Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Hammer

What drives you bananas?

Hammer
7 hours ago, ran23 said:

Something keeps dropping my password on this forum.?

Ran, just a thought here....Since no one else is having this problem, it's most likely with your computer.  Have you tried clearing your cache and history?  I once had a problem logging in to this site, and Tony suggested that I do those two things and it solved my problem.

Hammer
17 hours ago, Dowling said:

Yes I do check on line for delivery date on line but due to where I live it is not always on the date given. Since I'm 25 miles from the city it may be on the date or a day later. With Covid 19 most parcels are not on time anyway. Most drivers will put the parcel on my porch where it would be out of the weather and ring the bell. They never wait to see if it's picked up. I do try to keep an eye out and often meet them at the door but that day I was busy in my spare room and didn't hear the truck and I never would have checked the back deck for a parcel. This yahoo walked the length of my house yet couldn't climb 4 stairs to ring my bell. He threw it on the deck. The way it was sitting I knew it wasn't placed there. Most drivers are pleasant and try to do a good job but this one was just going through the motions

Dowling, while the delivery date may be incorrect, if you do like I do and check the tracking status of the delivery every day, if it's been delivered, it will say that it's been delivered.  When I boot up my computer, that's the first thing that I check on...to see if it's been delivered.  I have to do that because of the overnight delivery of my insulin.  My regular mail comes around 2 PM every day, and when I go out to get it, I'll check the front door and side door of my house to see if the package was delivered.  If I don't see it, I will still check every hour with the tracking information to see if it's been delivered, and a lot of the times it has.  I've had packages delivered as late as 8:30 PM (and it was snowing), and the only way that I was able to find that out was by constantly checking the tracking information.  Typically, the tracking will say if the package is out for delivery, meaning that I should receive it that day.

Hammer

Has anyone gone to their car dealership to get another key fob made?  I need to get an extra key fob for my 2018 Durango SUV, so I called today, to see what's involved.  I need to bring in my two key fobs, as well as the vehicle, so that they can program all three key fobs and the vehicle.  What  do you think it costs to buy that new key fob?  Take a guess.  Considering that it's probably made in China, I'd say that it probably costs Dodge no more that $20.  I could be wrong, but I doubt it.  If I could just buy a regular metal key, I would (I hate these remote keys), but this vehicle has a push button start (I hate that also), so there is no way to start it with a metal key.  Guess what this key fob costs?  Don't scroll down to see the answer, guess first, then scroll down to see the answer.

$311.64 😒

$180 for the fob.

$42 for the metal key that's attached to the key fob to allow you to open the door if the fob won't, and to lock the glove box.

$72 to program the fobs and the vehicle. 

$17.64 tax

Dowling

Hammer---Precisely why I look for things that have less technology when I'm buying appliances and things. Of course you can't do that with a car. They all have it. My friend has a 2 year old car Nissan and the dash board computer went blank the other day. It's still under warrantee but I'll bet it would cost a bundle if it weren't. They get you every time.  They add these all the extras and then charge an arm and leg to fix them plus labor.

Hammer
36 minutes ago, Dowling said:

Hammer---Precisely why I look for things that have less technology when I'm buying appliances and things. Of course you can't do that with a car. They all have it. My friend has a 2 year old car Nissan and the dash board computer went blank the other day. It's still under warrantee but I'll bet it would cost a bundle if it weren't. They get you every time.  They add these all the extras and then charge an arm and leg to fix them plus labor.

Dowling, I agree with you 100%.  When I bought my washing machine, I wanted a simple machine, one that had no digital control panel, just one that had the simple mechanical switches and knobs.  While technology is great, it seems that manufacturers are over doing it.  Who needs a refrigerator that will call the grocery store and have them ship you milk when you run out?...or a refrigerator that has a monitor on it that you can use to access the internet?

Most vehicles these days have touch screens that control everything....the radio, the A/C, the heat, the rear view camera (who needs that?), the lowering of the headrests in the third row seating, and on and on.  What happens when that touch screen breaks?  I'll bet that thing costs at least $2,000 to replace.  Most of us know that cars and electronics don't work well together.  Electronics don't survive well in outdoor conditions, so why put them in a car?  Like you said, they put this junk in today's cars, whether you want it or not, then make you pay for it, then, when it breaks down, they make you pay an arm and a leg to fix it, even though you didn't want it in the first place.

I do like technology, but not when the manufacturers overdo it.  The more technology something has, the more things that can go wrong with it.

