Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SnuggleBunny

Hubby Type 1 Diabetic... why we cant concieve?

Delphinus

Wow, he is a Type 1, and he doesn't have any motivation to inject insulin?

You mentioned he has some other issues. Maybe conceiving a child shouldn't be a priority at the moment.

It's really none of my business of course, but you did come seeking opinions, and I don't think it would be responsible if I sugar coated my response.

As mentioned, he needs too get his BG and attitude under control, or sadly, there will be no light, and the path he, and yourself, will be on, will be rife with thorns.

Diabetes does NOT need to be a death sentence, nor is it something to live in fear about. These days diabetics are living longer lives, and even healthier lives then their non-diabetic counterparts.

Good luck.

genie86333
Wow, he is a Type 1, and he doesn't have any motivation to inject insulin?

You mentioned he has some other issues. Maybe conceiving a child shouldn't be a priority at the moment.

I have to say I agree with this. If he "can't remember" to take insulin (something he needs to stay alive) will he remember to feed the baby? (after all, it won't hurt him...)

Ok, so I'm exaggerating there, but let's put it this way:

My mother was a poorly controlled diabetic. I was born 2 years after she was diagnosed. Then she died & I had to grow up without a mother. I'm 37 years old now & I still miss her (what little bit I remember, that is) & wish I'd had a chance to get to know her & think it's SO unfair that I never had that chance. The only reason I don't hate her is the fact that I know she did the best she could with the limited resources that were available in the 1970's (no at-home testing, being advised by the health pros to eat low-fat/high carb, etc.)

If you want to bring a child into this world that may have to have the same experience I have...go for it. Don't know what kind of a parent would do that to a child though...

He needs to come to terms with his health & start showing he cares about himself & the children he already has by showing he wants to be around for them for many years to come. That should be the 1st priority & then the other issue (possible fertility issues) may resolve itself.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.