Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Hammer

What drives you bananas?

buddy7
5 hours ago, Hammer said:

I get those product reviews also, and I just delete them.  The ones that get me the most are when you get your car serviced at the dealer, and before you leave with your car, the service manager tells you that you will be getting a survey in the mail or by e-mail, and they ask you to please give them all 10's ( a perfect score.)  I tell them, then what is the purpose of the survey if you ask all of your customers to give you all 10's?  Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the survey?

I once gave a dealership a negative review because of what I thought they did for my car was a mistake.  Within two days, I had the president of the dealership call me on the phone, I received e-mails from the manager of the dealership, and all that after the survey asked me if I wanted the dealership to contact me and I replied NO.  So now, I don't answer those surveys...they serve no purpose. 

Exactly Hammer, up till now I paid so much attention replying to them. But of late they got so time-consuming, thought I’d ditch the idea of responding to them. 2 company’s reviews that completely swung my mind, one, my cell/mobile phone provider, for whatever reason I go in to have my phone sorted, and on completion, I’m always told give us a good score on the reviews, but owing to their constant staff turnover, these guys are never there the next time you go in the store. (What a waste of time)

And the second one, are the politicians. Owing to the current Brexit/EU scenario in the UK at the moment, so far this week I had 2 reviews in from the leading parties. The first one had four A4 sheets of paper with tick boxes, and the second one had three A4 sheets of paper the same again all tick-boxes. My quick assertions it probably would’ve taken me a good 1 1/2 hours each to complete. Thought, no way I’m going to reply to these. (Straight to the bin).

I’d say no to further reviews in the future.

buddy7

And another thing, most company’s today use customers written reviews to sell their products but have to say I’m never in a habit of reading souped-up reviews to buy anything. If I see and want something that badly, I just go ahead and buy the product. And if for some reason the product does not meet my requirements. (I’d say tough) move-on, and bear the consequences, my mistake, which doesn’t happen very often.

Hammer
2 hours ago, buddy7 said:

And another thing, most company’s today use customers written reviews to sell their products but have to say I’m never in a habit of reading souped-up reviews to buy anything. If I see and want something that badly, I just go ahead and buy the product. And if for some reason the product does not meet my requirements. (I’d say tough) move-on, and bear the consequences, my mistake, which doesn’t happen very often.

When there is something that I need to buy, I usually check out the reviews on several websites, where they compare different brands, just to give me an idea of what the pros and cons are for each brand.  When I do that, price isn't important to me, but how well the product works and lasts, is what I'm looking for.  I typically do this when I have no experience with the type of item that I want to buy.

I recently purchased a Scott's Wizz broadcast spreader, since I wanted to spread some pelletized lime on certain bare spots on my lawn.  I used a soil test kit to determine why I wasn't able to get grass to grow there, and the test kit indicated that those areas were really acidic, so I needed to put down some lime on those areas to reduce the acidity.  Since this Wizz spreader was the only one that is battery powered, there weren't any other choices.  I mean, it only costs $19.95, and it comes with batteries, so even if it didn't work that well, it was no big deal, but it did work okay.  I don't think that it is designed for pelletized lime, which are pellets that are larger than grass seed, since several times it jammed when the pellets got jammed between the broadcast paddles that push the pellets out, and the adjustable edge guard device, but I cleared it out in a few seconds, so no big deal.  Although I wonder...the instructions say that it can be used to spread rock salt in the winter, and rock salt is larger than pelletized lime.  I'll have to check into that, since I do use salt in the winter to melt the ice on my driveway.

Anyway, getting back on topic (sorry that I strayed there a bit), if I look at the reviews for an item, and there are only 4 or 5 reviews, and they are all favorable, I get suspicious, since the manufacturer could have written those reviews.  If instead, there are hundreds of reviews, and most of them are favorable, then I have a tendency to believe them.

meyery2k

I have found, at least in the cycling world, the smaller companies will often reward reviews with substantial discounts or even gear.  The Walmarts and Targets, I feel, could care less, but I do make a point to offer reviews when dealing with smaller businesses.

buddy7
14 hours ago, Hammer said:

When there is something that I need to buy, I usually check out the reviews on several websites, where they compare different brands, just to give me an idea of what the pros and cons are for each brand.  When I do that, price isn't important to me, but how well the product works and lasts, is what I'm looking for.  I typically do this when I have no experience with the type of item that I want to buy.

