Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

maedchen0324

Planning pregnancy - need to reduce A1C

maedchen0324

Hi everyone!

I am looking for some ladies who are trying to get pregnant and reduce their A1C at the same time. :) I figured we could support and cheer each other on. Who's with me?

A little about me - I was diagnosed with Type 1 at age 26 (12 yrs ago) and have been pumping for about 5 years. I'm on Humalog and using a Minimed 722. I have the REAL-Time CGM, and plan to start using it again as soon as my order of sensors arrives. My A1C was always really great (5.8, 5.9) right before and after I started pumping. However, the reason for this stellar A1C was that my BG was a complete roller-coaster - averaging out to look good, when it really wasn't. I decided to switch Endo's and they did take care of my frequent lows, and now I need to work on my part to not let my sugars get to high. Unfortunately, my A1C over the last 6 months has crept up to 7.3. I talked to my Endo about planning to become pregnant and they want me to get it down to 6... Yes, I have some work ahead of me! Right now I'm writing down everything I eat and will be sending my sugars in for review by the diabetes educator every other week.

Planning to become pregnant is my motivation to get my sugars under control again. We have a 3 year old son through adoption and had previously tried fertility treatments. I had a tubal pregnancy in 2001 and lost one of my tubes, but the doctors were not able to determine any additional reasons on why we couldn't conceive. I figured now that we have our son, the pressure is off and whatever happens, happens! ;)

Sorry to go on and on... Looking forward to hearing from others about their challenges and achievements! :D

CCGIRL

HI!!

I'm VERY new to this site but I was so glad to see what you had posted. My husband and I are in the planning stages as well and I too need to reduce my A1C a little. Currently (6.5), but like you when you had 5.8 etc, I'm having some lows/highs and I feel that I can do better.

I was diagnosed with type 1 at age 5 (21...almost 22 years ago). I've have a pump for almost 10 years now and I TOO am waiting on my sensors to arrive for my CGMS....and I'm hoping that it will really help my numbers!!

I'm going to my endo in a few weeks so we shall see what happens with my numbers.

Look forward to hearing about everything!!

maedchen0324

CCGIRL - Nice to hear I'm not alone! I look forward to chatting with you and sharing experiences. I submitted my sugars to my endo and the nurse (who is also diabetic) suggested multiple changes to my basal rates. I'm also realizing that I will need to try eating on a schedule and planning my meals ahead of time. My endo suggested trying to bolus 15 min. before I eat which seems impossible at times :eek: - so planning is necessary!

How are you doing with exercise? That's another thing I need to start doing again. :o

CCGIRL

Yes, It is so nice to be able to talk to someone who is going through the same thing!!

I'm glad that you are getting your basal rates in check. I NEED to do that. With the holidays/vacations finally over...that is my next step. My new sensors should be here this week and I'm hoping to help use my CGMS to help with my basal testing. I have heard from a number of docs to bolus 15 minutes before you eat. I know a pedi endo where I live who is a Type I himself and he gave me a lot of insight into how HE uses the CGMS. One recommendation was to blous before you eat...which is SOOO hard for me. I HATE eating if I'm not hungry...you know, eating to finish my plate b/c I gave myself a certain amount of insulin. But I bet it will help get the 1 hour and 2 hour post meal BS down.

I was just telling my husband how I wanted to start a journal of things that we cook including carbs, how much insulin I gave myself and the results so that I can take some of the guess work out (I'm not always the perfect carb counter).

Exercise is something that I've been decent about. But...that with a list of a thousand other things are on my new year's resolution list. I do a "boot-camp" 2-3 mornings a week and cardio 2 times a week. When I exercise my sugars are SOOO much better. I just have to remind myself of that and go consistently which is hard for me.

Did you check 1 hour post and 2 hour post for your endo? I last went at the end of November and she seemed ok with my A1C...although I'd like it to either be a little better...OR just cut out some of the extremes. She didn't give me paperwork to use as to how to test my basal rates (my last endo did and I can't find my sheet) OR the numbers she wanted to see for pre-pregnancy stuff. Any tips? Did you have any heart testing done? I just want to do everything possible to have a healthy pregnancy and baby!