Hammer

This is something that I think that a lot of us have experienced.  As the secretary of my ham radio club, I'll send out announcements of the club's activities.  In my e-mails, I will explain in detail, what the club is doing.  Invariably I will get a number of club members asking me for details....details that were in my original e-mail to them...."what is the date of the event?"...."what is the time of the event?"...."what do I need to bring?"...."how much will it cost?"....etc.  Can't people just read the e-mail?....not to mention that, when I run our weekly net, which is a gathering of club members on the airwaves, I will also mention the event, with all of the details, but people will still e-mail me asking for details.  These details are also posted on our club's website, but I guess that the people who still ask me for the details, don't want to be bothered to go to the website.

Then there are times when I send the entire club an e-mail asking for their response to an issue that the club has.  Out of 61 club members, I might get 3 responses.  Getting that few number of responses isn't enough to determine what the club should do about the issue that we are having, so nothing can be done about it.  Why can't people just reply to an e-mail, especially when it concerns a club that they belong to?

Edited by Hammer

Dowling
3 hours ago, Hammer said:

This is something that I think that a lot of us have experienced.  As the secretary of my ham radio club, I'll send out announcements of the club's activities.  In my e-mails, I will explain in detail, what the club is doing.  Invariably I will get a number of club members asking me for details....details that were in my original e-mail to them...."what is the date of the event?"...."what is the time of the event?"...."what do I need to bring?"...."how much will it cost?"....etc.  Can't people just read the e-mail?....not to mention that, when I run our weekly net, which is a gathering of club members on the airwaves, I will also mention the event, with all of the details, but people will still e-mail me asking for details.  These details are also posted on our club's website, but I guess that the people who still ask me for the details, don't want to be bothered to go to the website.

Then there are times when I send the entire club an e-mail asking for their response to an issue that the club has.  Out of 61 club members, I might get 3 responses.  Getting that few number of responses isn't enough to determine what the club should do about the issue that we are having, so nothing can be done about it.  Why can't people just reply to an e-mail, especially when it concerns a club that they belong to?

Hammer I have belonged to a few clubs. Every time it was only a handful of members who did all the work to keep the club going. The rest are there for the perks and never do anything to contribute to the club. It always annoys those who do the work so you are not alone. When I was secretary for 1 group I adopted some strategies to solve some problems like yours.

When people bug you for info that is on the website, send and resend an email stating that the info is on the website and give the address. Do not give the info requested or every time they will be bugging you instead of looking it up themselves

When you send an email requesting a response Add a note on the bottom that says. If you have an opinion on this voice it or we will go with the consensus of those who do (and do it). There is an old saying" If you don't vote you can't complain". I would also give a list of options and an "other" space. Some people will take the time to check off a box or write in the other space but not write an email.

If these don't work then you are on your own but surely you can think of a nice way to wake up people

Edited by Dowling

Hammer

Dowling, I agree, but for some reason, people don't seem to remember what I said or sent to them.  Before the COVID-19 lockdown, the club would meet for our business meetings, as well as our tech sessions, on the same days of the month, at the same time of the month, and at the same location.  I would get old timers that would e-mail me to ask what day and time it was being held on, even though these people would attend every meeting.  I am an old timer myself, so I can't understand how these people can't remember the day and time of each month when the meetings are held, I mean, they attend every meeting.....can't they remember what day and time it was held on?  All they have to do is write it down when I mention it on our weekly net.  If I mention it once a week (4 times a month) on the net, why can't they remember it?  By the same token, they have paid their membership dues for decades, so why do they ask me how much their dues are...especially when I e-mailed them, telling them how much the dues are?

I don't get mad when I receive questions like this from club members....that's my job, but it gets frustrating because, I have sent out as much information as I could  to the club members, but I still get e-mails asking questions about what I sent them.  For the most part, ham radio operators are not stupid people, since they studied and passed the test to get their ham license, but it makes me wonder why they can't just read my e-mails, and not ask questions that are answered in my e-mails.

Before I ask questions about anything in the forums that I am subscribed to, I always try to look for the answers elsewhere, and in most cases, I am able to find the answer.  Why can't others do this?  In the time it takes for them to send me an e-mail, then wait for my response, they could just as easily have typed their question in to Google, and gotten a response in seconds.

Maybe I shouldn't have accepted the job as my radio club's secretary, but to be honest, I really enjoy doing this job.  I want to do as much as I can for the club, since I know that it really helps the club.  I participate in our yearly hamfest, our Field Day, any activities that the club is involved in, and many other activities that might spring up on the spur of the moment, but I am getting old and decrepit, and my body is slowing me down, which I hate.  As long as I can stand on my own two feet, I will be participating in club activities....I like my club that much, because we have a lot of really great club members.

Edited by Hammer