Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Hammer

What drives you bananas?

Hammer

I just had to deal with another annoyance.  I called a help line for a software product that I bought that wouldn't install on my computer.  After spending hours trying to get it to install, using every trick I could think of, I decided to call their support help line.  I called it and I got an automated voice asking if I wanted this or that, so I had to select from a list of options.  Once I did that, it took me to another automated voice that gave me another list of options.  Once I selected an option, it took me to yet another automated voice that gave me a list of options.  Once I selected an option, it took me to another automated voice that said that their offices were now closed, and to call back after a certain time.  Why couldn't they have just told me at the beginning that they were closed?🙄

meyery2k

@Hammer - Part of my job is to help customers design call flow for those automated attendants.  I warn against that.  My first words are usually that we can make this very complicated, very easily, which will then annoy your customers to no end.

After that, my general rule of thumb is to present as much information with as little verbiage as possible.  For example a customer might want to list all their staff.  If they have 20 employees this makes for a ridiculously long message.  I would encourage them to have callers press a key and go to that list or use the spell by letter directory feature most of these system have built in.

These poorly designed flows are why you see pressing "0" to talk to someone being phased out.  Justifiably, no one wants to be in voice mail jail and will press "0" to get out.

The best flows, to me, offer callers to dial extensions if known, offers no more than 5 options for departments (listing most commonly needed ones first), and uses the spell by name directory.  Callers that don't know what to do can still zero out or get transferred to an operator if they don't make a choice.  I have encountered where "0" either goes back to the top greeting (horrible), hangs up (even worse), or makes callers leave a message (less horrible but still not good).

bespawlerbison

I hate people who don't know how to say sorry.

I also hate stupid and incompetent people

I also do not like arrogant people, those who thinks they are superior

dowling gram
3 hours ago, bespawlerbison said:

I hate people who don't know how to say sorry.

I also hate stupid and incompetent people

I also do not like arrogant people, those who thinks they are superior

Don't spend all your time hating. It only hurts you by putting you in a lousy mood and festering in your mind and body.

Forgive people who won't say they are sorry. They may not know they offended you. The ones you  feel are stupid or incompetent may not have understood what you wanted or they are just having a bad day. You never know what devil someone else is dealing with. Maybe they don't have the brain power you have so thank god for what you have.

As for those that feel superior, they are the ones to feel sorry for and ignore. They are not worth your time.

If you let the bad things go and focus on the good you will have a more peaceful life with less stress and better health

meyery2k

That was something that took a while for me to learn.  When you allow people to upset you for a prolonged period of time, the have the power over you.  IF they are truly out to make you feel bad, they will derive their pleasure from that.

A good friend often counsels me that I have no control over what others do but I CAN control what I do and how I feel.  I sometimes fail to live to this but, when I remember, it is powerful.

Hammer
On 3/21/2020 at 11:26 AM, meyery2k said:

@Hammer - Part of my job is to help customers design call flow for those automated attendants.  I warn against that.  My first words are usually that we can make this very complicated, very easily, which will then annoy your customers to no end.

After that, my general rule of thumb is to present as much information with as little verbiage as possible.  For example a customer might want to list all their staff.  If they have 20 employees this makes for a ridiculously long message.  I would encourage them to have callers press a key and go to that list or use the spell by letter directory feature most of these system have built in.

These poorly designed flows are why you see pressing "0" to talk to someone being phased out.  Justifiably, no one wants to be in voice mail jail and will press "0" to get out.

The best flows, to me, offer callers to dial extensions if known, offers no more than 5 options for departments (listing most commonly needed ones first), and uses the spell by name directory.  Callers that don't know what to do can still zero out or get transferred to an operator if they don't make a choice.  I have encountered where "0" either goes back to the top greeting (horrible), hangs up (even worse), or makes callers leave a message (less horrible but still not good).

Mike, many years ago when I first moved into this house, I needed to call up the mortgage company to ask them a question.  Their automated answering system was so pathetic, that I recorded it for others to hear.  Listening to it, actually started to get amusing.  When you first called them, the automated system ran down a list of at least 10 extensions.  Listening to the entire list, you chose the one that was the closest to what you wanted.  Pressing the button to make that choice, you were presented with another list of 10 choices.  After selecting the one that was closest to what you needed, you were presented with yet another list of 10 choices.  This went on for at least 7 or 8 lists of choices, and started to make me laugh.  By the time I had selected the last choice from the last list, I was transferred to an automated machine that said that their offices were closed, and listed the times that the office was open.  I never called back. (maybe that was their intent.)

dowling gram

I wonder if the guy who invented the answering machine knows what a boondoggle it is today. He must because I heard an interview with him once where he thought he would be helping people. Like Nobel not every invention is good.

buddy7
4 hours ago, dowling gram said:

I wonder if the guy who invented the answering machine knows what a boondoggle it is today. He must because I heard an interview with him once where he thought he would be helping people. Like Nobel not every invention is good.

Can’t be more complex or ingenious back then when Alexander Graham Bell first invented the telephone 1876. I wonder if Alexander Graham Bell thought it was a waste of time, back then, good job he didn’t.

I’d say the answering machine being part and parcel as an essential or integral component of the Telephone. I often ask myself what Alexander Graham Bell would've said about the telephone today.

dowling gram
1 hour ago, buddy7 said:

I’d say the answering machine being part and parcel as an essential or integral component of the Telephone. I often ask myself what Alexander Graham Bell would've said about the telephone today.

Today it is a part of the telephone but I don't think it is an essential part of the telephone. I'd gladly give up the answering machine if business would stop using voice mail to screw you around. If I get a call from friends or family or anyone and I'm not home, if it's important they will call back. Doctors and dentists don't call any more to remind you of appointments--they send you an email so I wouldn't miss my answering machine.

However business taken The answering machine to a whole new level. They use it to avoid customer calls. Oh yes they all say your business is important to them but you have to push countless buttons and then they leave you hanging for a half hour listening to god awful music, if you can call it music. If you finally get a person it will be someone with an accent so thick you can't understand them. Most times you get so frustrated you hang up and look for answers yourself. I get more results by looking them up on facebook or other sites and giving them a bad review. They only want good things said there so you get better results

ran23

Starting a week ago, I now get 10-12 junk phone calls everyday.  I even went to the "Do Not Call Web site' and I am still listed. ??