to buy some, I had to ask a clerk where they were, since I had no idea what they looked like. If the clerk hadn't shown them to me, I still would never have found them since they didn't have a sign saying what they were. The only sign over them was the 79¢ price sign.

If I hadn't read about them here, I'd never give them a second look at the store, I mean, they don't really look appetizing....they actually look like they're rotten. Anything in the produce or fruit section that is black, makes me think it's bad.

I rarely buy fruit....I never eat it before it goes bad, so I avoid buying any. I like fruit, I just have a bad habit of letting it sit on the counter too long before I decide to eat it.

Rekarb

I love avocados but not plain! I've got to have some salt and some lime and I'm in heaven. Of course, I could say the same thing for tequila.

Mike

mkudsy

I love avocados. I eat it as it is, or juice it with full cream milk so it makes a thick mixture. It really worth trying, I assure.

ramon

Im with Peter on this one, make toast and let cool then add butter and avacado with salt and pepper. Maybe a sliced boiled egg on top of that and sipping hot tea is a must.:D

ant hill

Thank's Ramon, Avocado's is a good fruit to experiment with imagination. Try and make a Advo & Garlic dip with some lemon as this will have some preserving properties with the food processor. ;):D

valc3

This thread got me hungry for an avocado. I really got lucky, they were on sale.

I like to mash one with salt, pepper, small amount of garlic and then roll it up in a low carb tortilla.

Evermont

I re-invented my avocado and cauliflower soup, did the grilled cheddar on rye with 1/2 sliced avocado, and my famous Mexican pizzas all in the past few days.

I'm no rookie :D

By the way - if you happen to encounter those "low fat" avocados, don't buy them. They're only good for throwing at the grocery store manager.

foxl

By the way - if you happen to encounter those "low fat" avocados, don't buy them. They're only good for throwing at the grocery store manager.

YES, they are definitely higher carb!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.