Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rak1978

type 1.5

foxl

Not THAT small -- if even 10% of T2's actually have LADA? And some believe the number to be higher than THAT.

Well sounds like you got short-shrifted, too! :mad:

I think I got orals b/c the night before discharge I got NPH and went low from it 5 hr later ... no idea the dose or anything and the endo never made this thinking transparent to me. Woulda HELPED.

Yeah, never done any oral meds. Kinda why I don't like the 1.5 label for myself personally. Soon as I knew I had Diabetes it was treated like Type 1.

They sent me out of the hospital with some scripts for crappy Novolin (no basal) and a meter. Never even signed me up for training. I learned to carb count and everything from these forums. When I went back to the doctor (not even Endo yet) six weeks later, I was carb counting with Novolin and just wanted a basal insulin to help with Dawn Phenomenon. The Nurse Practitioner I saw was trying to get me to go for mixed insulin. We settled on Lantus and Novolog after I explained to her that carb counting was easy. I think it blew her mind.

She didn't adjust my ratios though, so I had a lot of hypos for a while until I got in to see my Endo about 2 months later. Been pretty smooth sailing since then. Pumping is much better than MDI though, super happy with that now.

I think most Doctor offices just aren't very well equipped to work with Type 1/1.5's. And probably rightly so, since it's such a small percentage of people.

sarahspins
from what I have read, most adults develop "some" IR as they mature ... ?

Yes and no.... something else to consider is that Synthroid contributes to a bit of IR as well (as odd as that sounds, it's true).

I wouldn't have expected the effect to be so immediate, but I know that when I miss a pill in the morning (I take 175mcg), I will run really low after lunch and for the rest of the day. I am pretty sure I forgot one yesterday for example, and even with a -50% basal rate set on my pump yesterday evening and overnight, I went low before bed (which I treated), and than again at 4-5am too (which I am an idiot and slept through after silencing the dex alarm and lowering my basal rate to -80%).

I made sure I took my synthroid this morning :T

SammyIamToday
Not THAT small -- if even 10% of T2's actually have LADA? And some believe the number to be higher than THAT.

Well sounds like you got short-shrifted, too! :mad:

I think I got orals b/c the night before discharge I got NPH and went low from it 5 hr later ... no idea the dose or anything and the endo never made this thinking transparent to me. Woulda HELPED.

Yeah, I guess the misdiagnosed percentages would make it more, but it's still much less than half? I dunno, it's just my perception from about a year of this madness.

I never got even close to low in the hospital. I think they released me in the 200's or close to it now that I think back on it. Which was much better than the 700 I went in there with.

I quickly came to the conclusion that modern medicine is anything but modern. They are barely out of the Dark Ages on most things. And while Diabetes treatment has certainly come a long way reading stories from people that had it a long time ago, it's still got a longer way to go.

rak1978

Sarah,

That is really interesting and strangely comforting how similar our situations were. I had that 3 month period after delivering a baby where I took very little insulin also (the difference is that I was resisting it, the endo wanted me to take it). I was stubborn because he was saying that I was type 2, and at a young age and decent weight I thought if I'm type 2, then I shouldn't need insulin at this point. So, I worked and worked to no avail.

Happy to say that I no longer feel this torment. I've accepted and embraced the insulin therapy and need to just move past all of this craziness. I would like to get the insulin and carbs down for weight loss purposes (I, too, had two more babies!), but I know that it's necessary for my survival.

rak1978
Yes and no.... something else to consider is that Synthroid contributes to a bit of IR as well (as odd as that sounds, it's true).

I wouldn't have expected the effect to be so immediate, but I know that when I miss a pill in the morning (I take 175mcg), I will run really low after lunch and for the rest of the day. I am pretty sure I forgot one yesterday for example, and even with a -50% basal rate set on my pump yesterday evening and overnight, I went low before bed (which I treated), and than again at 4-5am too (which I am an idiot and slept through after silencing the dex alarm and lowering my basal rate to -80%).

I made sure I took my synthroid this morning :T

I notice that I run high in the morning when I take the synthroid, and if I forget to take it, I don't have as big of a spike. I only take 75mcg.

I mentioned this to my dr before, and he said that the synthroid does not raise blood sugar.

Who needs doctors or therapists when you can just come here? (j/k...I actually really like my dr now.)

foxl
I notice that I run high in the morning when I take the synthroid, and if I forget to take it, I don't have as big of a spike. I only take 75mcg.

I mentioned this to my dr before, and he said that the synthroid does not raise blood sugar.

Who needs doctors or therapists when you can just come here? (j/k...I actually really like my dr now.)

Yep. Also see: Thyroxine resistance, thyroid resistance. Yep, ME, too ...

