Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jeggeman31

Well my 11yo goes to the DR

nantomsuethom

Wow Jim, I am so sorry to hear that your son has diabetes. There really is no possitive here but atleast he knows a little about it from watching you and he has a great support person right there at home with him.

(me thinks she hid the meter on him finally . j/k Nancy :D ).

As much as I try he somehow finds one to use :- .

Hopefully he will slow down on his testing. I have told Thomas that he is going to have to use his own money for strips if he tests more than 15X a day ;) . His doctor wrote a script for 15-20X a day, so the insurance gives us 2000 strips every 3 months.

Have they started your son on any meds yet?

dixiepixie64

Well dang, Jim. I guess that is one (of many) of the bad things about diabetes...the symptoms are pretty unmistakeable once you know how to recognize them. It's good you were able to catch it before he became really ill. Sounds like your son is in great hands though and you two will be able to learn to pump together perhaps :)

soremom

Jim, I was really hoping things turned out for the best for you, I am so sorry they didn't. Atleast he won't be going it alone and you already know alot about this disease, not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing, lol. I think that will help you deal a little better with the shock of everything. Since it was caught early, it doesn't sound as if we will have to be hospitalized which I think is nice.

I know the mental anguish, to a degree, that you are going through. We always feel so responsible for our kids. I know my parents went through that when my sister and I were diagnosed 4 months a part. As far as we knew, there was no T1s in the family. But I looked at my getting gestational and then T1 as a blessing. I was diagnosed before things were out of control and landed in DKA and so did my sister. I know that doesn't help, but hang in there and you know we are here for you

Good luck to you and your son. I know you will do fine, eventually. I can't remember, how old is your son? Just curious, sorry to ask.

Kim

CarlyesHope

Jim,

I'm sorry to hear about your son, I know that as a parent, I would rather die a million deaths than to put my child through anything like this. I know you are an "expert" by now, but Carlye is 12 so if/when your son wants/needs to talk with someone his age, she is here... she checks in faithfully everyday.

Kelly

Funnygrl

So sorry to hear your bad news. At least they caught it early and he doesn't have to be in the hospital or anything. Does he have type 1? Are they going to do anything until the endo appointment?

Cinnabon

As hard as it may seem, friend, I was there 22 yrs ago, me being the child with Diabetes and my parents being absolutely lost with my diagnosis. This great force makes us strong. I consider your son EXTREMELY lucky to have you by his side. So head on with this problem and I have this gut feeling he will be great! We are all here to help with everything & anything we can.

soremom

Just wondering how your son is making out. Every time I look at my little one, I think of your son. I hope things are going well, as well as can be under the circumstances. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Kim

jeggeman31
Just wondering how your son is making out.

He is doing good. Thanks for asking. He is keeping his chin up and taking this like a good sport. Very egar to learn how to poke himself, how to run the bs meter and everything else that comes along with it. He reads each and every food label at school and won't eat anything that has 10 grams or more of sugar. For some reason he got that number stuck in his head and that is what he goes by. He is being a great sport about it all.

gettingby

Jim,

I think it's great that your son has such a positive outlook on this. I know alot of kids who wouldn't. He has a wonderful role model in you to look to and follow. Know that we will help in any way we can. That's what "family" is for and that's what we are: Your "online family". :D

Cielo

That really is amazing that he is confronting this head on. A lot of other young kids would deny it and ignore it hoping it'd go away. Or they'd hide it at school and the like but your son is being extremely mature and responsible in his approach. I can only attribute that reaction to being raised by such a responsible and loving family. Many props to you all. :thumbsup:

sparkle9

Jim,

Your son sounds like a terrific kid. I know he'll be able to manage this with you to help him.

Sparkle

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.