Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

snjohnston05

HELP!!! Crazy bg's!!

snjohnston05

Ok, so my husband and I have been TTC for two months.....a couple days after I ovulated, my bg's went insanely high! :eek: I changed my infusion site 3 times to no avail....I then decided to increase my basal and see what happens....this is my second day of taking, literally double the basal I was taking, and my bg's are back to where they should be...:confused:

Am I pregnant?!

I work in a medical lab, so I am going to do a beta hcg tommorrow morning ASAP! But, I think I would sleep a little better if I had a good explaination for my new, increased insulin demands....

Anyone else have this happen?

Brookie

Hi....that happened to me in the beginning of pregnancy...my insulin requirements went way higher....but...then then suddenly started to drop a week or two later....my doc said they usually don't like to increase the basal rates, but the bolus rates instead. I can't tell you if it's because you are pregnant or not....but that was my experience:)

snjohnston05

Thanks for the info....I'm definately keeping a very close eye on my bg's so that I can catch them if they start dropping too much...and when I say very close eye, I mean VERY close...I've been testing every waking hour! My fingers are a little upset with me, but I gotta do what I gotta do! lol

Actually, I did try adjusting just my bolus, but then I was ALL over the place....figured the basal change would help keep me a little more constant....

Again, thank you.....I'm def keeping my eyes open :)

(hopefully I'll have an answer tomorrow!)

Belle'sMama

well most women have their insulin needs increase after ovulation anyway, and I do sa well, but they went sky high almost upon conception with both my pregnancies. This time you can look back and see that immediatly my BS were high from the day I ovulated and conceived until about 8 wks or so then they started to come down.

Any news yet? BTW you are lucky to work in a lab!

snjohnston05

I am happy to report that I am indeed pregnant!!!! :) Still very early (which I already knew, because it's only been 9 dpo), but it's there!!!! So, so happy, and excited, and nervous, and scared, and anxious, and....oh yeah, hubby and I are feeling every possible emotion tonight! While telling family members, we were both smiling and crying at the same time.....ahhhh, now we need to relax and just let things happen :)

Katrina Stovold

That is fantastic and I know just how you feel! I was crying when I FOUND out too! Had been ttc for 10 mths! Its so friggin exciting! You will do it, seriously you will handle it all just fine! I am now 22 weeks and everything is just fine fine fine!! Lots of help here on this forum, I love everyone!! x

snjohnston05

Thank you, and I must agree, this forum (website) is the best ever! I have truly enjoyed reading and learning from everyone's experiences!

I was super excited to set up my first appointment with the OB/GYN (had to switch doc's because mine quit delivering babies years ago, plus he's not a high risk OB/GYN)....I get to meet with her on Jan. 20th (which is perfect because I will be 6.5 weeks b y then)!! Can't wait!!! =)

Belle'sMama

Congratulations!!!!! :D :D :D There is nothing like the elation of finding out you are expecting! I found out at 10dpo so I know what you mean but hey, for normal people that might sound crazy finding out and planning things that early but when you are a diabetic everything has to be planned. My old ob used to try and discourage me from testing that early but I knew that I needed to know ASAP to try and get my BS regulated. You will find out soon that pregnancy hormones and insulin don't like each other very well ;) and you will worry no matter what but you are only human and can only do your best. Just when things seem to be stable, your levels will change again but it's ok. I've had to make myself realize that the lows don't affect the baby, it's the highs and sometimes no matter what you do, you will go high. Have you seen your endo yet? I've seen mine weekly literally since the day I found out I was pg and only now will she let me go every 2 wks. Hope you have a healthy pregnancy but watch out for the morning sickness around 6 wks, no one ever told me how your BS drops after getting sick so be aware that that can happen as well. Good luck! :)

Brookie

Congrats on finding out you are pregnant! That's FANTASTIC!!! They way you described it at first sounded just like me....it's an exciting adventure! I was more insulin resistant from about 5-7 weeks, and then around week 8 I needed to cut back dramatically. I test 10-15 times a day (before meals, after...if I feel funny...and ususally once or twice during the middle of the night) If I have to get up to use the restroom...I figure I may as well test!! That has helped me a lot with the night time testings....really able to breakdown with my doctors when my bolus levels need to change. It has helped bring my A1C down too! Last check...5.7! Let me know if you have any questions...feel free to send me a message!

Brooke:)

20 1/2 weeks along.....75% chance it's a Girl!! :)

snjohnston05

Thank you!! I have literally been testing every 45-60 minutes that I'm awake (and whenever I get up in the middle of the night) and am absolutely amazed at how low I am able to keep my sugars! I will be having my A1c checked here in the next week or so and can't wait to see where it's at (hopefully a 7 at the most). Thanks to the holidays and the incredible highs I experienced prior to figuring out I was prob prego, my A1c went all the way up to an 8.7 (OUCH!), but I've yet to have a reading over 180ish since almost 5 days ago (and those over 180 are within 30 minutes of eating).....I have seriously been quite obsessive about testing and testing and testing ALL the time!!

I must admit, getting pregnant has sure helped me to get a tighter grip on my diabetes! Of course, that's always a GOOD thing!! I tend to get a little lax from time to time....but NOT THIS TIME!

ramon
I am happy to report that I am indeed pregnant!!!! :) Still very early (which I already knew, because it's only been 9 dpo), but it's there!!!! So, so happy, and excited, and nervous, and scared, and anxious, and....oh yeah, hubby and I are feeling every possible emotion tonight! While telling family members, we were both smiling and crying at the same time.....ahhhh, now we need to relax and just let things happen :)

Good girl, well done:congrats: Have you given any thought to a boy or girl? Congratulate babies dad cause he did all the work:D Anyway we like free cigars.:smokin:

Brookie

That's great if your sugars are below 180 within 30 min of eating..I struggle with being a lot higher an hour after I eat...but without giving more insulin, I'm fine 2 hours later. The nutritionist told me that they don't expect diabetics to be less than 140 an hour after they eat...but if you have any suggestions...I'll take them!

I'll have great numbers for a week too then a couple days of WOAH.....my doc said it can just be the hormones. It always seems that just when I think I have it dialed in...something changes. And now I'm slowly starting to see more insulin resistance. Especially in the AM. I used to be at a 1:10 carb ratio when I started and now I'm at a 1:6 with higher basals. They say the am sugars will be affected the most usually in Type 1's....I'm not an expert, but this is what my doc says.

Good job though for keeping the sugars in tight control! Let me know what you're doing to keep those #'s good after you eat. I'll take any suggestions! :)

Hope all is going well!

e||ement

congrats! that's terrific news:)

as for your original post...my experience was that my basal and bolus requirements shot up dramatically (about 30 to 40%) right away and stayed that way until about 12 weeks, at which point they started to drop off slowly.

i'm now 18 weeks and my basal is just slightly higher than prepreg (10%) and my bolus needs are still about 30-40% higher than prepreg.

best of luck!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.