Sorry for all the questions!! Looking forward to chatting too!

maedchen0324

I really think from everything I've been reading here in the last couple of days, 6.5 seems to be a good A1C for a pregnancy. I saw a lot of ladies posting that their A1C was 6.5 when they got pg or when their endo gave them the okay to start trying. But I know where you're coming from with wanting to do everything possible to have a healthy baby!

My endo has actually never had me check 1 and 2 hour post meals... I do remember something from a pump education class I took last year about how to check if your basals and boluses are working the way they're supposed to. I will have to go through my paperwork and see if I can find it for you.

I've been pretty bad about writing down and tracking my bloodsugars and just upload my pump and meter data to the Minimed Carelink website and give my user name and password to my endo's PA and nurse so that they can review it. When I go see them I print some reports and go over it with them. I haven't gotten the reports figured out yet, but the PA has been very helpful in explaining how to interpret some of them. When I have my sensors, it will be much easier to see what's really going on in between testing etc.

Good for you on having such a great exercise routine! I planning to start taking our dog for walks in the mornings as soon as the weather improves a little around here.

I also have not had any heart testing done - well, not through my endo. I had a 24 hr ECG (?) a few years ago, because they noticed an irregular heart rythem during one of the IVF procedures. But it turned out to be nothing.

By the way, which pump to you have? Sorry I don't think I was much help. I'll try to find the info for you about checking basals tomorrow night.

maedchen0324

Yeah! My sensors arrived!!!! :D I will put one in first thing tomorrow morning. Will probably take me a few days to get used to calibrating again, etc., but it will be so nice to have some better data to work with.

I also googled "how to check basal insulin rate" and came up with this article:

Pumper’s Voice: Basal Basics

To test the your basal insulin settings, you will need to wait approximately 4 hours after your last bolus and meal/snack. This will give the carbs time to finish digesting and the bolus time to finish working. The meal (or snack) eaten before the test should be fairly low in fat (no restaurant food or take-out) in order to avoid a delayed blood sugar rise. You must stay connected to the pump continuously during the test, and go about your normal daily activities. However, heavy exercise should be avoided during the fasting phase of the test. Testing should not be performed during an illness or the onset of menses, following hypoglycemia, or if the blood sugar is greater than 250 at the beginning of the test.

To start the test:

• Check your blood sugar about four hours after the last bolus

• If the blood sugar is above 250, bolus for the high blood sugar and cancel the test

• If below 80, eat to bring your blood sugar up and cancel the test

• If the blood sugar is not too high or too low, proceed with the test

• Check your blood sugar every hour or two until you next usual mealtime

If your blood sugar drops by more than 30 mg/dl during the test period, the basal rate is probably too high. If it rises by more than 30 mg/dl, the rate may be too low. The basal rate should be changed in increments of .05 to .2 units/hr depending on your usual settings and the magnitude of the rise or drop that took place. The next day, re-test to see whether the adjustment produces a steadier blood glucose level. Continue to adjust and re-test until steady blood glucose levels are obtained.

Hope this helps!

CCGIRL

YEAH for your sensors. Mine were suppose to arrive today...but they didn't :(

I hear what you say about the 6.5 number. My endo didn't seem upset about it. I guess I just want to make sure that all my basal rates/bolus levels are as close to perfect as possible.

I have an Animas Pump. I used Medimed for a number of years and after I almost ended up in the hospital from a pump malfunction...I switched. Up until that point though, I really liked the Medimed. I actually had a problem with my animas pump today...I guess that is just technology!!

I have a Dexcom CGMS. I like it, but like you were saying about the calibration and stuff...it takes a couple of days. I actually ended up upgrading to the new Dexcom and I'll be interested to see if it's more accurate. Do you have problems just relying on your CGMS? I feel like I check my BS the same amount or MORE.

Do you ever feel like when you try and do everything right...everything goes CRAZY?? I gave up wine. Not like I drink all the time, but I decided that if I was going to really do all my testing I needed to just give it up (for a month) so that I have the most accurate info for my endo. I've had more high numbers than I have seen in years!! It gets frustrating when you try and try and things don't seem to line up the way you want them to. Oh well, I'm chalking it up to this cold I have....and the awesome dinner I couldn't count carbs on last night when we ate out. The sauce on my meat must have been made of pure sugar.

