Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Katrina Stovold

RED WINE - A glass here and there in pregnancy???

Katrina Stovold

Hi, I have had about 4 glasses throughout this pregnancy - not in the first trimester, only in the second trimester. Just 1 glass with dinner now and then. Now, what I want to know is.......has anyone else done this and their little baby has been just fine? I hear so many mixed stories. I have spoken to so many mothers that had a glass every night throughout their pregnacies, my sister who had a glass each night and has 3 gorgeous kids! I havent been to ask the doc yet as I fear they might judge me? Anyway, I only know 1 lady (from work) who says "dont do it", what if - something happened? I am sure just a glass here and there is ok? what are your thoughts? Thanks! x

ramon

My baby girl used to have a glass about 2 times a week when she was and again is pregnant. My grandchildren are beautiful and the ones who go to school are straight A students. Consumption and abuse are 2 different things.

Katrina Stovold

Thanks Ramon! You are right, now I dont feel so guilty, yes, abuse is a different ball game altogether! Thanks.

Bountyman
Anyway, I only know 1 lady (from work) who says "dont do it", what if - something happened? I am sure just a glass here and there is ok? what are your thoughts? Thanks! x

I would look at it logically. Alcohol is NOT your best friend, nor is it a nutrient. Were I growing a child inside of me, I sure wouldn't gamble on whether alcohol would harm the growth of my child or not. If you do drink alcohol you have no idea what it might do. We're all different and things effect everyone differently. If you drink NO alcohol...the chances of alcohol effecting the growth of your child are ZERO!

It's only 9 months without alcohol (wine); how hard can that be?

mzteacher

ditto what xmenance says.... why take a chance...i did without for both of mine....and bountyman....it is just 9 months.....i have never heard the advice just a little wine sometimes won't hurt....with something so precious...why??

if you need to relax i would go for a long hot bath instead!!

susan

Michael_lambert

DW did with out. Like said it was only 9 months and well worth it in our minds.

Now thats not saying we would not have the beautiful healthy child we do if she did drink.. but we weighed the options and decided to do it with out.

Katrina Stovold

sorry but it wont be for "just 9 months" as 5 months have already passed and I have consumed maybe max 4 glasses of red wine over the past couple months, so maybe I can abstain for the remaining "4 months" then! No, its not a matter of whethe it is hard or not.....I am not a struggling alcoholic, just wanted to hear from those who had healthy babies whilst consuming a red wine here and there that's all. Well, I only have just under 4 months to go, so what's done is done....I will go without for the remainder and be a good girly!! thanks everyone! xx

Katrina Stovold

if you need to relax i would go for a long hot bath instead!!

Hang on a sec! I didnt say I drink coz I need to relax.......I just enjoy a glass of red as part of my meal now and then...If I need to relax I go for a power walk....unfortunately dont have a bath in our house, only a shower! x

Michael_lambert

Talking with my wife,

Her cousin has now a 4 year old daughter. Her family is big on wine with dinner ( portuguese if that matters ) and through out the whole 9 months she would have a glass of homemade red wine watered down with 7UP with every lunch and dinner meal.

Her daughter i can attest to is very healthy looking and a joy to be..

Katrina Stovold

Thank you Michael! Glad to hear that I havent (I hope)

caused any damage! Thanks for your response, appreciate. Take care. X

mzteacher

sorry for the relaxation assumption...many people have a glass of wine to relax or unwind....i was trying to be positive and yet encourage alternatives...i am not suggesting you have done any damage with a couple of glasses of wine...i am not a dr. or an expert in this...but as a special education teacher i have worked with too many children damaged by their mothers prenatal choices (excesses!!!!!)....and you posted the question but didn't specify you only wanted to hear that all would be ok....so maybe the person to talk to for assurance would best be your dr....i hope you don't worry (easier said than done i know!) but just enjoy the heck out of this special time in your life when you are helping create a miracle!!!!

do you know if you are having a boy or a girl?

wishing you 4 happy healthy months as you wait for your baby to arrive!!

susan

Katrina Stovold

Thanks Susan! It's all good! I understanding what you are trying to say.....; ) Yes, its very exciting and so far very easy for me....sugars excellent, never been better so I guess I thought I deserved a glass of red for my efforts he he! Hubby and I decided to wait until the birth of bub to find out if it is a boy or girl but I am so tempted to find out especially when I know I WILL be getting a lot more routine ultrasounds closer to the birth! xx Thanks.

ramon
sorry but it wont be for "just 9 months" as 5 months have already passed and I have consumed maybe max 4 glasses of red wine over the past couple months, so maybe I can abstain for the remaining "4 months" then! No, its not a matter of whethe it is hard or not.....I am not a struggling alcoholic, just wanted to hear from those who had healthy babies whilst consuming a red wine here and there that's all. Well, I only have just under 4 months to go, so what's done is done....I will go without for the remainder and be a good girly!! thanks everyone! xx

That means it might be a Taurus, woo hoo, hard headed but good with the money. Good luck and please keep us informed. ps I hope its a boy.

adiantum

Congratulations on your pregnancy Katrina & now your D family also is anxiously waiting the birth.

I'll not relate any personal experiences as we all know of good & bad results & I'm certainly not judging you.

May I suggest you use google with topics such as ...." alcohol during pregnancy " etc.

A quick search produced this....

"

# Unfortunately it is not known whether or not there is any safe level of drinking alcohol during pregnancy. It is also uncertain whether any particular stage of the pregnancy is the most vulnerable to the effects of drinking.

# THE WORLD HEALTH ORGANISATION SUGGESTS THAT THERE IS REALLY NO SAFE LEVEL OF DRINKING ALCOHOL DURING PREGNANCY AND THAT NO ALCOHOL AT ALL IS THE SAFEST APPROACH."

Source:ADP - Alcohol, Other Drugs and Pregnancy

e||ement

i think it's a matter of what you are comfortable with...and what risks you are comfortable taking. for me, it's none.

i didn't have a single sip with my first pregnancy.

this pregnancy i admit to having a sip of my husband's beer one night...Alexander Keith's White...simply because i wanted to try the taste.

i love red wine...but abstain from drinking while pregnant and nursing.

i have found dealcoholized red wine that is a decent substitue when i feel like i want that glass of red...and beck's non-alcoholic beer. for beer..but for the most part i drink san pellegrino (sp?) with lemon in a wine glass when i'm really craving an alcoholic drink. it usually does the trick!

Seagal

Our son is 46 now and I avoided alcohol when pregnant, but sometimes had a dash of rum or brandy extract in my seltzer. He is a terrific man and a blessed human being, so I am guessing the extract didn't hurt.

With so much more knowledge now, I doubt I would do the alcohol or extracts, guess it would also interfere with nursing.

BTW, that many years ago, we were advised NOT to take hot baths or any baths at all (shower only)after the 3rd month. How times have changed:)

Best wishes to you,

Keri

mazea

I have a friend that did have a glass occasionally during her pregnancy.

You would really have to have all the information on alchohol and pregnancy before making an informed decision and the information is fully known or out there at this stage.

One reason not to is that while the liver is processing the alcohol, a particular vitamin or enzyme or something that is important to brain growth is not able to be produced or uptaken. I read this.

I didn't drink alchohol during IVF and pregnancy and breastfeeding 14 months now. I can't wait to have a glass when I am not breastfeeding anymore.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.