I recently purchased a Scott's Wizz broadcast spreader, since I wanted to spread some pelletized lime on certain bare spots on my lawn.  I used a soil test kit to determine why I wasn't able to get grass to grow there, and the test kit indicated that those areas were really acidic, so I needed to put down some lime on those areas to reduce the acidity.  Since this Wizz spreader was the only one that is battery powered, there weren't any other choices.  I mean, it only costs $19.95, and it comes with batteries, so even if it didn't work that well, it was no big deal, but it did work okay.  I don't think that it is designed for pelletized lime, which are pellets that are larger than grass seed, since several times it jammed when the pellets got jammed between the broadcast paddles that push the pellets out, and the adjustable edge guard device, but I cleared it out in a few seconds, so no big deal.  Although I wonder...the instructions say that it can be used to spread rock salt in the winter, and rock salt is larger than pelletized lime.  I'll have to check into that, since I do use salt in the winter to melt the ice on my driveway.

Anyway, getting back on topic (sorry that I strayed there a bit), if I look at the reviews for an item, and there are only 4 or 5 reviews, and they are all favorable, I get suspicious, since the manufacturer could have written those reviews.  If instead, there are hundreds of reviews, and most of them are favorable, then I have a tendency to believe them.

So pleased for you that the Wizz spreader worked out alright for you. Some years ago had the same problem at my front garden next to my drive-in where absolutely nothing grew in this particular spot for years, including your idea, so many others were given to me. So in the end, I got so fed-up with this non-fertile soil, where it couldn’t even produce grass. I thought enough is enough. I dug this complete patch up, went to my local garden centre and bought enough lawn grass turf to cover that offending area, and that solved the problem. From then onwards grass grew every year.

A step back to the topic: To the manufactures, selling their products is business, at the other end of the stick, we are the consumers who get the worst part of the deal in the end. Yes! So it doesn’t harm, to be cautious when buying any product. But what’s so annoying, when manufacturers use customer’s reviews as a further ploy to enhance their prophets/business. And you’re so right, “the manufacturer could have written those reviews” themselves. And then the obvious springs to mind, (are we being taken for a ride).

buddy7
14 hours ago, meyery2k said:

I have found, at least in the cycling world, the smaller companies will often reward reviews with substantial discounts or even gear.  The Walmarts and Targets, I feel, could care less, but I do make a point to offer reviews when dealing with smaller businesses.

In a way that makes good sense to smaller struggling companies. But the likes of giant Superstores like Walmart & Target, discounting and running promotions is one of the most popular and arguably the most effective on the high streets today, one way to drive sales up, nothing but a pricing strategy for retailers across all sectors, I always see it as yet another capitalist ploy to enhance profits.

dowling gram
16 hours ago, buddy7 said:

But what’s so annoying, when manufacturers use customer’s reviews as a further ploy to enhance their prophets/business. And you’re so right, “the manufacturer could have written those reviews” themselves. And then the obvious springs to mind, (are we being taken for a ride).

No manufacturer would write bad reviews. I never read company or manufacturer reviews. I won't be dealing with the company or the manufacturer but a dealer or store and they must have a good reputation. I'd never buy from a dealer or store who doesn't print the bad reviews with the good. A bad review doesn't turn me off as long as there are more good than bad. A bad review could be from someone who doesn't read instructions of use common sense. The trick is to weigh the good against the bad

Hammer

Again, this is the umpteenth time this has happened to me, and it irritates me.  First, some of you know that my house is cluttered and dusty.  The reason that it's dusty is because it's cluttered and I can't vacuum or dust with all of that clutter.  The reason that it's cluttered, is because I always buy extra of everything, since I know that I will need it.  The reason that I buy extra of everything is due to the reason that I'm irritated.

