Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EsmesMom

Questions about insulin and 3rd trimester

EsmesMom

Ok so through out my whole pregnancy my numbers have been higher then before getting pregnant. Now all of a sudden to day my number have dropped. Im 33weeks and 2days. Is it normal for my insulin need to drop at this point? Is it possible that something is wrong? Any information would be helpful

e||ement

i'm sure someone with more experience will be along shortly to help...

this is my first diabetic pregnancy, and i'm only 18 weeks.

but i do know, from chatting with other diabetic women expecting babies that although there is a rough pattern of what most women follow regarding insulin requirements, it's entirely and individual experience.

i suggest if you have concerns to contact your doctor/endo right away.

but the sudden drop it could be from a number of things...increased activity, change in diet, baby is taking up more glucose for whatever reason.

how drastic is the drop? are you experiencing lows that need to be treated? if the numbers are within a certain range, i'd say you are probably ok.

sarahspins
Is it normal for my insulin need to drop at this point? Is it possible that something is wrong? Any information would be helpful

Not really, and yes, but it could also be nothing. I had a slight decline in insulin needs at the very end of all 3 of my pregnancies, but it wasn't dramatic.

What I'd suggest, is to do a kick count right now.. see if you get 10 large movements in the next hour. If you don't.. honestly I'd just go to L&D tonight to get checked out. Better safe than sorry.

If your kick count is fine, I'd still call your OB in the morning and insist on getting in for a biophysical profile... don't wait until Monday.

KrissyKC

My insulin needs kept rising a tad with each of my first two pregnancies until I delivered. Then, it was sudden that I didn't need much at all and quickly went back to just metformin.

With my third... (remember, my experience only)... we had to hurry and take her (induced) because of my insulin needs suddenly and drastically dropping...

I was driving and suddenly without warning go into major insulin shock.. I'd pull over on the highway, guzzle four packets of honey... eat a granola bar, a whole big banana... find that wasn't enough and manage to get myself to the next exit where there was a mcdonalds and thought the protien in a hamburger would help me digest some carbs, so I got a double cheese burger, a REGULAR soda to have just incase I needed it on the way home...

I needed it... I ended up drinking the whole soda, and still ran in the house shaking, numbness all over, and my sugars were 35.... I just pounced on the fridge, anything and everything that would bring those sugars up.

I ate so much, I wanted to puke, but my sugar only raised to 65...

So, I called the doctor, was about to call an ambulance, but sugars stayed at 65.... Doctor arranged for an induction early the next week, but told me that if anything else came up, to call. Now, he told me to keep using my insulin the same, but sometimes I don't think DR's know what they are talking about.... either that or he didn't believe my tale or I sounded too hysterical or something... so, I cut my insulin by half... and then half again over the weekend. Only taking what I absolutely needed, and testing like crazy to keep my sugars in goal.

Here's what had happened... I guess diabetes can cause the placenta to break down early. If it does that, it can harm the baby and affect your insulin needs. The baby can stop getting the nutrients and such that it needs, and your insulin needs start returning to normal...

I was safe, though, and so was healthy baby....

Grandma was put out a bit because that same day my other two kids came down with the flu.... Poor grandma had two sick kids on her hands while I was in labor!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.