Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hammer

Anybody eat avacados?

RobinP

This thread has made me crave avocados now. lol Will be picking some up at the grocery later.:D

Caravaggio
Hidden
AUGH! Frank! I have a sinkful of the pits saved by my husband, and never sprouted!!! Drives me nuts ... :T

It takes time to sprout. Ours took weeks, or maybe months, but it eventually sprouted and we are planning to plant it near the river in spring.

As for what to do with avocados, my favorite dish is to chop the avocados, add chopped (cubed) fresh tuna, and add soy sauce, sesame or olive oil, and black pepper(you can add red pepper flakes too) to taste.

I've also tried avocado, shrimps and cocktail sauce or just mayonnaise.

You can cream your soup with mashed avocado. Lots of things you can do with it, as indicated in the previous responses.

Caravaggio
AUGH! Frank! I have a sinkful of the pits saved by my husband, and never sprouted!!! Drives me nuts ... :T

My husband did this and had to wait for a few (that is, many many) weeks the seed to sprout. It has grown and we will plant this by the river near where we live come spring.

As for avocado recipes, my favorite is avocado, with fresh tuna, soy sauce, olive oil, salt, black pepper and sometimes red pepper flakes.

Avocado, cooked shrimps and cocktail sauce or just mayonnaise with black pepper.

Mashed avocado is a great soup and sauce creamer.

I add it to salads.

When I was a kid, we used to have avocado shake = avocado, with condensed milk or milk and sugar and crushed ice in a blender. As condensed milk and sugar raises my blood sugar, and I've since found out I'm lactose intolerant, I've made my avocado shake with soy milk, nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla and crushed ice.

sumi

One of my favorite lunches is what I called gualsa. Its a homemade cross between guacamole and salsa. I have a mini chopper/food processer type thing. I chop up 1 clove garlic, about 12 sprigs cilantro, about 4 slices jalepeno (in vinegar), 1/2 onion, 1/2 tsp salt, 2 roma tomatoes then mash in an avocado. Taste and adjust spiciness. I used to eat it with tortilla chips, but now I just eat it straight.

plattb1

I love guacamole, but my two favorite ways to eat them are:

1) with roasted chicken or turkey & bacon in a salad; and

2) with boiled eggs and saltine crackers. I have to be careful with the crackers - 5 original or multigrain crackers are 10g of carbs - but, this combination is so good!

Hammer

I saw the thread on guacamole, and it made me think I should update my avacado experience.....I threw out the last two I had. I won't be buying them again, as I don't care for them. No point in eating something that I don't like, so avacados are now on the same list as peaches, nectarines, plums, grapes, figs and dates, of fruits I don't like.

Come to think of it, I never eat any fruit anymore. It's not that I don't like fruit, I just never feel like eating it, so if I buy it, it just sits there and goes bad, so I throw it out. Now I just skip the fruit section when I grocery shop.

plattb1

So, my lunch today was field greens, a whole avocado diced, 1/4 diced apple, some seriously sharp Cabot cheese dices, & some smoked ham chunks dressed with a red wine & vinegar dressing. Pork rinds on the side. Yum! Doesn't get any better than this for me. YMMV, of course!

Penny
So, my lunch today was field greens, a whole avocado diced, 1/4 diced apple, some seriously sharp Cabot cheese dices, & some smoked ham chunks dressed with a red wine & vinegar dressing. Pork rinds on the side. Yum! Doesn't get any better than this for me. YMMV, of course!

Sounds like the perfect meal to me, Barrie.

ant hill
Sounds like the perfect meal to me, Barrie.

Hey Penny, Can I join you in this feast. That sure is a healthy meal!!! :T:D

notme

I love avocados in EVERYTHING. I actually don't think a day goes by that I don't have avocado. I love them in an omelette with mushrooms, onions and sour cream. I also love them in sandwiches and they are fabulous in salads.

Penny
I love avocados in EVERYTHING. I actually don't think a day goes by that I don't have avocado. I love them in an omelette with mushrooms, onions and sour cream. I also love them in sandwiches and they are fabulous in salads.

Nancy, how do you fix them with an omelet? I have Kelli's spinach omelet (but add a spoonful of salsa)a couple days a week, and would not mind doing avocado, for a change.

Evermont

I do omelets 4-5 days a week. I get very creative with fillings - no rules. I thought maybe avocado was a little too wacky for most people.

I'm happy that I'm not the only one. :D

Penny
I do omelets 4-5 days a week. I get very creative with fillings - no rules. I thought maybe avocado was a little too wacky for most people.

I'm happy that I'm not the only one. :D

You make an omelet the normal way, slice up and avocado and put it in the middle???? Do you add anything...tomato comes to mind as I like avocado and tomato together. Usually I cook things before I put them in my omelet.....like mushrooms, onions, etc. :)

ant hill

I getting some more eggs and do an Omlete for breaky!!! Much like what Penny would do. :o:D

notme

My favorite way to do an omelet is to slice the avocado very thin and put it in the middle. I add a little sour cream and any cheese you happen to have. When the omelet is done, put a little sour cream on top with some salsa and good to go.

Another wacky avocado omelet. :D

Evermont
You make an omelet the normal way, slice up and avocado and put it in the middle???? Do you add anything...tomato comes to mind as I like avocado and tomato together. Usually I cook things before I put them in my omelet.....like mushrooms, onions, etc. :)

Yes yes Penny - anything goes! I've done sliced avocado and guacamole. I've done an omelet on a bed of guac - or guac or sliced as a filling, or either as a garnish on top. Tomato is a great combo. Guacamole is avocado + salsa, so avocado + tomato + onion + garlic. Mix and match, leave out or add any Mexican type ingredients you like. Sliced is fine, sometimes I just spoon it out of the skin and into the middle of the omelet - much easier. Avocado may be best raw, but cooked is fine too. Same with tomato, onion, garlic and so on.

I get the eggs going, flip (I could write a book about this step), and immediately add cheese to get it melting on the hottest part of the recently flipped eggs. Then I add whatever else is going in - cold, or sometimes hot (sauteed in the same pan before the eggs, then set aside). Within 90 seconds of flipping the eggs, all the goodies are in the pool, fold and slide onto a plate - done. Sometimes I wait a few minutes before diving in just to let the hot and cold parts get cozy with each other.

My favorite way to do an omelet is to slice the avocado very thin and put it in the middle. I add a little sour cream and any cheese you happen to have. When the omelet is done, put a little sour cream on top with some salsa and good to go.

Another wacky avocado omelet. :D

I'm with you 99.9999%.

thin? :confused:

djt1344

Hi Gang,

I personally Chitpotle's Guacamole and chips, any ideas whether or not that's a healthy snack for a t2?? Thank you.

Daniel

ShottleBop

What does it do to your BGs?

Test yourself. Eat the guac and chips. Test yourself again at 30, 60, 90,and 120 minutes.

Now, do the same thing again, but try the guac with pork rinds--or celery stalks--or the (non-carb) guacamole transport mode of your choice.

Personally, I don't do grains anymore, and my BGs thank me for it.

foxl

I eat my guac with a spoon ... but recently dsicovered my grocery store "deli" adds STARCH! So watch it. YMMV, not just from my own, but from recipe to recipe!

HealthierMe

I love avocados. I ate some for breakfast this morning. I cooked soy bacon and had it ontop of fresh whole grain bread (10 carbs) with sliced tomato. yum. and a nice hot cup of sf decaf mocha coffee. It goes on almost any sandwich.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.