This is what I mean by being irritated....I buy high quality blank CDs and DVDs (Verbatim DataLife Plus disks).  When I buy DVDs, I usually buy 600 at a time, since I use them for recording audio from my radio club meetings.  I have a high quality voice recorder that I use to record the minutes of the meetings, and I then transfer that to a blank DVD, since those recordings are in the gigabyte range, and I then file them away with a typed version of the minutes.  I went to place an order for another 600 blank DVDs, only to find out that the online store that I have ordered from for years, went out of business.  I then went to the second online store that I've ordered from, and they were also out of business.  It's because I order so many blank DVDs, that it's usually years before I need to order from them again, and in that time, the stores have gone out of business, which is why I order so many in the first place, and why my house is so cluttered.

I found another online store that sells what I need, so I ordered from them.  Now, my supply of jewel box cases is getting low, so I tried to find someplace that stocked my high quality jewel box cases...I couldn't find any, so I Googled the jewel box cases that I now use, and THEY are no longer being made, so I had to find another, comparable high quality jewel box case, which I did, so I ordered 200 of those, which is the amount that I usually order.

It just seems to me that, when I find a product that I like, that product is eventually discontinued.  Knowing that this has happened to me so many times, I end up ordering a bunch of them so that, if they are discontinued, I have a supply to last me for a good while, but in doing so, I need someplace to store them, and, well, that's why I have so much clutter.

Oh, and if anyone is wondering why I don't just go to any store and buy blank CDs or DVDs, I only buy Verbatim DataLife Plus disks, because they use a more stable dye than those cheap disks you get from Staples or Wal-Mart.  They don't sell Verbatim DataLife disks in those stores.  If you don't understand what I mean by a more stable dye....when you buy a commercially made DVD movie or a commercially made music CD, what they do is to use a highly reflective alloy, press it to make tiny indents in the alloy (like they did with vinyl records), then cover that alloy with a plastic to protect it.  Those indents are what makes that CD or DVD readable to your CD or DVD player.  When your CD or DVD player tries to read those disks, it shines a laser on the disk.  If there is no indent, then the laser is reflected back to the DVD or CD player and that is read as a "1". If there is an indent on the disk, then the laser is not reflected back and is dispersed, so that is read as a "0".  Remember, all digital devices operate by using "1's" and "0's.

When you have a blank DVD or CD, what they do is to take a highly reflective alloy disk, cover the bottom of it (where the "1's" and "0's" are read from) with a dye, then cover the whole thing in plastic.  When you "burn" a disk, the laser in your DVD/CD burner is simply burning a hole in that dye.  When your CD/DVD player goes to read that disk, if there is a hole burnt in the dye, then the highly reflective alloy disk will reflect the laser back to the player, which results in a "1".  If there is no hole burned in the dye, then the laser will be dispersed, and nothing will be reflected back to the laser, indicating a "0".

When you buy those cheap disks from Staples or Wal-Mart, those cheap disks are cheap because they use a very unstable dye.  That unstable dye will shift over the years, and that will end up closing some of those holes that were burnt through the dye, which will make the disk unreadable.  Those disks have a life expectancy of 5-6 years. The Verbatim DataLife Plus disks have a much more stable dye, which is why they cost more.  The life expectancy of these disks is 80 years.  I know, 80 years from now we won't have CD or DVD players, but at least the disks will still be intact...in case anyone wants to view them or listen to them.

OneEye
13 hours ago, Hammer said:

It just seems to me that, when I find a product that I like, that product is eventually discontinued.

