Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

foxl

okay now this is SQUEEEEZED!

foxl

Before dinner: 116

Dinner was: a 2 egg omelet with cheese (maybe 1.4 c) and a veggie sausage (6 g) and a bit of chile verde salsa (4 g max) ... so I called it 12 g. And 2 tiny squares of G&B chocolate, so I called those 2 g? So if I am not kidding myself, call dinner 14 - 16 g carbs, total.

After dinner, 30 min exercycle workout, with intervals, and cycle said 120 calories.

After workout, 3 hr, postprandial: 114.

Should I be VENTING???? Because I want to!!!! @#$#%$%&*:mad::(

Worse yet, same workout, I was still taking niacin, dropped me 50 pts last week. NOT predictable, at ALL!

dbc

Worse yet, same workout, I was still taking niacin, dropped me 50 pts last week. NOT predictable, at ALL!

Oh the joys of a pancreas with a mind of it's own :confused: ! Been there, done that, still happens every now & again, but not so much any more :)

foxl

Okay so if you are at 134, at 2:30 am, is it still called DP??? I do not think so!

However the fit of insomnia brought me an insight .... the book Using Insulin by John Walsh discusses early use of insulin in Type 1.5, throughout. I am taking it with me to the Endo. For starters ...

Januvia only addresses post prandials, right?

foxl
I have been wanting to say "insulin" to you for a while now.

Well I do question whether it is worth fighting the endo. AND the culture at the (very GOOD, generally) hospital she is with.

yannah

what are your options???

your going to go insane.

and what about the niacin, whay are you sticking to it?

I missed that info somewhere.

fgummett

My approach has been to march into my Doctors office and, in a non-confrontational way, explain what it is I would like to do/try and why, present them with printed materials to back up my assertions. In pretty much every case they have agreed with me and written the prescriptions ;)

foxl
what are your options???

your going to go insane.

and what about the niacin, whay are you sticking to it?

I missed that info somewhere.

Dumped the niacin. I reallly wanted it to work though. I went lower dose, then just went off it altogether, about -- what -- a week ago? Log is upstairs. But ... it MAY NOT BE THE NIACIN, as I still have sucky blood sugars!!!! AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Too many variables.

fgummett
AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Too many variables.
You have my sincere sympathy Linda... I cannot imagine trying to manage my D as a vegetarian... but then I can't imagine any tasty ways to eat cauliflower except perhaps smothered in cheddar and broiled.

What can you do to lessen the variables..? Law of Small Numbers? Very low carb diet until you establish a working baseline and then add choices back in slowly? Insulin? Focus on just the D and ignore cholesterol etc.. for now at least? Don't sweat a 114mg/dl at 3 hours PP after exercise? Cut yourself some slack?

I don't know if I am being much help but you can at least come here to vent :)

foxl
You have my sincere sympathy Linda... I cannot imagine trying to manage my D as a vegetarian... but then I can't imagine any tasty ways to eat cauliflower except perhaps smothered in cheddar and broiled.

What can you do to lessen the variables..? Law of Small Numbers? Very low carb diet until you establish a working baseline and then add choices back in slowly? Insulin? Focus on just the D and ignore cholesterol etc.. for now at least? Don't sweat a 114mg/dl at 3 hours PP after exercise? Cut yourself some slack?

I don't know if I am being much help but you can at least come here to vent :)

I am down to pretty $#! minimal carbs already. I DO think yeah we need to focus on blood sugar and see what the lipids do, then! And yeah, cutting myself slack for the next 3 weeks, while gathering data and support for using insulin ... I GUESS.

It is not the individual numbers that bug me, it is the trends -- gradually but unwaveringly upwards since October, maybe before, if I could have printed a continuous linegraph! And faced with Dr. Oblivious ... but then, I see her Feb 1, and then my internist Feb 5. Seems to me he is gonna get a major earful (I do know she was not his first choice, her partner was not taking new pts), if I am not satisfied ...

zoelula

Ok, Linda, I'm deeply confused. What is wrong with going from 116 to 114 two hours post prandial??? Is it that you put the work in doing the exercise and expected more of a drop? Isn't the exercise also designed for weight loss and general well-being? Yes, I do think you should be on insulin so you could not have to work so hard and to preserve beta cell, and I fail to understand your doctor's reluctance, it's just the whole exercise and number part I'm confused by in your post. Then again, I don't exercise per se (I walk everywhere and ride my bike).

foxl
Ok, Linda, I'm deeply confused. What is wrong with going from 116 to 114 two hours post prandial??? Is it that you put the work in doing the exercise and expected more of a drop? Isn't the exercise also designed for weight loss and general well-being? Yes, I do think you should be on insulin so you could not have to work so hard and to preserve beta cell, and I fail to understand your doctor's reluctance, it's just the whole exercise and number part I'm confused by in your post. Then again, I don't exercise per se (I walk everywhere and ride my bike).

Zoe, my post-exercise numbers used to drop me ... pretty consistently. And lower than that. I am just frustrated my new daily lows are in the teens.

I envy your ability to walk outside and bike -- with a forecast high of 7, that's not possible here! So I do the gerbil-on-a-treadmill thing ...

