Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

foxl

"manly" stuffed peppers ...

foxl

:) In the middle eastern tradition of stuffed peppers, but seasoned more like Tex-Mex, here:

1 lb ground beef (I used the fake stuff) -- fry, drain well, then keep frying with 2 TBS chopped garlic and 2 TBS onions or scallions ... 1 TBS chili powder, 1 tsp paprika, 1/2 cup or more if you like it, cilantro ... you could also add some walnuts for texture if you like.

Take 4 poblano peppers (the really dark green flattened bell-shaped ones), roast over flame to char skin, turning frequently (thinner-fleshed than domestic hybrids, burn easily). Place in a paper bag to steam the skins loose, wait 10" and strip the skins. Cut the stem out, and seed, slit down one side if you wish.

Fill with meat mixture, top with grated sharp cheddar or Mexican Cheese, and bake 20 minutes or till the cheese melts, at 350.

Without any starch to absorb the fat, these will seem greasy -- I suppose you could add some flaxmeal or something to sop it up ... but I rolled mine in a low-carb tortilla to eat!

foxl

That one is straight out of Dana Carpender's 500 more Low-carb recipes -- I did not change it at all. Very pleased with it!

foxl

You could use cauli-rice to absorb the fat, either in the stuffing, or around the peppers, in the baking pan!

I made a different stuffed pepper tonight (with fake chicken and middle eastern seasonings) and used the cauli-rice -- voila!

alura

Oops, too late for the cauli-rice. Baked a whole head of cauli which I sliced thin w/olive oil like you recommended foxl. I have to make myself stop eating it. I let it get dark brown and I especially love the crunchy bits. Leftovers tomorrow, yum!

Seagal

These peppers sound delicious! I am puzzled by your use of "fake" meat & chicken, is that TVP? Scuse the ignorance, if you have posted this elsewhere:)

Keri

foxl
These peppers sound delicious! I am puzzled by your use of "fake" meat & chicken, is that TVP? Scuse the ignorance, if you have posted this elsewhere:)

Keri

Keri, I am a vegetarian, have been for nigh on 36 years. TVP is generally a term used for unflavored, unseasoned textured vegetable protein. I buy flavored, seasoned types at my regular grocery -- Morningstar Farms, Boca, and Quorn all have various frozen products on the market.

Seagal

I see:) I have used the TVP, but was not sure what the fake products were, will have to check them out next time I go shopping.

Thanks,

Keri

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.