Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2high

Well, I didn't think I'd be posting in THIS forum just yet...

2high

but, I am!! Matt and I have just found out that we're expecting. We're not very far along, so I didn't really want to say anything yet, but I need some help.

Apparently Levermir hasn't been tested enough yet in pregnant women to know if its safe for baby, so I've been switched back to Protophane (NPH)... so far I'm on day 2, and I hate it. I was having major lows, but now I'm just all over the place. In one hour today, I went from 4.0 (72) to 27.3 (491). The slightest touch of novorapid, and I hypo, but without it, I stay high.

Does anyone have any suggestions, apart from testing hourly? (which, btw, I'm already doing!). We want our baby to arrive safe and sound!!

Oh also... PLEASE don't post anything about this on facebook, to those of u on my friend list... a lot of our family and friends don't know yet!!

ant hill

Hello Kit, May I say well done and I have been on the protaphane as it's useless basel, Even in split mode. :(

Wile I have you, Happy New Year and all the best from me. :D

Mich

Such good news, Kit. Congratulations to both of you.

I too vote for the pump. At least you'll get rid of that darned 8 hour peak business, and trying to figure a 36 hour overlap. I loved getting off NPH. Do they still make Ultra-Lente? It was the closest "old" insulin to Lantis-Levemir, but it may still have a peak.

PM or Email me if I can help out. Mich

2high
Ya, get back on the pump!

Such good news, Kit. Congratulations to both of you.

I too vote for the pump. At least you'll get rid of that darned 8 hour peak business, and trying to figure a 36 hour overlap. I loved getting off NPH. Do they still make Ultra-Lente? It was the closest "old" insulin to Lantis-Levemir, but it may still have a peak.

PM or Email me if I can help out. Mich

The pump isn't viable for me at the moment, financially. The endo/obs team is trying to organise a loan pump for me for the duration of my pregnancy, but its going to take 2-3 weeks, and in the meantime, these erratic sugars are scaring the heck out of me for baby's wellbeing... and its no good trying to call my endo registrar, she's away til Monday.

Um, why isn't pregnancy easier than this? :)

Katrina Stovold

Its all good! I too had to switch back to protaphane once I found out I wa pregnant! Not enough studies done in pregnant women. I am finding protaphane to be working just fine for me:

Here are my doses:

PROTAPHANE:

- 6AM 4 UNITS,

- 9PM 10 UNITS.

NOVORAPID

- 6 units before breakfast

- 6 units before lunch

- 4 units before dinner

These doses and times of doses are working well! Although I do prefer Lantus...

A also got in trouble for testing so much! But, I dont care, I still test pretty much every hour and Im doing really well. You will work it out I am sure.

x

Evermont

I know you'll get it figured out Kit.

Your baby has good taste - she picked a great mommy! :D

belyro

Congrats Kit! I hope you can work out that loaner pump. For me pumping was the ONLY way to go during pregnancy, and I'm thinking you might find the same.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions. You know where to find me.

HuskerMychal

Congrats Kat,

When I saw your post aboput being sick the last couple weeks on Facebook I almost commented "sure you aint preggers". Glad I didnt.:eek: I really hope them looking for a loaner pump works out for you.

NoelD

Wow. Congratulations! I seriously hope you can work it out. I think the loaner pump will help, but you still have to "hit it on the screws" so to speak.

AngelKitty

Congratulations!!! How Wonderful to start your new year with such a tremendous blessing.

I've heard that the first trimester is really tricky with BGLs - it's those fluctuating hormones!

Funny how different things work for different people - Protaphane was my preferred basal, that worked the best for me while I was on MDI.

How far along in your first timester are you?

2high

Peter, what are you talking about???

We DO know I am... I'm abt 5 weeks, but we have our dating scan on Monday :-)

Christina17

I too am pregnant- 12 weeks and just saw an endo for the first time today. I was on Lantus and he said that it contains growth hormone factor and is switching me to Levermir as he determined it is safer. Doc told me that no insulin will ever be determined as "safe" for pregnancy as there are no studies done in pregnant women but some are better choices than others. Isn't it interesting how docs have differing opinions? Your's took you off the Levemir and mine put me on it...best of luck and congratulations!

Keezheekoni

Congrats again, Kitter. :) Pump is definitely the best option, however I was on Lantus/Humalog for 2 of my pregnancies and the babies did just fine. If your OB wants to know the protocol I was on for those pgs, let me know.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.