Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

foxl

"shredded tofu" = "noodles?" "moccasin laces?"

foxl

I had a bag of these from my Oriental grocery ... it's Korean but carries Chinese and Japanese stuff too and these are from Taiwan.

I used them in my Thai soup and while they were chewier than wheat or rice noodles, take a bit of getting used to, I was going to put in Tofu so they were standing in for it AND noodles, and we were pretty happy with it. Not quite as, well, odd, as the shirataki noodles!

Chef Barrae

Odd? Do you look at Shirataki Noodles as odd? They are actually in the top 10 new healthy foods this year and are a traditional noodle from Japan. I don't think they're odd at all but we all do have differing opinions. I've been using them for quite some time now and in all kinds of dishes. Quite delicious, low calorie and practically carb free though and there's nothing odd about that in my books. I'll have to look for your shredded tofu noodles though.

foxl

Chef, I just really prefer the texture of these, to shirataki.

I know shirataki are popular, I am (believe ME!) open to new foods, I just did not like them that much.

Chef Barrae

I'd love to give these a try. Are they called Shredded Tofu or is there another name to look for? How is the texture different than Shirataki Noodles, can you elaborate a little. I know the Shirataki can be a little chewy but if they are cooked for a few minutes after rinsing them they are more like an al dente pasta texture and they absorb whatever flavor they are in just like tofu does. I know that you are an experienced cook and you can't get that way without being open to trying new things when going down that culinary road. I hope you didn't take that wrong. :)

I have just been amused that the "regular world" is just now learning about some of the foods that we diabetics have known about for a long time. I guess that means the price will go up as well as they gain in popularity!

foxl

Shirataki are clear, and bouncy.

The shredded tofu (I only saw one brand but bet there are more) comes in a foil pouch. It really has the texture of super-firm, dried tofu, if you are familiar with that. And it is indeed, as my husband said, similar to moccasin laces (rawhide). Fairly chewy. I want to try frying some, next time, too. And, it was CHEAP. My package recommended boiling 3 min, draining, and serving with soy and sesame oil.

I also like bean curd skins (high fat), but for some reason it is hard to find them before they get rancid, in our area!

Chef Barrae

Thanks, I'll have to look for them. Yes, I am going to experiment with frying the shirataki also. I have a noodle pancake type recipe to try out using them. Thanks again!

Caravaggio

Foxl, I don't know what moccasin laces look like or feel like, so I'm having difficulty imagining what you were describing as shredded tofu, so please bear with me. Were they the color of bread? In fact, could you describe them (when cooked in soup) as resembling baguette (if julienned) in soup?

Did you use them in place of noodles? Were they long (like shirataki, bean vermicelli or noodles)?

I'm interested in these and will be looking for these in my local supermarket.

foxl

Yes, they are noodle-y, but somewhat stiff and chewy, like rawhide shoelaces! And verrry long (symbolizing a long life, LONG!). I substituted them for both noodles AND tofu, in my soup.

I have no idea just how they made them this long and slender, from tofu ... but they did not crumble.

Caravaggio

I live in Tokyo, but I haven't seen them in my supermarket, which I swear has all the new food items that Japanese makers produce. I have to get the manager to get some.

foxl

Well, these are Taiwanese. They may be a Buddhist vegetarian thing. I tried googling to show a package but I got a huge variety of pruducts called "shredded tofu," some of which do not even appear to be SHREDDED, and many, many pointed to shirataki!

The package I bought was foil and had a photo of a plate of the noodles on the front, and they look like noodles!

Caravaggio

My mistake. Still, I'll try and get our supermarket guy to get these. I'll tell him it's healthy and will sell! :)

I'll also try the Chinese shops here.

alura

I found something called tofu shiritake noodles at Whole Foods. They come in a bag with water - not refrigerated. Sorry I didn't save the package for more info. Anyway, I gave them a try and they were not exactly edible. It was like chewing on a wad of rubber bands. I wouldn't recommend them at all.

foxl
I found something called tofu shiritake noodles at Whole Foods. They come in a bag with water - not refrigerated. Sorry I didn't save the package for more info. Anyway, I gave them a try and they were not exactly edible. It was like chewing on a wad of rubber bands. I wouldn't recommend them at all.

Nope those are the Shirataki ones. These are NOT Shiratake -- that is why I liked them :D !

Chef Barrae

I love the Shiritake noodles. Did you rinse them first in cool running water? And then cook them for a few minutes in your dish or with some broth or sauce? They should have the texture of al dente pasta not rawhide shoe laces. BTW, they should be refrigerated. My Whole Foods has them with the tofu in the refrigerator case.

foxl
I love the Shiritake noodles. Did you rinse them first in cool running water? And then cook them for a few minutes in your dish or with some broth or sauce? They should have the texture of al dente pasta not rawhide shoe laces. BTW, they should be refrigerated. My Whole Foods has them with the tofu in the refrigerator case.

No, no -- it's the shredded tofu that's like moccasin laces. Shirataki are like rubber bands! :D

Chef Barrae
No, no -- it's the shredded tofu that's like moccasin laces. Shirataki are like rubber bands! :D

Not if you can cook them properly. :D

alura

Chef, we must be talking about different brands, because these were not refrigerated and there was quite a stack on the shelf. I followed the directions to rinse well and parboil for 2-3 minutes. By the way, I love shopping at Whole Foods. Don't know if you know, but Whole Foods was started here in Austin and look how it has grown. My store even has a parking garage with escalators! I had planned to attend a cheese & wine tasting this evening, but had to work late.

Chef Barrae
Chef, we must be talking about different brands, because these were not refrigerated and there was quite a stack on the shelf. I followed the directions to rinse well and parboil for 2-3 minutes. By the way, I love shopping at Whole Foods. Don't know if you know, but Whole Foods was started here in Austin and look how it has grown. My store even has a parking garage with escalators! I had planned to attend a cheese & wine tasting this evening, but had to work late.

I wrote an article about them on my blog and I had a photograph of the package I purchased but the file is too big to post here. The photo, that is. If they were the shiritake with tofu they have to be refrigerated. Maybe Whole Foods goofed? I don't know. But, they aren't all that chewy but are more like al dente pasta to me. I wish I could post that photo of the package so you can see if it's the same. I know that the Whole Foods by me keeps them refrigerated and so does my local grocery store that just started carrying them.

Caravaggio

I have to agree with Chef that shirataki/konnyaku "noodles" is more like al dente pasta or overcooked pasta (if not cooked properly), but I've not had a rubber band texture. The thinner shirataki ones can also have the texture of glass noodles (if you are familiar with them).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.