Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sfabaritone

is it hard to get pregant with diabetes

sfabaritone

i am 20 and married and i have been a diabetic for a long time. i was wanting to know the steps that i would have to take to prepair my body for kids?

Christina17

I'm 36 and diabetic and managed to get pregnant within 2 months of trying. The best thing is to get your glucose in tight control BEFORE trying to conceive. MY OB recommended an A1C of less than 6. Baby is at greatest risk of birth defects from exposure to maternal high glucose within the first 8 weeks of development- a time when many women aren't yet aware that they are pregnant. Following this advice, I have managed my pregnancy with tight glucose control on insulin and diet (was on metformin prior to trying to conceive) and have had levels better than most non-diabetic people. Best of luck!

sfabaritone

thanks i am just very scared that i wont be able to get preg :(.

is there any kind of fertility meds that they give to diabetics????

barbsales

Well let me tell you something about me lol. I was diagnosed as Type 2 when I was 16, and ever since, have had A1C levels higher then 10. And my doctors are pretty sure that up until I was 23, I had not started even ovulating. It was around my 23rd birthday, when I finally started to ovulate, because I had been working hard to get my bloodsugars under control, and got my A1C down to around the middle 7's. It took that, for me to get pregnant. I'm now 26 weeks along, and the baby is healthy, and good, although I still have craving problems and sometimes go overboard, my A1C was checked a couple of weeks ago and was 6.4; So, I am hoping that everything is going to continue to go well. But I agree that if you are planning to become pregnant start taking prenatal vitamins now, and just keep your A1C down as much as you can.

And good luck :)

Blooeyes
thanks i am just very scared that i wont be able to get preg :(.

is there any kind of fertility meds that they give to diabetics????

When I fell pregnant i went to some classes at the maternity hospital where I was going to give birth and there was a few women in the class that had been prescribed by their doctor metformin for fertility. I on the other hand already took it because of my diabetes. I think like other ppl have mentioned before you worry about fertility just try to get your blood sugars under control and you might find when your body is working better in terms of blood sugar, nature may take it's course :) It is very important in the first couple of months to have good blood sugar levels in order for your baby to form correctly and be healthy. Good luck :) Stay positive;)

gracie72

I am getting married in less than a month and we have been talking about starting a family. My last A1C's are still 11, and am labeled insulin resistant. My doctor has prescribed a new drug, gliclazide, along with metformin, to help produce insulin. My blood sugar numbers are coming down with this drug in a more normal range, but not all the time. Anyway, we want kids but I am afraid this, among high BP medication will cause defects or other problems in my baby. Can anyone relate?? Has anyone gone through this very thing?? What was your experience either way?

diaboki
I am getting married in less than a month and we have been talking about starting a family. My last A1C's are still 11, and am labeled insulin resistant. My doctor has prescribed a new drug, gliclazide, along with metformin, to help produce insulin. My blood sugar numbers are coming down with this drug in a more normal range, but not all the time. Anyway, we want kids but I am afraid this, among high BP medication will cause defects or other problems in my baby. Can anyone relate?? Has anyone gone through this very thing?? What was your experience either way?

Hi Gracie. I realize you posted this over two months ago, but if you're still around I just wanted to tell you I'm currently going through all this myself. I'm new to the forum. I'm working with my RE and my DE and would love to discuss this further with you. One thing I will tell you, though, is that you will probably have to change BP meds because most of the good ones are bad for pregnancy. I was on one that caused me problems, but just started on another one that seems to be working great. Anyway, respond if you're still around. :-)

aiah23

I was switched from an ARB to a calcium channel blocker. Been on it three weeks w/ no problems other than being a little more tired than before. Since my blood pressure is fine, and the meds are really a preventative for my kidneys, I check my blood pressure a couple times a day to make sure it isn't too low prior to taking meds (too low to take meds for me is 100/60 or lower). I've only had to skip meds once though. It just becomes another thing to monitor but it doesn't take up much time or space:)

Fawn

genie86333

Just like with everything, some people have issues (and sometimes it's complicated by PCOS which is prevalent among diabetics) and some don't.

For instance, I'm 99% sure I was already diabetic when I got pregnant w/my youngest & got pregnant with 1 try! However, my mom was diabetic (undiagnosed) and took her 19 years of marriage before she got pregnant...once they figured out she was diabetic & got her diabetes somewhat controlled, she got pregnant again in a year and a half.

michaljohn
Hidden

There are many successful pregnancies, but according to the American Diabetes Assoc., pregnant diabetics with type 1 and II diabetes still have a higher rate of birth defects. The range of birth defects is 2 - 23% and is dependent on blood glucose levels during the first 8 weeks of pregnancy when the baby's organs are being formed.

nose huggies

Sbennett

I am currently 10 weeks pregnant with my 2nd and it took us around 6 months to get pregnant. Also this reason it took us 6 months has nothing to do with my diabeties it was due to some issues with my husband. So in my case I don't think me being diabetic has anything to do with us not getting pregnant right away. I hope this helps.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.