Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Candace

Trying to get more general info! :)

Candace

Hi Guys,

I am trying to figure somethings out about Pregnancy and diabetes. Im type 1 and have been for 4 years. Im not currently preganat but hope to become so within the next few months. My questions are, when your diabetic and pregnant will the doctor generally put you on restrictions just for being diabetic? I am worried that if i become pregnant and get put on restrictions, i wont be able to work, and heaven knows that cant happen, i need to make money! I am a CNA and with all the lifting im scared that right away my doctor will say Nope cant do it, and put me on bed rest, or just make me stop working for the time being. If that were too happen does anyone know if i would be able to get short term disabilty or anything and how its work and i would go about getting it that i'd still make money with? This is worrying me because its the only thing kind of stopping me from trying to become pregnant now, because i cannot afford to not work, or make money somehow. Any info i would really appreciate!! Thank you guys so much!:D

Candace

Steal

Candace,

I am about 11 weeks along and the doctors haven't stopped me from anything; I am still working. I think that only occurs if you are having any issues. If something comes up, they may tell you to stop particular activities, but that is with every pregnancy. You may want to look into taking out Disability Insurance. This has been a stress reliever for me. My friend recommended doing it when we began to try. I am a teacher, so there is a plan endorsed by the Teacher's Retirement System. If there are any issues related to pregnancy mine will pay 75% of my salary and not take out taxes from it. I hope that this helps you and we are just trying to get to 12 weeks and feel more comfortable that everything is okay with the little one in there. Good luck and just try to do your best with the blood sugars before you get pregnant. It will help you get pregnant and get your body ready. Good luck, good luck. I think it is really good that you are thinking about the money aspect of stuff, not enough people do and if you are thinking about it this much, I am sure that you will be a responsible and hard working mom.

Good luck!

Steph

29 years old

23 years Type I

11 years on the Insulin Pump

Candace

Thank you so much steph! That really helped. If you dont mind me asking how do i go about getting the disability insurance? Does it come from your employer? I am getting ready to start at a new nursing home in a couple weeks as a CNA. Thank you for all your help!

Steal

Mine was a recommended company through my employer/union. I would ask your employer if they have one that is recommended. I do not know if there is one recommended for CNAs. If they do not have one, try this website: Maternity Insurance | Maternity Insurance Quotes. They seem to give a lot of information and some quotes. All companies make you sign up before you are pregnant or they will not take you. I hope that this helps and feel free to write me any time.

-Steph

Katrina Stovold

Absolutely the doc wont put you on restrictions. I was a carer for a quadraplegic and I was allowed to do that job which was a tiny bit of lifting, pushing around. Just keep your back straight. I stopped the job because I became lazy, not under doc orders. The only problem you might have is the millions of appointments they make you go to!!! I hate them! They made me go to the diabetic clinic every friggin week in the beginning! Now I only go once a month, Im 24 weeks almost! The appointments are a pain especially when I know more about my diabetes than they do!!!!! So annoying.x

Steal

Katrina, I agree about the appointments and I even have the doctors say, "You have been a Diabetic most of your life. You know what to do with your basil rate. If you need to lower or raise it, do it." It makes me think, why am I here? But then I remember that it is a perinatology office and they can also show me picutres of the little baby. That is what keeps me going back for all the appointments every two weeks.

Candace

Yeah, i've heard there are alot of appointments involved. I went to the Maternity Insurance quotes to get a quote and they told me they had nothing to cover me, reasoning being, Im diabetic?? So im not sure but as long as im not put on any restrictions and not able to work, i should be fine! :)

Katrina Stovold

ha, ha your cute Steal! Wish I could see bub ev 2 weeks, just boring docs instead! mmmmm, I really do know about my diabetes better than they do and feel annoyed when they try to do things with my dosages that just wont work! Finally, my insulin needs are starting to soar.......im 24 weeks and the baby is dancing around in my belly! And, for reassurance Candace- the doc never has stopped me from doing anything, infact they encouraged me to work right up to the end if I wanted to. Seriously, Im almost 6 months and I havent changed a thing that I do...still do my half hour power walk every day and no, Im not even waddling, easy as! Still walk the same pace. dont hardly look pregnant! Steal, do you know what you are having yet? prob have to wait a bit dont you? are you going to find out? x

Steal

Candace,

I was told that there are a few times in your life when Disability Insurers don't ask for medical history. This may just be the company sponsered through my work, but I was told that right after you get married, divorced, or have a child, you can add stuff without them looking into your history. The post child, doesn't really help.

I am just hitting 3 months, but have never been told to stop working. I felt sick all the time, but now that I am in trimester 2, that is gone! That really was the only thing that made me feel gross at work. But, I survived.

The company that I use is: The Standard - Home. I hope that this helps and I am sorry if the Disability Insurance route has been met with some roadblocks. I think if you really want a baby, you two will find a way.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.