I find that constantly; online as well as at my supermarket. Welcome to the future!

buddy7

Probably, I may have mentioned something like this in one of my other threads, must have just got back from KFC Friday, sometime around 15.30 hrs. Later on, that evening as like most smart cell/mobile phone users, though I’d have a browse to catch-up on current activities i.e. Bank details, emails, Facebook and so on. The first message I got, stated hope you enjoyed your KFC meal this evening, and as I browsed on further these messages kept popping up, they must have covered my activities up to 8 months back, they actually told me the places I visited in that period, shopping at my local Supermarket stores, shopping at the Intu Lakeside shopping complex, detailing the number of stores by name I’ve actually been in, How many times I’ve been to my Bank, two visits to my Lawyer, a local shopping area by name, a place I frequently visited, at least once a month, they even targeted my local Hospital where I had recent appointments.

Yes, you can say I’m a little pissed, about it. I’d like to think I’m not a naive person, given the history of the cell/mobile phone, I also like to think I’m pretty clued-up how they go about this new technology. What annoys me most, is how they used it. So to your cell/mobile phone users out there. The whole smartphone scenario has been one of the most misinformed, opaque, method of drip-feeding vital information from you, UNKNOWINGLY, probably one of the worst malpractice known to us this century, and the way I see it, things are just in its infancy of the technology. So to all cell/mobile phone users, locating tracking have the technology to collect your information, just be vigilant. Your privacy is completely deceased/expired, you’re no longer anonymous.

That said, the cell/mobile phone over the years has been part of our modern lifestyle, and we’ve got used to its dependence, out of the 5.1 billion users worldwide none of us, would be going out tomorrow and dumped our phones? With a generated economic value, an industry of 4.8 Trillion worldwide, do you think the manufactures, gives a toss? Certainly not.

However on hindsight, there are times I wish I took heed, never to own a cell/mobile smartphone handset, per Hammer’s cautious reminders, on this forum, about not having a cell/mobile phone, and the information he so posted. The Film/TV Series ‘Hunted’ USA, which later, was shown on UK TV as a weekly series, the futuristic TV show hinges itself on the locating tracking cell/mobile phone device. Which is currently used by our UK government, law enforcement officers, to bring criminals to justice.

The deepest privacy threat from cell/mobile phones, yet, one that is often completely invisible is the way that they announce your whereabouts all day and all night long through the signals they broadcast. There are at least four ways that an individual phone's location can be tracked by others. In all modern cell/mobile networks, the operator can calculate where a particular subscriber's phone is located whenever the phone is powered on and registered with the network. The ability to do this results from the way the cell/mobile network is built and is commonly called triangulation.

One way the operator can do this is to observe the signal strength that different towers observe from a particular subscriber's mobile phone, and then calculate where that phone must be located to account for these observations. The accuracy with which the operator can figure out a subscriber's location varies depending on many factors, including the technology the operator uses and how many cell towers they have in an area. Very often, it is accurate to about the level of a city block, but in some systems, it can be more accurate.

There is no way to hide from this kind of tracking as long as your cell/mobile phone is powered on and transmitting signals to an operator's network. Although normally only the cell/mobile operator itself can perform this kind of tracking. The question to ask, can a government force an operator to turn over location data about a user? The possibility of government access to this sort of data is not theoretical, it is already being widely used by law enforcement agencies in countries like the United States.

dowling gram

Buddy I have a cell phone but I'd never use it for fragile info that I wouldn't want anyone to see. It is too easy to hack cell phones. They can be hacked with a scanner at close range or by someone in a cashiers line up behind you and you'll never know they did it. Although cell phones have come a long way technically security is not very good yet

In fact I only have phone and text on my cell phone. I also use it for appointment reminders but the appointment names are in a code only I know or initials and times so if anyone else sees them they wouldn't know who they are.

I use my home computer for everything else and I have Excellent safeguards on it

Hammer

Buddy, what you stated is just another reason why I don't carry a cell phone with me.  My daughter got a cell phone for me to use (it's on her plan), but I rarely use it.  I rarely carry it with me, and when I do, it is turned off.  I only carry it with me when I am driving to a place that is some distance from me, since I might need it if my car breaks down, and even then, it is turned off.  If they still had pay phones, I wouldn't have this cell phone....I hate cell phones, and I think that they should be banned since no one NEEDS a cell phone, they are just an overpriced convenience that causes many car accidents. (distracted drivers.)

