Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

e||ement

baby big already...and cyst (me)

e||ement

so far my baby is measuring in the 76th percentile for size...which my endo thinks is NOT due to high sugars. (i have the occasional high, but my last A1C was 5.6...)

my son was average size (7lb 7oz at 40w4days).

anyway, is this an alarming percentile, i really don't know?? should i prepare myself for a mammoth child?

also, the ultrasound tech's sheet said I have a maternal ovarian C.T. cyst measuring small. my endo didn't know what the C.T. stands for...does anyone else? (i have all these wild ideas running through my head like C.T. = cancer tumor...oh good lord!)

i see my ob tomorrow, but am now worried about that!

i've had cysts before, but nothing to worry about...

jenb

I can't weigh in on your baby's size or the cyst, but wanted to send a virtual hug. I'm sure you won't sleep well until you see your OB - how scary. I'm thinking positve thoughts for you.

Best,

Jen

LexiC

I'm a NICU nurse so I can address baby and take a guess on you :) Your baby's percentile sounds great. Bigger than 95 would be "big". As long as the baby is staying consistent in percentiles and hasn't had a huge jump (such as from 40 to 75), I would say you are fine. As for the cyst, a corpus luteum cyst is common during pregnancy and resolves spontaneously. Not saying that's what you have, but that is a common incidental finding on scans. It is just a cyst where the baby's yolk sac used to be that will go away. That's my guess. And good news; by definition a cyst is not a tumor. They are fluid filled on scans, not solid. Not that cysts can't cause problems (they can) but I would assume things are okay and not panic for the moment ;) update us when you can.

e||ement

thanks you guys...you both made me feel a lot better!

gosh...they worry you before they even get here, eh?? ;)

i'll be able to sleep better tonight Lexi, thank you so much for that explaination!!!

Katrina Stovold

YOUR HBAC RESULTS ARE EXCELLENT! I got no idea about baby size etc. All I can say is relax and take it easy while waiting for your OB visit and wishing you all the best.....x

sarahspins

At 19 weeks I don't know that you COULD worry about your BG's having a big impact on size... that usually happens in the last 8 weeks or so.

I had the worst control with my smallest baby (I was diagnosed early in that pregnancy)... so you never really know. Comparing #'s between my second and last (biggest) they were almost the same, yet there was more than a pound differnece between them.. my A1C's were very similar too.

My biggest was my easiest and fastest delivery (2 hours total from when "hmm, that feels weird" entered my mind to when he was born) so don't let size worry you a whole lot.. it could still be just fine. I don't even rate his labor and delivery as painful, it was just "uncomfortable" and he was my only drug-free birth so I definitely felt every bit of him.

LexiC
thanks you guys...you both made me feel a lot better!

gosh...they worry you before they even get here, eh?? ;)

i'll be able to sleep better tonight Lexi, thank you so much for that explaination!!!

You're welcome! Also, my first baby was 4 weeks early and 6 lbs 4 oz (glyburide controlled pregnancy diagnosed at 16 weeks) and her delivery was terrible. My son was 1 week early and 8 lbs 2 oz (insulin dependent pregnancy diagnosed at 18 weeks) and he slid out like a cannon. Bigger baby doesn't necessarily mean harder delivery.

More good news; I didn't realize you were at 19 weeks. Previous poster is right and the bulk of the weight comes on a baby in the last couple of months. That being said, my son was in the 75th percentile his entire pregnancy (complicated pregnancy; we had scans at least biweekly, sometimes weekly)and he was born at that percentile at 39 weeks 0/7 days weighing 8 lbs 2 oz; this is just to give you an idea about what the size a full term baby at that percentile may average--somewhere in the low 8# range would be my guess. It's an excellent size baby ;)

foxl
As for the cyst, a corpus luteum cyst is common during pregnancy and resolves spontaneously. Not saying that's what you have, but that is a common incidental finding on scans. It is just a cyst where the baby's yolk sac used to be that will go away.

THAT is exactly what I was thinking, and wondering why the CYA, hedge-your-bets doc did not AT LEAST indicate the probability that that is what it is!!!

I have had enough ultrasounds to choke a snipe. I quit going after a while -- too many terrifying false alarms. :mad:

e||ement

thanks again guys

i just had my appointment with my OB...who didn't have the results from the ultrasound sent to him yet! GRR!! he was not happy!

i told him about what it said on the notes sent to my endo, and he said that while he has to see it himself, it doesn't sound any alarm bells to him (about the cyst, or the baby's size).

phew! i'll just relax for now...unless i hear otherwise:)

on the downside i've already gained 17 pounds. :eek: i wonder if it's in part due to the increased insulin use? but i guess i'll worry about that after the baby comes. not much i can do now except try to reign it in... :(

Awesomandi

A good (non-diabetic) friend of mine had a lot of cysts when she was pregnant with her first child. She had a large one in her nose that was a constant problem, and at one ultrasound she was told the baby had several in his head. The one in her nose burst, they were bringing her into emergency surgery and her water broke. Long story short, mom and baby both are perfectly healthy. The cysts they saw in his head were gone before she even gave birth! So unless they've told you these are something for you to worry about, I wouldn't sweat it!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.