Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marshmallow W

No longer as depressed

Marshmallow W

I was depressed when I joined last month. I had just been diagnosed and was really frightened. People have been helpful here and my mood is much more positive. And I'm so excited about my weight loss! :)

All cooking hints are welcome!

ant hill

Aww MarshMello :D, I am happy for you to feel good again and the wieght loss OMG!!! I wish I could do that. :o:):D

Marshmallow W
Aww MarshMello :D, I am happy for you to feel good again and the wieght loss OMG!!! I wish I could do that. :o:):D

Well, I'm sure that weight loss is a different struggle for every person. What helped me, is that about five years ago my DH and I started the South Beach diet together. The induction phase was difficult, but we cheered each other on. We were going to go to a family reunion and that was more incentive. We were fairly successful until we got to the reunion. Then we fell off our diets in a major way.

So my diagnosis last month and all this pain scared me half to death. Now I keep telling myself that I was able to get over my carb addiction before. Surely I can do it again. But yesterday I thought I was going to throw up after eating two fried eggs. Seriously. I ate so many eggs and so many salad greens the first two weeks of South Beach that it was making my stomach queasy. So, yes, this will be a struggle, but I have to win. South Beach helped us to stop craving carbs before. I'm hoping I'll get to that place again before I get sick of sugar free Jell-O.

I hope you can find something that works for you.

ant hill
Today I walked out of my nutrition class in tears!

Aww what append :(, (((HUGZ))) I'm sorry. :confused:

Marshmallow W

Thanks for asking. I asked about pain and she told me that diabetes doesn't cause pain and that I need to talk to my doctor to see if I have something else going on. Then when she started talking about depression, I started crying and got up and left. I've been depressed most of my life before I got the diabetes diagnosis. Talking about depression depresses me! It's a good thing I'll be seeing the doctor today. :eek:

ant hill
Thanks for asking. I asked about pain and she told me that diabetes doesn't cause pain and that I need to talk to my doctor to see if I have something else going on. Then when she started talking about depression

Oh boy :(:(, This what I think about Doctors. Take this and see me in the morning and that just about it as they are quite happy giving you drugs to fix the problem. I would look at the food and understand what it can do for you. Food is my drug. ;):D

I started crying and got up and left. I've been depressed most of my life before I got the diabetes diagnosis. Talking about depression depresses me! It's a good thing I'll be seeing the doctor today. :eek:

I would do the same as Diabetes is about control and every day we try to keep the happy medium and it is too hard as we look at the ideal 6 / 108 as we see days that are no way near that number and it can depress you as we try to please the Doctor as we just get a lecture. Endocrinologists are much better as the pancreas is apart of the Endocrine system that exist in everybody as ours is broken and our daily grind is about control as the Liver and the Pancreas is the Regulator of the Blood Glucose as we do without little or no help from the pancreas.

I have been told to take Amphetamines to help me as I see that once that you are on this you will find that getting off the drug will put you in a hospital so designed to get off the drug and you will not like this at all. Not nice at all.

Look at the food and exercise MarshMello and see that it can work with you and look at the meter. ;):)

dbaratta
I was depressed when I joined last month. I had just been diagnosed and was really frightened. People have been helpful here and my mood is much more positive. And I'm so excited about my weight loss! :)

All cooking hints are welcome!

Super! Talking to people about how you feel is key isn't it? Even if you don't want to talk about how you fell just talking in general about ANYTHING is good. :)

plattb1
Thanks for asking. I asked about pain and she told me that diabetes doesn't cause pain and that I need to talk to my doctor to see if I have something else going on. Then when she started talking about depression, I started crying and got up and left. I've been depressed most of my life before I got the diabetes diagnosis. Talking about depression depresses me! It's a good thing I'll be seeing the doctor today. :eek:

So sorry! It's a constant battle, I know ... hang in there & keep up the good work. You are making progress & I have to believe that your blood glucose will stabilize if you continue on the same path. You have our full support & understanding! :handkiss:

HansM

I am not so depressed either, now knowing what I am supposed to do, and how to do it. Fear of the unknown is over for me. Took me years to get to this point. The past 3 months was the worst for me. I thought about my bottom numbers all the time,and just didn't know how we was going to get them down. Tried everything. We all knew the only way to get them down.with the help of many people invovlved,including this forum,we all figured it out,but it was me who had to make the final decision. The nurse asked me today if I was ready and if not why not. Well we got past the why not,so it is made. To live the best I can.Quality of life. Just like my knee replacement. Quality of life. Anything to not go blind, lose a limb etc. I can relax now. Not as deprressed!:)

sumi

Congrats on your great changes Marshmallow. Wow, thousands, if not millions of diabetics will be so interested to learn that diabetes doesn't cause pain!!! Maybe a letter to that 'dietician' is in order.Just two words on it. Diabetic neuropathy. Its one more example of we so many of us mistrust these people.

SunniD

Good to hear you aren't as depressed. If your depression comes back, Dr. Andrew Saul recommends that Niacin or B3 as well as organic salads will help lift the depression. I've found this to be true as well. Studies have been done to prove this however, the medical doctors do not wish to accept the studies as they like to treat their patients with medications and not nutrition. The choice is yours.

Have a nice day.

bardley

...I have to admit that I was bothered by the disease for about a year before the funk lifted. Now, diabetes management is just part of my normal life and when I travel I view the world in a completely different light. For instance, when I see grossly overweight folks gourging on fatty foods I take one quick navel glaze and realize that they may not have Diabetes but I'm probably healthier than them thanks to how I have chosen to managed the disease (even if they are substantially younger). I was also on the verge of high blood pressure when I was diagnosed and now thanks to my management of the disease that's all gone [and the lipids are better too!]. Looking backwards, I guess that diabetes is what you make it. I know Type 1'ers who are pretty hard to keep up with and have never let it get in their way (and Type 1'ers are in a league of their own--they have my greatest respect).

One word of advice from a relative newcomer, avoid the ADA website if you want encouragment. I find it terribly depressing and to my untrained eye it certainly doesn't seem to be offering any hope. In fact, they seem to be funding research on issues that folks with diabetes already know in lieu of trying to find a cure (which may never come). Stick with this Forum for the latest and greatest.

jbmacomber

Glad you are feeling better! It does get easier, but we still can have our days. Hope you can get some pain relief. What a crock about no pain. Where is she from? Anyway, hang in there!! I myself am going to look into the niacin/B3.

aktrapperman

It will get better melow marsh. I took two months off work and was clinically depressed after the reality of my diagnosis set in..i was on cymbalta. Which i think helped alot .we live in the dreariest and darkest place in the world...southeast alaska...my wife was very supportive. Surround yourself with a support group....some men from our church came and prayed with me......i was so down i stayed in my pjs for days on end.....but we made it thru it and i am better today. Its not something i wanna relive but, i am s tr onger bc of this trial. Hope you are doi.g better marshmellow. Blessings,

Jesse

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.