Dis-N-Dat

I can only imagine your frustration Linda. T1 scares me and I can't imagine dealing with all the variables. :eek:

Hope this resolves for you soon.

jenb

Once in a while when I have higher-than-expected #'s, I stress myself so much that I send them even higher. I hate those jags!

Anyway, I really think some rapid insulin might be just the ticket for you. With your pancreas still participating in the game, you'll no doubt use a minimal amount. I don't see why a physician would be reluctant to have you try it. Guess you'll have to do some educational intervention:T .

Jen

foxl

Lunch, same thing ... 18 g carbs.

Before: 90 (my "notch," consistently, every day!);

1:40 after, 137. Not terrible, but for 18 carb grams???

This was a pseudo-burger with 1 slice cheese, plus 1/2 cup cottage cheese, and a cup of roasted cabbage.

So ... if 18 g keeps me within my target range ... do I have to eat 40 g and "build up" my A1c, in order ot get insulin???

fgummett

I would hate to think that you need to show your Doctor just how bad your BG can get before they will put you on insulin... I'd be looking for a new Doctor before resorting to that :o

foxl
I would hate to think that you need to show your Doctor just how bad your BG can get before they will put you on insulin... I'd be looking for a new Doctor before resorting to that :o

Yeah, me too :D ... just kind of wondering, whhhhhhaaaat? Ya want me to go DKA, again??? And feeling whiney obviously.

jerryn
Before dinner: 116

Dinner was: a 2 egg omelet with cheese (maybe 1.4 c) and a veggie sausage (6 g) and a bit of chile verde salsa (4 g max) ... so I called it 12 g. And 2 tiny squares of G&B chocolate, so I called those 2 g? So if I am not kidding myself, call dinner 14 - 16 g carbs, total.

After dinner, 30 min exercycle workout, with intervals, and cycle said 120 calories.

After workout, 3 hr, postprandial: 114.

Should I be VENTING???? Because I want to!!!! @#$#%$%&*:mad::(

Been there! I know what you are talking about. You know how a particular food effects you .. 2hrs later you test and SUPRISE!

Do you have any additional stress going on? I found stress effects me BIG TIME!

foxl
Been there! I know what you are talking about. You know how a particular food effects you .. 2hrs later you test and SUPRISE!

Do you have any additional stress going on? I found stress effects me BIG TIME!

mMmmmm, could be stress (blood sugars --> stress --> blood sugars, huh?). I have 3 housebound kids, all last week and till Monday. But nothing major recently, thankfully (like a relative's illness or anything). Even after quitting the niacin which was spiking me, I really just think my pancreas is poopin out.

This is not like one test, it is like, a slow climb since October. SIGH.

Rekarb

Linda

Are you getting the feeling that the met isn't working? If I low carb any lower, I'll just be eating wood shavings, still my numbers seem to climb everyday. The interesting thing is that it's my basal, which previously was rock solid. My pp's are fine. This is all crazy.

I was looking at the insulin in the frig and thinking "chuck this **** and get on with it". I didn't but at times I feel like a dog chasing his tail.

Mike

dbc
I really just think my pancreas is poopin out.

This is not like one test, it is like, a slow climb since October. SIGH.

Linda, this is so much like my experience - in the endo's terms of reference really good control, low A1c (pretty much all done by very rigourous lo-carbing) and therefore NOT a candidate for insulin yet, in spite of me suggesting 'maybe it's time....'

When he eventually 'relented' and gave me the first insulin script, my A1c had crept up to 6.5% - from a low of 5.8% - over about 9-12 months. His reasoning was "your control is so good, you'll be at risk of hypos when using insulin..." For him, the no-insulin/insulin threshold was a A1c of 6.5%.

It seems the medical people are MUCH more concerned (scared??) of hypos than high-ish BG in the short/medium term.

I think with an A1c as good as yours you will battle to find a doctor prepared to prescribe insulin, unless maybe you can show excessive post-prandial spikes?

Dave

lorilei

same! i scrolled up three times to re-read the numbers and the carbs..i know it is frustrating, but your numbers are pretty good!..I will tell you that i never saw a two digit number on my meter until I went back on insulin...also, take into consderation variability of your meter etc...plus, sometimes exercise raises BG..so all in all I think the stress you are putting on yourself could do more damage than your current numbers..what was your 2 hr pp? did i miss that?

Abra

Linda, I'm going to ask the heretical question. Speaking as a person who was a vegetarian for 9 years and went back to being an omnivore, would you ever consider giving it up? Even eating fish might really help you now.

foxl
Linda, I'm going to ask the heretical question. Speaking as a person who was a vegetarian for 9 years and went back to being an omnivore, would you ever consider giving it up? Even eating fish might really help you now.

LOL, OMG such the wrong question for me this morning!!! :eek:

My husband cooked some salmon last night, and when I went to warm up my skillet for eggs, the stench hit!!! :puke: And it will not leave the kitchen now. I would not eat fish, because I hated it, BV.

But ... I went Veg at 15, so I think I would have tough time eating any flesh now -- ethically and psychologically. I feel like dairy and eggs are a compromise, as it is, the way the animals are treated ...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.