MrsMia

This thread is a great discussion. Lots of information. But I'm still confused about what exactly a type 1.5 is? I don't even know if my endo uses that classification because in the beginning after I was diagnosed with diabetes because of being in DKA, he didn't know if I was a type I or a type II. After I tested negative for antibodies he typed me a type II.

foxl
This thread is a great discussion. Lots of information. But I'm still confused about what exactly a type 1.5 is? I don't even know if my endo uses that classification because in the beginning after I was diagnosed with diabetes because of being in DKA, he didn't know if I was a type I or a type II. After I tested negative for antibodies he typed me a type II.

Most don't. I was told it is only of research interest ... but in Europe, LADA seems to be more diagnosed and accepted.

LADA is latent autoimmune diabetes of adulthood. Slow-onset type 1, beta cell failure, with antibodies. Specifically, GAD antibodies predominate.

Type 1.5 is sometimes used to designate anyone who is not typical Type 1 with immediate insulin dependence -- like say, Mike (Rekarb).

Some researchers prefer to consider Ketosis-prone Diabetes, or KPD, instead of simply antibodies, vs. no antibodies. You might want to look into "KPD" or ketosis-prone diabetes, in PubMed, Mia. There are several articles!

zoelula

We are all different, and I agree that whatever way you look at it is right for you. For me, being LADA is NOT irrelevant. It is a part of how I manage my diabetes today and it was a HUGE part of how I got here. The age difference is only part of the picture, but it can be the key that leads to misdiagnosis. I was 58 at diagnosis so my doctor assumed Type 2. I did fine on oral meds for a bit over a year, though I realize now I spent probably thousands of dollars on meds for IR which I did not have. Then my numbers began to climb with no explanation. While my doctor tried one Type 2 med after another my high numbers could have been contributing to complications down the road. I went through major stress figuring it all out, getting my correct diagnosis and correct insulin treatment. Part of that process included being on much too high a dose and experiencing one dangerous low (I live alone). All that could have been avoided with the right diagnosis. Nobody would have ever suspected me of being a Type 2, but all the information was there to point to LADA (Graves Disease, unexplained loss of 40 lbs, insulin sensitivity and of course low c-peptide and GAD if anyone had checked).

Today my production of insulin still seems to be changing due to the slower beta cell death of a LADA so I alter my dosages accordingly. Is LADA a form of Type 1? Of course, and to casual acquaintences I just say "type 1" and don't explain the subtleties. But is LADA irrelevant? Not to me.

rak1978
But is LADA irrelevant? Not to me.

Zoelula,

Thanks for sharing your story! It's so interesting to hear everyone's different experiences.

I agree, LADA is not at all irrelevant. I just felt I was past the "slow onset" and/or "honeymoon" stage and now I have settled into more of a true type 1 stage. We'll see what happens once I start loosing weight though...maybe I'll be right back there in the pancreas sputtering stage.

Rachel

Rekarb
Most don't. I was told it is only of research interest ... but in Europe, LADA seems to be more diagnosed and accepted.

LADA is latent autoimmune diabetes of adulthood. Slow-onset type 1, beta cell failure, with antibodies. Specifically, GAD antibodies predominate.

Type 1.5 is sometimes used to designate anyone who is not typical Type 1 with immediate insulin dependence -- like say, Mike (Rekarb).

Some researchers prefer to consider Ketosis-prone Diabetes, or KPD, instead of simply antibodies, vs. no antibodies. You might want to look into "KPD" or ketosis-prone diabetes, in PubMed, Mia. There are several articles!

The problem with KPD is that it is classified by the ADA as kind of type 1, but the fact is that KPD's don't show antibodies. They go DKA or crazy hyperglycemic because the pancreas shuts down but if the blood sugars are gotten back to normal, the pancreas often returns to normal functioning. At one time LADA, and MODY were lumped in with KPD, hopefully, in the future it will get more of its own classifcation. Of course, Linda is a LADA who went DKA so should she be classified as a KPD, LADA or both?

It's all your fault Mia. You should have picked a less confusing disease.;)

sarahspins
Sarah,

That is really interesting and strangely comforting how similar our situations were. I had that 3 month period after delivering a baby where I took very little insulin also (the difference is that I was resisting it, the endo wanted me to take it).

Yeah, interesting thing is that after each of my children that pattern followed... I think that my body re-adjusting my metabolism to compensate for nursing made me super sensitive to insulin for a while... for a few months I pretty much HAD to have a snack every time I nursed or I would go low... even with very very reduced insulin doses.

I would like to get the insulin and carbs down for weight loss purposes (I, too, had two more babies!), but I know that it's necessary for my survival.

