Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sanflan

Has anyone tried Victoza?

sanflan

I am just gaining so much weight on insulin and I am so down and depressed about it. I tried Byetta but developed welts where I injected. Has anyone else had welts with Byetta or this new drug? I wish I had never mentioned the welts to my doctor because he would no longer allow me to take it.

stinastina
I am just gaining so much weight on insulin and I am so down and depressed about it. I tried Byetta but developed welts where I injected. Has anyone else had welts with Byetta or this new drug? I wish I had never mentioned the welts to my doctor because he would no longer allow me to take it.

No, never had welts with byetta but at least your doctor is proactive. I have had welts with injections before but that was because I had contaminated the injectable. I don't think you could contaminate the byetta but they told me to wipe the pen with alcohol before each injection.

kat27406

Well..into my first week of Victoza @ 1.2...titrated one week at 0.6. My numbers are stable now...my appetite is gone (along with my ability to spell..LOL), I am down 8 pounds this week...all in all...life's good!:D :D :D

stinastina
Well..into my first week of Victoza @ 1.2...titrated one week at 0.6. My numbers are stable now...my appetite is gone (along with my ability to spell..LOL), I am down 8 pounds this week...all in all...life's good!:D :D :D

WOW, Kat ! That is fantastic !! You have done great and weight loss, too ! I wish my numbers were double digits. I will see my regular doc on Friday and will be praying she has a sample or something !!

kat27406
WOW, Kat ! That is fantastic !! You have done great and weight loss, too ! I wish my numbers were double digits. I will see my regular doc on Friday and will be praying she has a sample or something !!

Not even trying to lose weight!!! This stuff is amazing..not hungry and my bg tonight WAS 101 after chinese take out tonight!!!!! Just blows me away!!!!:D

Almond66

I've been on the Victoza for about a month now. I'm at the 1.8 dose. Blood sugars in the morning are usually in the low 80's unless I've eaten out of my norm. (Only twice in the 90's and no further triple digits.) tonight I did a 1 hour PP after having a meal that involved brown rice and a very sweet mango. My 1 hour pp was 104. I don't normally eat that much carbs in one meal so I was pretty pleased with this. I was travelling within a day of going up to the 1.8 dose and was a little constipated. Wasn't sure if it was the drug or travelling and not getting my usual fiber. This has resolved as soon as I got home. The medication just cuts your appetite. I sometimes have to remind myself to drink water. I find it interesting that I still do crave some things but I'm able to say 'no, let me eat something healthy'. The other thing I'm sleeping incredibly and not having to get up to go to the bathroom. Although my blood sugars were never very high being prediabetic, I think this change in blood sugars has made a difference in having to urinate at night. (sorry if too much information, lol) I have been sleeping 8 hours straight!

With respect to weight loss, I've lost 10 lbs in the past month. I have a friend who is taking both Victoza and Metformin and lost 20 lbs in 3 weeks. I asked my endo who treats us both and he said he thought this combination was the most effective for weight loss for early diabetics or prediabetics. I haven't been taking my metformin but plan to restart next week after I get back into town after another trip.

I have to say, I'm so happy to be taking this drug. It's great to feel well, sleep well, wake up after 7 or 8 hours refreshed without an alarm clock. Weight loss is a great bonus!

smjwsmith

Well I got my doc to prescribe the Victoza. I took the first .6 dose on Sunday night with only very mild nausea the next day, more like indigestion but not particularly bothersome. last night i took my dose around 9:30 pm and couldnt sleep so took 5 mg of Ambien about 2 hours later. i woke up this morning with the worst headache I have had in years, was dizzy and spent all morning vomiting along with diarrhea. I don't know if this is side effect of Vicotza, a combination of the two drugs, a bad migraine or just a fluke virus. My headache is almost gone (after codeine) but my stomache is still queasy and I am very dizzy. ready to quit Victoza before I really get started. I think I will skip today's dose to let my body recover and give it another try tomorrow. Anyone out there ever get a severe headache with Victoza?:(

stinastina
Well I got my doc to prescribe the Victoza. I took the first .6 dose on Sunday night with only very mild nausea the next day, more like indigestion but not particularly bothersome. last night i took my dose around 9:30 pm and couldnt sleep so took 5 mg of Ambien about 2 hours later. i woke up this morning with the worst headache I have had in years, was dizzy and spent all morning vomiting along with diarrhea. I don't know if this is side effect of Vicotza, a combination of the two drugs, a bad migraine or just a fluke virus. My headache is almost gone (after codeine) but my stomache is still queasy and I am very dizzy. ready to quit Victoza before I really get started. I think I will skip today's dose to let my body recover and give it another try tomorrow. Anyone out there ever get a severe headache with Victoza?:(

I would be most concerned with the vomiting. That is a bad side effect for byetta and victoza. The medicine may be working your pancreas too hard and you don't want pancreatitis.

smjwsmith
I would be most concerned with the vomiting. That is a bad side effect for byetta and victoza. The medicine may be working your pancreas too hard and you don't want pancreatitis.

I let myself rest a day an decided to give the shots in the morning. I gave just upped to the 1.2 after a week on the .6 and everything has been fine. No more nausea just not hungry and when I do eat, cannot not eat to much. I wil see how this goes. My blood sugars have been coming down but not where I want them yet. Need to add some exercise and tweak my diet.

sanflan

My fasting blood sugars are in the 200's. Does it work for people who have developed very high blood sugars, but is type 2?

LaughSing

I'm a type 2, my fasting numbers were in the 220s, and I started Victoza on 5/7. I also started a new anti-inflammatory supplement at the same time, so I'm not sure how much of the effects are due to what, but... I'm going so low overnight that I'm having rebound highs in the morning, so I'm having to back off the lantus at night.