Hammer

I know that I post a lot in this thread, and that's because, well, as you get older, you have many things that drive you bananas.  I just got off the phone with my car and home insurance company, and I was starting to get really vocal with them.  I just got my insurance renewal statement, and my car insurance increased, like it always does.  I asked the insurance agent why my insurance rates went up, since I didn't file any claims, I didn't get any traffic tickets, and my vehicles depreciated over the past 12 months, so why did my rates go up instead of going down?  He said that it is because the insurance company takes into account a number of factors, including other people who have filed claims.  I asked him why my insurance rates should go up because other people drive poorly and have accidents, when I drive safely and don't have accidents, and he said that that is just how insurance companies work.  He said that my rates will never go down because of this.  He said that in all of his years of working for insurance companies, he has only seen a policy holder's rates go down maybe 2 times.

So what it comes down to is that, no matter how good you drive, no matter how few claims you make, your car insurance rates will constantly rise because other drivers don't drive as safely as you do.  What a rip off!  Oh, and just to add, as a ham radio operator and a member of the ARRL (American Radio Relay League), I am entitled to a discount from this particular insurance company.  When I first called this insurance company and asked about my discount, they told me that I was already getting a discount for whatever, and my ARRL discount was a part of that, which seemed odd since I had never asked for an ARRL discount.  When I complained about the rate increase, I was transferred to another agent, and when I mentioned my ARRL affiliation, he gave me that discount for both my home and auto insurance.  I paid over the phone with my credit card (like I did last year), and that discount saved me hundreds of dollars.  I don't know why the first lady I talked to wouldn't give me the discount, but at least I did finally get it from the second person I talked to.

dowling gram

Hammer I think you have to change your insurance provider. I have home and auto insurance with Intact insurance and I get a discount for having no accidents. The only time my insurance has gone up up is when I just bought a newer vehicle. I got a discount when I switched to gas from oil so while my insurance went up but it is still less than I thought it would be.

Every insurance company is different and follows different rules. I'd call yours and tell them you are thinking of changing to a company who gives a discount for safe driving. I'll bet they'd do something to keep you as a customer. If they don't then investigate other companies

Diana_CT
4 hours ago, Hammer said:

Oh, and just to add, as a ham radio operator and a member of the ARRL (American Radio Relay League), I am entitled to a discount from this particular insurance company.  

When I was a teenager I probably been to their headquarters a couple of dozen times. I was a member, a friend and I used to visit that headquarters in the next town over. I study for my license but I could never master Morse code.

A couple of years ago I drove by their headquarters, it brought back memories and I visited their website and saw the online sample test I took it and passed the test. I got all the electronic questions right but didn't get any of the questions about what bands you can use and the legal questions.

Hammer
3 hours ago, Diana_CT said:

When I was a teenager I probably been to their headquarters a couple of dozen times. I was a member, a friend and I used to visit that headquarters in the next town over. I study for my license but I could never master Morse code.

A couple of years ago I drove by their headquarters, it brought back memories and I visited their website and saw the online sample test I took it and passed the test. I got all the electronic questions right but didn't get any of the questions about what bands you can use and the legal questions.

Diana, they have changed the requirements for obtaining a ham radio license.  There is no longer a Morse Code requirement, there is just the written test.  If you are interested in studying for the test, this is the book you need to get.  It also helps if you go to a local ham radio club and talk with some of the members there as they will also help you with getting your license.  I don't know where you live, but I am sure that there is a ham radio club nearby that would be happy to help you.  If you are interested in getting your license, PM me with your city and I'll see if I can find out what club is near you, or you could just see which of these clubs is near you.