I see we share more than how similar our diabetes started :) I am starting on Metformin tomorrow to try to do something about the IR.. I am hoping that if I am able to drop some weight I won't need it. I would like to lose 30lbs by the time I am 30.. that's in 7 months. We'll see, but at 1lb a week it seems like a realistic goal :)

rak1978

I see we share more than how similar our diabetes started :) I am starting on Metformin tomorrow to try to do something about the IR.. I am hoping that if I am able to drop some weight I won't need it. I would like to lose 30lbs by the time I am 30.. that's in 7 months. We'll see, but at 1lb a week it seems like a realistic goal :)

I am on metformin (2000 mg/day). It has helped me A LOT.

I know some type 1's have surprisingly had a lot of success with it. Theoretically, if you use the metformin, you should be able to get away with a little less insulin which may help you loose the weight.

I am coming up on 32 yrs in a couple months and would love to loose at least 20 or 30 by then...we shall see. Probably a little too ambitious, but I'm going for it.

Good luck! It's nice to have some things in common with someone (even if they are slightly unpleasant things!) .

Rachel

sarahspins
Good luck! It's nice to have some things in common with someone (even if they are slightly unpleasant things!)

Yeah, sometimes it's nice to know you're not the only weird one out there :T

I am supposed to start with 500mg of metformin ER and titrate up to 2000mg by adding another 500mg in each week... we'll see how my tummy tolerates that :)

Subby

Go the EX/ER if you do get tummy problems, it's done me well. Just a occasional upset if I forget to take with food. Chances are you should be fine, I think our perception that it's extremely common to get long term tummy probs is a bit skewed due to people posting about it. But I think there are a great majority who don't, that we don't tend to hear so much about.

My perception has also been that the ER has a major effect for about 8 hours, helping prevent basal spikes. So I actually take it morning and noon at the moment to help through the day. I haven't tried the non-ER, but at this stage I would not want the shorter action for myself. My daily resistance goes from about 10am to sometimes 7pm, so taking the ER overlapped appears to have a good generous blanketing effect.

sarahspins

I did get the ER version.. my CDE is on top of things :D

Now if only I had thought to get it sent to walmart instead of walgreens.. it would have been $4 instead of $10, but oh well.. I can always transfer it ;)

MrsMia
It's all your fault Mia. You should have picked a less confusing disease.;)

Now you know why I stopped playing the lottery. I never could pick those winning numbers either!:T :D

Rekarb
Now you know why I stopped playing the lottery. I never could pick those winning numbers either!:T :D

Gee Mia, I didn't know you stopped playing the lottery. What a loss for humanity.;)

Anyway checkout my site, I've got a lot of new stuff up.

Mike

MrsMia

I check out your site and read it every day, Mike. Good stuff too. Very informative. As far as I'm concerned, knowledge is power and you are providing lots of knowledge.

soso

I am very lucky , as my Dr told me point blank as soon as she saw my log (conveniently provided for her at my first appt to discuss my bgs) that I had T1 diabetes. I am sure the light bulb went on as soon as she saw the numbers and connected it to the bi weekly complaints from me for the preceeding 6 months. I was the one who decided I could beat it with diet and exercise..lol...not that the strategy did me any harm in the long run, but boy was it hard work and a hiding to nowhere, to boot.

C peptide tests helped the diagnosis, but strangely GAD tests were not done.. she did not have the authority and the endo gave me the impression they were done and negative, but I came to discover later he had not done them! He has since retired so good riddance, IMO..though he did help me with another issue... so I can't be too harsh...

I guess Docs are only human too...

jswede1149

It's funny. I went to pick up a prescription of Clindamycin. I asked the pharmacist what to take to lessen the digestive side effects. I said I am a type 1 on Metformin only. The look I received! She thought I was lying:D

My insurance company has no class 1.5 and has me at T2 (my original misdiagnosis). I really do not see this going well when I do end up on insulin and want a pump.

rak1978
It's funny. I went to pick up a prescription of Clindamycin. I asked the pharmacist what to take to lessen the digestive side effects. I said I am a type 1 on Metformin only. The look I received! She thought I was lying:D

My insurance company has no class 1.5 and has me at T2 (my original misdiagnosis). I really do not see this going well when I do end up on insulin and want a pump.

Oh, believe me, I understand. Have you been asked yet if you have the good type or the really bad type? People don't get it and that's okay. I don't know that much about other diseases that I don't have.

As far as the pump goes...if and when that point comes, you would be classified as a type 1 for insurance purposes. If your doctor is educated at all about this, he will have no problem doing this for you.

jswede1149

As far as the pump goes...if and when that point comes, you would be classified as a type 1 for insurance purposes. If your doctor is educated at all about this, he will have no problem doing this for you.

It will come. My test results are very clear. I think what's working in my favor is I am hyper sensitive to medication. This may delay and require much less insulin.

I can hope right ;) ?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.