My daytime numbers have been FABULOUS, right where I want them to be. (Okay, they're higher than some people here are looking for, but my personal targets are right around 100, so when I get 99 before lunch and 105 two hours later, I am one happy camper.)

SpyroMike

my BG's were at about 300 fasting at Dx. I've been on Victoza for about 3 weeks now. I'm down to a rolling average of 155, low readings now in the 127-137 range fasting in the last 2 days.

My morning numbers are almost identical to my night-time numbers.

I've also lost about 24 pounds since my 2nd week of Dx - probably a few more now that I'm in week 3. I've had a reduced appetite. I'm also making much better food choices. But the Victoza is definitely making that easier with a decreased appetite.

momof5_2010

I am a type 2 diabetic and asked my endo and he refused to try this medicine due to in not being tested with the use of insulin.

I have a sample my sister (family physician) gave me and find myself desperate to try to shed some pounds.

Anyone on insulin and taking this medication??

A1C - 10 3/10

Medications

Levemir (just started switched from Lantus)

Novolog (just started switched from Apidra)

Vitamin D

HCT

Avapro

Gabapentin

Cormac_Doyle

There are two main reasons Victoza will help you lose weight

1. It will reduce your appetite, and make it more likely that you will feel full after eating (when you first start, you may not even remember to eat ...)

2. It will increase the effectiveness of your insulin, so you will take less. insulin is the hormone that causes weight gain, so reducing it means that you will put on less weight. Reducing the insulin also means that you *should* experience fewer lows that will need to be corrected.

Note that you WILL need to very closely monitor your blood sugar - at LEAST 7-8 times a day 9before each meal, 2 hours after each meal & going to bed).

if your blood sugars are dropping low at any time, reduce your insulin further and/or correct with some food.

if you do not feel confident doing this sort of close monitoring, be VERY slow using this drug.

LaughSing

Anyone on insulin and taking this medication??

Yes, I'm on Lantus, 36 units at this point. 39 units was sending me a bit too low for my "Henny Penny" liver at night, causing a rebound high in the morning. You really do have to test, test, and test again to find the balance.

stevem92544

Victoza was actually approved for use in the U.S. in January of this year. I believe it was being used in Europe as of June or July of '09. I was on Byetta from Dec. '09 to a week and a half ago. I kept starting and stopping it however because of the combined side effects I was having with some other of my meds. My Endo started me on Victoza a week and a half ago. No side effects the first few days when I was on the .6 dose. However when I changed to the 1.2 dose about a week ago I started getting mild to severe headaches every morning when I woke up. I also have developed extreme weakness/tiredness. Between the two I rarely make it out of bed much before noon every day. I'm continuing it at the moment because it has done WONDERS for my BGL's and I've lost 10 pounds. I'm sticking it out for a while longer and hoping the side effects will go away or at least minimize. I CAN say that I'm having nowhere NEAR the GI side effects with Victoza that I had with Byetta!

sillynini

I just started using Victoza after Thanksgiving. I was on Actos and I was hungry all the time. With Victoza, I have no desire t eat. I have to remind myself to eat. I have lost 12 pounds, so far. My dosage started at .6 and my doctor just increased it to 1.2. I now have hope of being exercise and diet controled. YIPPEE!!

art
There are two main reasons Victoza will help you lose weight

1. It will reduce your appetite, and make it more likely that you will feel full after eating (when you first start, you may not even remember to eat ...)

Didn't happen to me. I still want to eat. Only exception was New Years eve.

2. It will increase the effectiveness of your insulin, so you will take less. insulin is the hormone that causes weight gain, so reducing it means that you will put on less weight. Reducing the insulin also means that you *should* experience fewer lows that will need to be corrected.

My BG's have gone UP by about 20 points.

Note that you WILL need to very closely monitor your blood sugar - at LEAST 7-8 times a day 9before each meal, 2 hours after each meal & going to bed).

Doctor told me 3x a day was sufficient for testing and ther was a possibility I would go low.

if your blood sugars are dropping low at any time, reduce your insulin further and/or correct with some food.

And hope the food part works.

if you do not feel confident doing this sort of close monitoring, be VERY slow using this drug.

I'm giving this stuff to the end of the month. That's it

Art

findurpath
I just started using Victoza after Thanksgiving. I was on Actos and I was hungry all the time. With Victoza, I have no desire t eat. I have to remind myself to eat. I have lost 12 pounds, so far. My dosage started at .6 and my doctor just increased it to 1.2. I now have hope of being exercise and diet controled. YIPPEE!!

That's great to hear. I was DXd in October and just had my 3 month follow up today. My A1C in October was 8.8 and today it was 6.9. I was put on Lantus, only 8 units a day at night and 1000mg Metformin x 2 a day but today my Dr. decided that since I was taking a minimal amount of Lantus, and I had gained 14 lbs, he took me off of it and today I am starting Victoza. I was DXd at 188 lbs and today I weighed in at 202!

My fasting #'s were 110-130 in the morning and I felt like I hit a wall. Hopefully, this will make a big difference!

art

Just sent the Victoza people an E-Mail describing my problems and asked if I should quit

Art

art

Got a call back. Gave them all the info I could. Current meds, problems and my Doc's info.

Tried to ask the orginal question a bunch of times.

Finally I just asked "do I quit"

the answer" oh we can't tell you what to do"

Waste of time

Art

Cormac_Doyle

Actually, 3 pens a month is 1.8mg (I am on that dose) :)

1.2mg would work out at 2 pens a month ...

0.6mg is one pen a month

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.