Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rak1978

type 1.5

warrenav
It will come. My test results are very clear. I think what's working in my favor is I am hyper sensitive to medication. This may delay and require much less insulin.

I can hope right ;) ?

And then there are some of us that are still not using insulin after a number of years. So it's not always a quick march to the pump.

foxl

I am awaiting insulin therapy ... and trying to make good decisions about the use of oral meds in the meantime. I too consider myself a Type 1 on oral meds ... but anyone in the US medical profession will think you are nuts if you say so.

My endo calls me a Type 2 with antibodies.

None of the professional organizations that address D in the US acknowledge our existence. Europe has Action LADA group, and they treat it as a matter of course, it seems.

So, we get diverted into either Type 1 or Type 2 status. For the time being. Hopefully my entire beta cell mass will not disappear, before SOME "official" protocol is established!

Rekarb
I am awaiting insulin therapy ... and trying to make good decisions about the use of oral meds in the meantime. I too consider myself a Type 1 on oral meds ... but anyone in the US medical profession will think you are nuts if you say so.

None of the professional organizations that address D in the US acknowledge our existence. Europe has Action LADA group, and they treat it as a matter of course, it seems.

So, we get diverted into either Type 1 or Type 2 status. For the time being. Hopefully my entire beta cell mass will not disappear, before SOME "official" protocol is established!

Many people think that type isn't important but they should think more of it as proper diagnosis. You have a car that is running rough, saying that there's a problem with the fuel - air mixture is true but it doesn't help resolving the problem.

I'm not managing badly but my knowledge is incomplete and I stumble around doing hit and miss. It would be nice to have a list of what to do for Ketosis Prone Diabetes. My endo and me could get at this thing in a systematic fashion.

Mike

foxl
Many people think that type isn't important but they should think more of it as proper diagnosis. You have a car that is running rough, saying that there's a problem with the fuel - air mixture is true but it doesn't help resolving the problem.

I'm not managing badly but my knowledge is incomplete and I stumble around doing hit and miss. It would be nice to have a list of what to do for Ketosis Prone Diabetes. My endo and me could get at this thing in a systematic fashion.

Mike

Exactly so. Maybe we should both call Car Talk???

Tribbles

My endo says I am a Type 2 without insulin resistance.

My other endo says I am Type 1 without antibodies and not to make long term plans involving working beta cells.

They are both convinced I am stuffed in the medium term but disagree how I am going to reach that point. :whistling

don1942

Hi guys. This is my first day on the forum. I have worked my way through this thread and believe it or not I am confused.

I was diagnosed about 1993 at age 51. Because of my age (I assume) the endo calls it T2. I went on insulin immediately. Currently, I am on the following:

70/30 18 units 3 x (add'l at night if needed)

Lantis 18 units 1 x

Byette 10 units 1 x

Metformin 1000mg 2 x

Zetia 10mg 1 x

I originally registered as T2 but after reading about LADA, I changed to T1.5. Until joining today, I was only concerned with A1C and C-peptide (0.1 last test). Now I am reading about beta cells, GAD antibodies and others I can't remember.

Based on the above am I properly typed and what should I know about beta cells and antibodies?

Subby

My other endo says I am Type 1 without antibodies and not to make long term plans involving working beta cells.

They are both convinced I am stuffed in the medium term but disagree how I am going to reach that point. :whistling

What are long term plans involving working beta cells? The thought "use and be kind to what you've got while you've got it" springs to mind for me.

Tribbles
What are long term plans involving working beta cells? The thought "use and be kind to what you've got while you've got it" springs to mind for me.

I think it was along the lines of "don't plan on them being around". I'm in no hurry to lose the ones I have but that doesn't seem to be an option. :(

foxl

Tribbles, I would be for getting opinion #3, there ... from a large academic medical center.

That is a b*tch.

I agree with Subby, be kind to what is left!

I have formulated a question for the Endo which sums up my situation ... "Am I missing an opportunity to preserve my beta cell mass?"

Tribbles
Tribbles, I would be for getting opinion #3, there ... from a large academic medical center.

That is a b*tch.

I agree with Subby, be kind to what is left!

I have formulated a question for the Endo which sums up my situation ... "Am I missing an opportunity to preserve my beta cell mass?"

Funnily enough those are both large academic medical centers but in different countries. :)

Preserving beta cell mass was one reason to go back to insulin (that, and that control was slipping on medication) because I can get much tighter control. I had enchiladas with rice and beans yesterday (85g carbs) and I was either very lucky or got the insulin smack on the nose, testing hourly over 5 hours I didn't go above 106. I am going to rerun that in a couple of days to see if it was a fluke, but if not it's good news for the beta cells!

foxl

Don't you JUST love the politics of medicine???

Good for you, on Enchiladas!! AND rice and beans -- wowweeeee!

Tribbles
Don't you JUST love the politics of medicine???

I think part of the problem is that diagnosis guidelines are so wooly that it is fine in the obvious cases but goes to pieces once things get in the least grey. Also there is no scope for overlapping diagnosis, an example is classic T1s with insulin resistance - this must be not uncommon assuming the distribution is the same as in the general population but it's something that seems to be seldom covered.

Good for you, on Enchiladas!! AND rice and beans -- wowweeeee!

I couldn't quite believe it myself. I'm benchmarking insulin dosages for a lot of my regular food and I decided to try something at the difficult end of the scale for variety. In fairness there wasn't a lot of beans and rice - no point in pushing your luck!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.