Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SnuggleBunny

Toddler diabetic?

ally79

Great thread you guys and I hope every bodies babies are okay! I have actually been wondering the same thing about my daughter for the past day or 2 and had almost convinced myself I was overreacting and paranoid until I saw this thread. She was sick for new year's with a bad cold and double ear infection and her appetite has not come back at all but she will drink a juice bottle in about a minute though (3oz juice to 5 oz of water) and her diapers are soaking wet every time I change her. I will be checking her blood sugar in the morning (since she just fell asleep after a 3 hr struggle about bed time). Are the ranges the same as for adults?

burnay76

This is not to assert that there may not be reason for concern with a young child having high blood glucose..... but a couple things to consider

1) High caloric intake (always being hungry) is, to some degree, normal for young children. They eat, drink, and go pee alot!

2) Meter readings need to be looked a skeptically in young ones as they have a naturally lower hematocrit (concentration of red cells in their blood) which can skew whole blood glucose results significantly. A serum glucose (done at a lab) will yield accurate results.

A whole blood glucose level non-fasting result of 8.4 (thats around 151) in a toddler is not diagnostic at all, nor is it a reliable result.

I would certainly consult with a medical practitioner, but it is more likely than not that these results are not significant (if that offers any relief).

I am a masters prepared nurse and work as a practitioner (in psych). I have some familiarity with medical management of diabetes, but it is not my specialty...... i can offer some tid bits, but don't take this as any kind of "advice". There is no substitute for a good clinical exam to arrive at a diagnosis..... in other words, consult the medical practitioner of your choice!

jilltap

Hi, I would catch his urine in a cup and do a dipstick test for ketones. If there are ketones, call your doctor. A youngsters blood sugar can vary quite a bit and if he is an active youngster, the drinking and urinating could be normal. Typically the excessive urinating is caused from spilling ketones, so if that is the cause, it will show up in the dipstick. The more you are looking, the more you will see and normal things that you haven't noticed before will become more significant. You can buy ketosticks at any drugstore. They run about $14 for a bottle.

mindi7
Hey everyone.. so Im not quite sure where to go next. I just checked my almost 2 year olds blood sugar and it was 8.4 mmoL, hes been urinating quite a bit, and I cant seem to give him enough to drink because as soon as I fill his cup, he drinks it and hands it back to me empty, and if I fill it up again its gone again. I'm thinking that because his father is diabetic, that this could possibly be part of whats going on.. but am I being paranoid with wanting to have him tested?:confused:

My 3 year old has the same symptoms - he is always wanting something to drink- even in the middle of the night- I give him water, watered down juice (never soda) and he still is always thirsty and pees allot. My husband has type 2 diabetes so I was very concerned with my 3 yr old possibly having it- so we tested him ourselves with one of my husbands test strips and it came back normal 105, but I am also still concerned bc the symptoms are overwhemling similar with how we identified my husbands diabetes

wouldrichest
Hidden
Yes, you should have him tested. Age makes no difference to diabetes - it can even strike infants under a year old.

I buy the motts totts juice that is only like 20% juice to 80% water. I try to give him water and milk when I can, but as anyone knows they can get sickening. Otherwise he drinks watered down juice. Im scared for him since his dad was diagnosed diabetic with a 43.3 mmoL bloodsugar 2.5 years ago and people wondered why he wasnt dead yet.

kpaul

Is your daughter gaining weight now? My daughter gained a few pounds immediately after diagnosis, but she's still small and skinny like yours. She's in the 5th percentile for 9 months, and we're having trouble getting any pounds on her. Any advice?

kdiebelius

hey sorry to hear about your baby but go get tested i was two years old when i got diabetes go demand for a test

good luck (: xx

Denedil

I was DX'ed at 1 year old. It happens. Get the tests done. I'm told I'd suck down bottles one after another constantly.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.