Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sanflan

Has anyone tried Victoza?

sanflan

I read that a new diabetes 2 treatment has just been approved for use in the US. I think it is already being used in other parts of the world. Has anyone tried Victoza yet? I am really interested in it because everything I have tried has made me gain weight, and I just don't want to get any heavier!

princesslinda

I believe I saw a member here who was recently started on it...was it CormacDoyle??? Can't remember. I'd suggest searching the medication name on the forums and see what you threads you might pull up.

Cormac_Doyle

Yep - I started using it 3 weeks ago.

Note that I am using it under the supervision of an Endo in an "Off-label" manner (it is not licensed for use with insulin ... btw, neither is byetta)

I have not suffered any side effects, with one exception ... even with careful Titration, I have had a number of Hypo's since I started ... note that this is linked to my use of Insulin - not directly with the victoza.

When I started using it on the 26th of January, I was using an average of 400-600 units of insulin per meal, and maybe another 200-400 before bed. (All in the form of "Humulin-R U500" - a concentrated version of regular insulin). This form of insulin is concentrated (one ml contains 500 units, instead of the 100 in regular insulin), but it is neither a "fast acting" insulin such as novorapid, nor a long-acting insulin such as Lantus/Levemir. The absorption spectrum means that it hits about an hour after injection, building to a peak after 3 hours, and being eliminated from your system after 6-8 hours.

Since starting on the Victoza, I've had no unwanted "side effects", but I have seen my appetite and impulse to "snack" dramatically reduced.

Additionally, the insulin I am taking is having a much more marked effect

- with 0.6mg Victoza once per day, my Insulin requirements dropped dramatically from the figures above (1800-2400 units per day) to c. 800-1000 units per day

- with 1.2mg Victoza once per day, my insulin requirements have dropped even further - I now get by on between 300-600 units per day (and the average over the last 7 days has been 400 units)

Because you only have to take it once a day, it is very easy to remember, and I've had none of the issues reported by others that you have to "time" the Byetta bery carefully to be close to a meal.

It's possible I've just been very lucky - but so far it's working out really well for me.

Finally - Victoza was Licenced by the FDA on the 26th of January 2010 ... you may need to hasstle your physician, as they may not be aware of it yet. (It was licensed for use in Europe in July 2009).

sanflan

Thanks for your input. I like the fact that it reduces your appetite. I am very tired of gaining weight.

I am curious, is there a difference in units in Irish measures than the US? I am taking 120 units of insulin a day and that seems like a hugh amount.

stinastina

Cormac - have you noted any changes in your weight ?

I have been on byetta only a week and have lost 6 pounds ! :D YMMV, of course.

Cormac_Doyle
Thanks for your input. I like the fact that it reduces your appetite. I am very tired of gaining weight.

I am curious, is there a difference in units in Irish measures than the US? I am taking 120 units of insulin a day and that seems like a hugh amount.

No difference at all - when I was using the Novorapid pens, I would have to inject an entire pen (in 6 injections - no more than 50 units in the one location) and then go get another pen to get another two shots from that one!!

This is why I switched to the Humulin-R u500 ... reduces the number of injections necessary because the actual volume of insulin is less, even though the dose is the same

Cormac_Doyle
Cormac - have you noted any changes in your weight ?

I have been on byetta only a week and have lost 6 pounds ! :D YMMV, of course.

Haven't weighed myself ... but I've started putting extra holes in my belt ... so I suspect the weight is coming off

bjs889

I just started Victoza three days ago, and I noticed that I have not thought about snacking. I had to eat a snack before bed last night because my bg was 99.

I was told by my endo when she took me off of Amaryl (Glimepiride) which caused me to gain weight, that I should see a different in my weight pretty quickly. I am looking forward to dropping many pounds I gain.

I have had no side affects at this point - and like the once again injectable - so easy and painless!

I see that some of you are on a low carb diet 70g daily, but I was told to keep my carbs per meal between 45-60g and no more than 15g for a snack.

Metformin - 500 2x daily

Victoza - first week 0.6, second week will begin 1.2, and the third week I will finally reach the 1.8 dosage.

Aspirin - 81mg daily

Simvastatin - 20mg

Flexseed Oil - 1000 2x daily

Centrum Silver (I'm 53)

bjs889

The main side effect would be thyroid cancer if you have a previous issue with your thyroid. My endo specializes in thyroid health as well. My thyroid levels were checked prior to being put on Victoza.

If your doctors suggest this type of medication/injectable, make sure that your thyroid gets examined/blood tests first.

Good luck!

muttduck

I'm a fairly new diabetic, just Dxed in Jan. Still not sure which type, since tests are coming back odd. I'm producing some insulin, but no where near enough.

Doctor was inclined to put me on Byetta a week ago - he went to see if he had any samples to start me with (and show me how to use), and returned actually giddy that there was Victoza in his supplies. Called it the 'new and improved Byetta.'

I'm his first 'guinea pig' on it (his words, not mine, lol). We opened the box together, and learned how to use it at the same time. He was on the 'net reading off all of the details, risks, and side effects.

Supposed to start at the 0.6 dose, and then they move you to the 1.2 after a week, but I'm very sensitive to side effects on any med. Even if it doesn't make you nauseous, it usually makes me ill - so my doctor wanted to try the 0.6 for 30 days before upping it.

