Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

djt1344

Anyone likes Congee??

djt1344

Hi Gang,

Being chinese and vietnamese I love my congee but it always hasnt been this way. Was wondering anyone who are in the same boat?

Does anyone know if chicken/abalone congee is bad for you?

Daniel

MMJ

I'll tell if you if I like it if you tell me what it is~

Hi Gang,

Being chinese and vietnamese I love my congee but it always hasnt been this way. Was wondering anyone who are in the same boat?

Daniel

Chef Barrae
Hi Gang,

Daniel

Yes, congee is an Asian rice porridge eaten mainly for breakfast I think. It is like a risotto and you can add all kinds of flavors to it. I couldn't eat it because of the starchy rice carbs but if you can then go for it. I figured out that a 1 cup serving averages about 25 grams of carbs. If you can handle that then that's great. Personally, I would go for the abalone. Just my own tastes. Think of me when you enjoy it!

Caravaggio

I love congee. My mother fed us chicken congee and beef congee when we got sick. Unfortunately, way too much rice for me.

The chicken or abalone portion is not bad, the congee portion is for many people and could be for you too. Eat some and test.

foxl

I too love congee, but it is rice starch broken down for maximal absorbability, so I think it would spike me all to heck!!!

dbaratta
Hi Gang,

Daniel

I gotta say I am pretty ignorant to congee, what it is, how it is made???????? Can you tell me what it is and what is in it?:confused:

foxl
I gotta say I am pretty ignorant to congee, what it is, how it is made???????? Can you tell me what it is and what is in it?:confused:

Rice gruel, made by boiling a small volume of rice in a large volume of water, until the grains are mostly dissolved. Various meats, vegetables, and / or seasonings are added (often spicy or savory), at the eater's discretion. Making me drool to think about it, darn it all! I like mine with fermented bean curd, hot peppers and scallions!

ODAR
Hi Gang,

Daniel

Hi Daniel - I was brought up on congee especially when sick with flu etc however its full of rice and in the starchiest form ever so for me its a big NO NO - however your meter will tell you otherwise.:D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.