Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Hammer

What drives you bananas?

Hammer
7 hours ago, adiantum said:

Is it that now we have reached a mature age that we have the confidence to speak up  or is it  that the medical profession no longer respects the client.

Lee, I think it's that we have reached the age where we have the confidence to speak up.  As we age, we go through all kinds of things....sorta like "been there, done that", kinda thing.  Having gone through these experiences has taught us that WE are in charge of our health, not some doctor.  We tell the doctor what we want, and expect them to do what we tell them.  Like Dowling said, we have lived with this issue, they haven't, so we know what we need to do to take care of the issue, and we expect them to give us what we need to do that.

I think that there is also the factor that we are old, and we don't care what people think about us, doctors included.  When we were younger, we did care about what others thought about us, but as we age, we realize that we have no control over what others think about us, so we just do what we want, and let them think whatever they want about us.  I guess it's that we are comfortable in our own skins....we are comfortable with who we are, because it's taken us a lifetime to get to where we are.  With the internet, we can now research whatever health issues we have, we can go to forums like this one, and ask questions, and by doing that, we can get a good idea of what we need to take care of our health.  Arming ourselves with this knowledge, we have the ability to challenge doctors opinions, which I have found, usually gets the respect of doctors, since they realize that you know what you're talking about.

My mother was from the older generation, and she, like a lot of others from her generation, thought that, what the doctors told her was like it was spoken from god, and that she needed to do what the doctors told her to do.  When I tried to tell her that her doctor was wrong, she acted as if I didn't know what I was talking about, even when I showed her proof of what I was saying.  To her, the doctor was god, and I wasn't, and there was nothing that was going to change her views on that.  

FunDad62

I have similar doctor stories.  You have to take charge of your own health.  They don't consider things like time and cost when tossing out procedures and tests.  I have some severe pain in my upper left arm when I move it certain ways which I guess is bursitis.  Went to the doc, who gave me a steroid injection in my butt (which did not help in the slightest), sent me for an x-ray, went to PT (seven times) as they advised, got three therapeutic massages, went back to the doc who sent me to an orthopedic doc an hour away, who then said I needed to get an MRI next.  I finally said no.  I know an MRI would cost me $1,000 out of pocket.  I had my regular cardiac stress test this summer which used to cost me nothing, and I got a bill for $1,200 a few weeks ago.  All that and my arm still hurts like the first day I went to the doctor.  And all that I did do cost me $950 total.  I was supposed to go to the cardiologist this week and I called and told them I wouldn't be able to come until I paid off the $1,200 bill I got for the stress test he ordered.

Dowling
46 minutes ago, FunDad62 said:

I have similar doctor stories.  You have to take charge of your own health.  They don't consider things like time and cost when tossing out procedures and tests.  I have some severe pain in my upper left arm when I move it certain ways which I guess is bursitis.  Went to the doc, who gave me a steroid injection in my butt (which did not help in the slightest), sent me for an x-ray, went to PT (seven times) as they advised, got three therapeutic massages, went back to the doc who sent me to an orthopedic doc an hour away, who then said I needed to get an MRI next.  I finally said no.  I know an MRI would cost me $1,000 out of pocket.  I had my regular cardiac stress test this summer which used to cost me nothing, and I got a bill for $1,200 a few weeks ago.  All that and my arm still hurts like the first day I went to the doctor.  And all that I did do cost me $950 total.  I was supposed to go to the cardiologist this week and I called and told them I wouldn't be able to come until I paid off the $1,200 bill I got for the stress test he ordered.

fun dad I don't think you have bursitis. Bursitis is inflammation of the bursa sac. You have these all over your body. They are fluid filled sacs that ease friction between muscles and bones. If you had bursitis the bursa would be swollen and hurt when you pressed on them by pressing around the joint. I've had this before and it does not hurt when you move a certain way it just hurts. What does hurt when you move a certain way is arthritis. I have had this too.

After I broke my hip 18 years ago my bones were so bad I was not allowed to put weight on that leg for 6 weeks. From the constant weight bearing on my right leg I developed arthritis in my right knee. They advised physiotherapy but I figured physiotherapy would not fix bone rubbing on bone. I did my research and I found out about Glucosamine and Chondroitin. Chondroitin builds up cartilage between the bones and glucosamine plumps up what cartilage is there. They come together in 1 pill. I started taking it the recommended 3 times a day. After about a month I switched to just Glucosamine 3 times a day. The knee gradually got better and in 6 months I had no pain at all. I took it until a few months ago and then I got the bright idea I didn't need it so I quit. 3 weeks later I woke up one morning and couldn't raise my arm higher than my shoulder without a lot of pain. That did it! From that day on until they put me in my grave I will take it. I have full mobility of all my joints and no pain

I 've had people say it didn't work for them but when asked if they took the full dose the answer is no or else they didn't take it long enough to work. It's not an overnight fix but it does work for me

Edited by Dowling