I hear you about walking and the weather....It has been so rainy (I live in south texas) and my favorite thing to do for exercise is walk/run by the water. For now I'm inside in the gym or boot camp. It has REALLY helped me to have people that I workout with. My husband wants to loose some weight before I get pregnant (he's scared of the "sympathy weight")...I"m also running a race with people from work, so we give each other a hard time if we aren't hitting the gym.

Thank you thank you!! For the link for basal testing. I really apprecitate it.

I've been ALL OVER the place in this post...can you say long day and even longer week..AHHH.

Have a great weekend.

maedchen0324

Hello again!

Well, my first sensor lasted 5 days... Not so bad I think. Will start a new one in the AM.

I totally hear you on everything goes crazy when you're trying so hard. I have that happen all the time and it's so frustrating. You try to do everything right, and then your sugars just decide to throw a wrench in the whole thing. I asked my Endo about that a while back - like, is it normal that everything seems fine and then WHAM, it just goes crazy. She said it was normal which I was happy about, because I really felt like it was my fault a lot of times. You know, I was just waiting for them to say "well, you'd be doing better if you worked out", or "you just have to stick to a better eating schedule". Sometimes I was so convinced that it was my own fault, that I didn't sent my sugars in for review, even though they were going haywire. That's how I ended up with this 7.3 A1C...

I'm determined to not let that happen again and I can already see a big improvement in my sugars. Writing down everything I eat seems to be the key for me. I have had a few more lows since the nurse last week recommended some basal changes. So I sent my info in again and am waiting to hear back from her tomorrow morning. I will just stay on top of this and keep working at it. My next Endo appointment is March 10th and I'm hoping to see a big improvement in my A1C by then!

It will be so nice when the weather gets better. My 3 year old LOVES to be outside and he's got endless energy. We need to be able to go for walks again at least or maybe ride the bike... I live in Nebraska and we were hit by so much snow last month - I'm sure you heard it on the news. Then it's been so cold (less than 32 degrees for weeks on end), that the snow still hasn't melted. The temps have been around 32 degrees since last week, but since Friday it's been real cloudy and grey, today it rained.... This snow is not going anywhere anytime soon. :mad:

By the way, if you would rather chat via email or if you're on Facebook, let me know.

TTYL,

Nicole

Katrina Stovold

Just wanted to say my HBA1C came back as 5.9%. I seriously cant believe I did it, thought it was not possible!! This is the lowest it has ever ever been and you know how I did it?? eat the same thing every day, yummy food! The food is yum and healthy! And I test as follows: first thing in the morning, 1 hour and 2 hours after breakfast, lunch and dinner and also test just before bed and in the middle of the night. If I ever got a reading slightly above 8.0, I would give myself a unit or half and this made all the difference I believe. I only have 3 months to go until this baby comes out and I have confidence in myself that I can keep my HBA1C low.....if I can do it, so can you! x

CCGIRL

Nicole,

Hey there!! I got my new CGMS and my sensors on Saturday...they are still in the box :/ So much for my burst of motivation this week...HA! Oh well. I have my new CGMS on the charger and I'll hook myself up in a couple of hours. My BS have been better this week. Only 1-2 highs that I have had to correct all week...one being after I meal I ate out last night...and again I think it was the salad dressing (or the glass of wine...I fell off the wagon..oops!)... But I woke up normal...so that is a plus!

I went and had some blood drawn today...Did you know that 50% of diabetics have hypothyroidism? At least that is according to my endo. My thyroid stimulating hormone was high-normal which could mean my thyroid is on the fritz...so hopefully the levels will come back normal this time. She said that if I was to develop hypothyroidism it could be hard to carry a pregnancy...so at least she is looking out to correct it before I had issues in the future with fertility or maintaining a pregnancy.

I used to live in Michigan...haven't seen the snow in awhile...but I feel your pain about all the snow!! It looked horrible. Did y'all lose power and everything? I remember every yeat growing up around Feb-March I was ready for the snow to be gone and spring to begin...however the snow didn't always cooperate and stayed much longer than I wanted it to!!

We can chat however...I'm up for anything. Feel free to email me. Emily.dvs1@gmail.com

I'm going to go start my CGMS...wish me luck :)

Emily

CCGIRL

I'm all hooked up and currently making a little chart so that I can start writing down all my food, bolus amount and 1 and 2 hour post BS numbers. I feel like a bionic woman..nothing like having 2 different meter type-things and 2 sensors attached to my body!! Gotta love technology:)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.