Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

janice21475

can anyone explain why the numbers are better?

janice21475

My husband was diagnosed on 11-20-09. The Dr. gave him a Lantus pen and told him to do 10 units every morning. On the 2nd visit 11-30-09 the he was told to up the dose by 2 numbers for every day the BG was above 120.

No one discussed diet changes with us. I started searching for a better way to eat. I found this wonderful forum and we began Low Carbing. Still not getting the Fasting BG reading we were told to aim towards.

Long story short, we gradually upped the dose to 42 units a day. At a consultation with the pharmacist team we were told 42 seems to be a 'sweet spot' for him. That sounded like a Used Car Salesman line. Then Bountyman started his test to see how long he would last. We got to thinking that we upped to 42 before we had perfected the LowCarb eating. How could that be a 'sweet spot' when it is based on faulty data.

We dropped to 40, 38, 36, 30, 28 and today 20. For some odd reason, the numbers are better here. Morning 107, after breakfast 108, Lunch was 86 and we missed the 2 hour afterward, dinner was 98 and after 113.

He may try to go back to the original 10 units and see how things do. I kinda think we should stay at 20 for another day to let things normalize. What do you think?

Appreciate any input,

Thanks for all the wonderful posts, links and information. We couldn't have gotten where we are without you all.

Janice & Husband

ramon

There is no doubt that low carbs play a very important role in maintaining a low bg. Is he on any other meds and how many carbs average a day does he eat? The thing about low carbs is if you ever leave this diet look out for weight gain, but after a while you get used to it and actually like it. Now my body yearns for greens, love to eat raw greens for snacks:eating:

Harold

When taking insulin, it decreases the insulin demand on the pancreas giving it a rest from over producing. Now that it has had a rest it probably can produce a bit more than it was doing back in November. Has he lost any weight? That would also improve the ratio of his own insulin to body mass increasing his sensitivity to his own insulin. Cutting calories or lowering carbs also decreases the demand on the pancreas.

A word to the wise. When changing anything with treatment wait several days before making any more changes. There are too many uncontrolled and unseen variables that come to play to form any conclusion after only a couple of days.

junglemn

janice

i was just diagnosed before xmas and the dietician at the hospital told me look everyone's dietary needs are different(duh as if we didnt know this already) but there are only 3 food categories 1.fats and oils the rule with this is if it is solid at room temperature (like bacon grease and butter)its solid on your body and is harder to come off if it is liquid(olive oil or any veggie oil) then it will come off easily 2.protiens this is plain and simple meat fish egg protien powders 3. sugars this is anything that grows plant wise fruits vegetables etc... all sugars are called carbohydrates due to the fact that the chemical formula is any variation of CHO carbon hydrogen and oxygen and now the hardest part to understand (all sugars end in -ose) Glucose is sugar in the blood and has the same formula but different structure than fructose(sugar found in fruits) both have C6 H12 O6 which is why it digest so easily sucrose is table sugar, the 5 lb bags from the supermarket) galactose and lactose are sugars found in milk also becareful of starches it makes it easier for you body to store sugar thats not needed and my last little advice is the Glycemic Index of a carb is how slowly its sugar will be released into the blood lower values than 55(cherries lowest then strawberries rasp,blue, black, then apples apricot nectarines and peaches followed by pears) are your best choices above 70 is too much and you can find more googling GI Values hope this helps

foxl

I agree with Harold.

All working endocrine systems function on the basis of feedback inhibition, which is to say, if you put more (exogenous) hormone into the system, inside (endogenous) secretion will decrease to maintain homeostasis (balance).

And yes, adding insulin theoretically rests the pancreas, as it is not having to produce as much.

janice21475

In answer to the question, 'how many carbs per day.'

Added them up and was shocked to find about 110 total (plus or minus a tad). That is a lot more than we thought. I guess when a meal doesn't raise the BG I consider it a free meal. :)

Breakfast = 3 eggs w/ heaping tablespoon of wheat bran, 1 1/2 cups of coffee with 3 teaspoons of sugar

Lunch= 1 cup kidney beans with ham

Snack= 1/2 an avocado and 2 tablespoons raw peanut butter with butter and milled flax seeds added, 2 ritz crackers

Dinner=sirloin steak, broccoli with 6 ritz crackers and 3 slices velveta melted in.

Late night= 1/2 cup Post shredded wheat w/bran 1/2 cup milk, 3 teaspoons sugar. He was still hungry so I gave him 2 more tablespoons peanut butter mixture.

Last 5 days fasting readings are: 90, 91, 101, 107, 112

One day this week he recorded his two lowest readings, before lunch and before dinner - 83 and 78. He no longer gets the shakes when he reaches that low. He used to shake at 100's. Things are much improved I guess.

Thanks you for all the input,

Janice & Himself

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.