My choice to do the inj in the am, when I take most of my meds, since my hubby is home to handle anything that should arise. Chose to do the shot in the 'mom pooch' since it's a bit less painful, and easy to reach.

This one was definitely one that came with nausea for me.

(As did the metformin.) No vomitting, but definitely green in the gills, slightly worse than beginning the metformin in Jan.

It was an instant appetite decreaser - as in, never want to eat anything, ever again. Right down to being eerily similar to morning sickness. There are some foods right now that make me gag at the thought of them - eggs are a prime example.

Also, when they say it slows the digestive process, it did that too... First dose was a Tues am, and literally nothing I ate found its way back out until Friday evening. Not constipated, not bloated, just never had to 'go'. (And before the Victoza, it was a daily event.)

A week later, and most of the side effects seem to be gone.

I've not touched a scale, but I feel like I've lost weight, pants seem to be a bit looser... Digestive tract seems to be adjusting, too, and things are moving along again, just slower.

Still don't want to eat much of anything... In fact, I actually crashed at 46 yesterday because I completely forgot about lunch, and went out to work with one of our goats (who is due to kid). First time since Dx that I went below 90, and 90 is pretty rare to see.

It's still hard to determine when I'm actually hungry, without looking at a clock to know when I should be eating. I almost have to force myself to eat some meals, even if I'm not hungry. The only real cravings of food I have are for mashed potatoes, salty foods, and fruit (especially grapes).

So far, my fasting BG is lower than pre-Victoza.

Metformin alone, I ranged from 140-200 fasting, Metformin+Victoza, I now range 86-140 fasting.

*Mind you, I eat a WHOLE LOT less the night before now.

stinastina

I ran out of byetta and I have exhausted all resources in trying to get assistance for it. I lost 14 pounds with it but when I ran out, I doubled up on Amaryl and gained half back. :(

Byetta costs $300 a month which I cannot afford. Victoza costs about $150 a month which I could probably scrape together. So when I see my endo on Monday, I am definitely asking for it.

ShottleBop

Dr. Bernstein just reported (in his monthly teleconference) that he has tried Victoza with several patients, who tolerated it very well and really liked it.

Allan7935
Dr. Bernstein just reported (in his monthly teleconference) that he has tried Victoza with several patients, who tolerated it very well and really liked it.

Yes, and he was very enthusiastic about it.

Allan

stinastina

I listened to an interview with him on a low carb website and he actually mentioned that he utilized various appetite suppressants to aid his patients in controlling their diabetes and eating low carb. I wish my doc was like that !

kat27406

Just came from my Dr. appt.....he gave me Victoza to try..said it was very effective...we went on the web and checked out it's site...very useful. I love my Dr. He is so proactive and really listens and HEARS what you say. Gonna give this stuff a decent shot. (no pun intended!):D

stinastina
Just came from my Dr. appt.....he gave me Victoza to try..said it was very effective...we went on the web and checked out it's site...very useful. I love my Dr. He is so proactive and really listens and HEARS what you say. Gonna give this stuff a decent shot. (no pun intended!):D

Hi, Kat !

Please share your results ! I got a prescription (although I was hoping for a coupon ! :) ) but can't afford to fill it just yet.

kat27406
Hi, Kat !

Please share your results ! I got a prescription (although I was hoping for a coupon ! :) ) but can't afford to fill it just yet.

Well have taken two injections of the Victoza as of yesterday..so far no side effects that I have noticed. But have not been as hungry an usual. Will update as I continue on this path. This is my first injectable...can't say as I am crazy about sticking needles in myself but on the other hand its not near as icky as I had thought it would be.:) Haven't noticed much change in bg but have been very busy with my mil so will have to watch that for a bit longer.

Almond66

Started about a week ago. Took the 0.6 for 5 days thought it may be affecting my appetite but wasn't sure. Went up to 1.2 and it has killed my appetite. Blood sugars in the 70's to 80's fasting when they'd been more 90's to low 100's. Feel ok so far.

kat27406
Started about a week ago. Took the 0.6 for 5 days thought it may be affecting my appetite but wasn't sure. Went up to 1.2 and it has killed my appetite. Blood sugars in the 70's to 80's fasting when they'd been more 90's to low 100's. Feel ok so far.

Took my 6th injection today of 0.6 will go to 1.2 on Monday. I do believe it's affecting my appetite some. I know my bg's have been a bit better the last day or so. No side effects so far.:D

Msfcp41

My Endo subscribed victoza at my visit yesterday, he wants me to lose weight, he changed all meds, was on janumet 50/100 for the last year but still packing on the pounds. Will keep you guys posted on weight loss as it progresses.

stinastina

Thanks for updating, guys ! Please keep me posted ! I see my regular doc on the 23rd. I hope she has samples because I would love for my numbers to be in the double digits.

kat27406

Week 2 on Victoza @ 1.2...waking up to mid 80s to mid 90s. Not hungry all the time and think I am starting to drop some weight. No problem with hypos so far! Wow...this stuff is AWSOME!!!!!:D

stinastina
Week 2 on Victoza @ 1.2...waking up to mid 80s to mid 90s. Not hungry all the time and think I am starting to drop some weight. No problem with hypos so far! Wow...this stuff is AWSOME!!!!!:D

Amazing !! I am so happy for you !!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.