Edited by Hammer

Diana_CT
9 hours ago, Hammer said:

Diana, they have changed the requirements for obtaining a ham radio license.  There is no longer a Morse Code requirement, there is just the written test.  If you are interested in studying for the test, this is the book you need to get.  It also helps if you go to a local ham radio club and talk with some of the members there as they will also help you with getting your license.  I don't know where you live, but I am sure that there is a ham radio club nearby that would be happy to help you.  If you are interested in getting your license, PM me with your city and I'll see if I can find out what club is near you, or you could just see which of these clubs is near you.

In my younger I would have taken you up on your suggestion but now I have other hobbies that keep me busy.

Diana_CT

I am old enough now to officially say; “In my day we used to…”

When I was young we used to be outside from sunrise to after sunset playing. 

In the summer we used to go into the woods behind our houses and make tree forts or we would ride our bikes all over town. At the local ice cream shop (that made fresh ice cream from their own cows) besides ice cream they had great burgers (also from their own cows), during the day you would find 10 or 15 bikes out in front. On date nights most of the town teenagers could be found there (shades of Happy Days).

There was a brook through the woods that was dammed up with some rock were we could go swimming but you had to watch out the snapping turtles and pick the leeches off afterwards.

Some friends used to play in the Little League and they had games only on Saturday, there were no bleachers or lights; some little brother or sister was in charge putting the score up on a green sheet of plywood. If you wanted something to eat or drink you brought it in a cooler. 

But most of the time they played in “pick-up” games in someones back yard.

In the winter we used to go sledding down through the backyards or down to the local pond to go ice skating.

My parents house was on the bottom of the hill and the hill was about 150 feet high (45m) over the length of six house lots and we sled down the backyards from morning and in to the night (everyone would turn on their backyard spotlights) or slide down the really big hill one street over on the road on the road itself. But the backyards were best because we could build jumps for the sleds.

If you wanted to see if the ice was safe enough you went out to the middle of the pond and we all jumped up and down and if we didn’t fall though it was safe enough and we went home and got your skates (if it wasn’t we went home soaking wet and our clothes started to freeze on us). 

We used to walk the two blocks to the elementary school in the street because there are no sidewalks. In high school we had to walk up the hill to wait for the school bus and if it was snowing or raining the family at the bus stop used to let us wait under their breeze way out of the weather

Now…

You never see any children outside playing.

There are Little League games every night of the week in the summer. There are bleachers and lights along with a concession stand and there is a big shiny green electronic scoreboard. 

The local dairy farm has been sold and there are a hundred homes their now. There is a Dairy Queen in town with a drive though and not one bike can be found out in front during the summer.

At the school bus stop there are SUVs waiting for the bus and at the elementary school there is a line of SUVs waiting to drop off their children instead of them walking a couple of blocks.

All the houses have stockade fences around their backyards on the street making them look like they are Fort Apache and no one sleds there anymore. You have to go to a park now to sled.

The pond almost never freezes over enough for skating and when it does you have to wait for the town to put up a sign saying it is safe.

In all fairness I have to admit that my house is where one of the old dairy farms used to be, about a mile from where my parents used to live.

Hammer

Diana, I remember those days also.  Back then, I lived in a row house in the city, and it was one block away from a large park.  The park had a large public swimming pool, three softball diamonds, a large pond where people could ice skate on in the winter, and plenty of hills where you could sled down in the winter.  If you had a bike, you could ride all day through the park, or, just ride around your neighborhood.  You could roller skate on the streets in your neighborhood, there was a mom and pop corner store on every corner where you could buy a soda or an ice cream cone or a popsicle, all of the adults in the neighborhood were respected, and were obeyed as if they were your parents.  Police walked a beat, and they knew all of the people on their beat, and they were respected.  When it snowed, everyone would shovel off the sidewalk in front of their house so that others would have a cleared path to walk.  In the summer, they would close off the street next to mine, and there would be a carnival there.  It was there for one week, and they had a number of rides, like a ferris wheel, a carousel, etc., as well as wheels of chance (prize wheels), vendors selling cotton candy and other sweet treats.  Everyone respected one another, and the community was better for that.  It's unfortunate that that society no longer exists.  I guess that what we have today is considered to be progress (not in my opinion).😞