Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sanflan

Has anyone tried Victoza?

jlaracuente

Victoza was just approved Jan'10 and not all possible side effects have manifested themselves. It appears that the drug affects different people in different ways. Victoza gave me tachycardia(increased heart rate) and minor nausea and minor constipation. On other diabetes forums, I'm reading that other Victoza users believe the drug induces severe nausea, lack of energy, severe constipation, and even erectile disfunction. I'm off V now due to the heart issue but for the time that I used it, V lowered my gls and ac1. Also lost weight because V suppresses appetite. I also was using a lot less Humalog. I was very happy, especially since V was covered by my insurance plan. Not happy now. My gls have soared, weight is creeping up, and I'm using more insulin then ever before. My feeling is that current Victoza users must be aware of "backlash" effects if they ever have to stopped Victoza. By the way, I filed an online report with the FDA since I have documentation that Victoza induced my arrythmia and I needed medical intervention to help stabilize my heart rate(doctor prescribed pills).

art

Just noticed your comment about backlash effects when you quit.

Can you expound?

I'll file with the FDA after I talk to my Doc on thursday

Art

findurpath

I was only on 8 units of Lantus once a day for about 3 months(when I got dx'd) which helped me get my A1C down to 8.9 when I was dx'd to 6.9. My doc decided to switch me from Lantus to victoza. I was on my third day of victoza on the 0.6 dose when I started to feel sick and nauseous. That night I woke up in the middle of the night and puked my brains out. This happened again on day 10 when I was 3 days into the 1.2 dose where I woke up in the middle of the night for a puking session.

I lost about 10 lbs in the 2 weeks I was on victoza and definitely felt the appetite going away. My doc told me to take a few days off of the victoza and just stick with my metformin. I'm starting back on the victoza now that the nauseousness has subsided but at only a 0.3 dose for a week to see how that goes before slowly increasing the dose.

My morning #'s during those two weeks were right at consistently 100, +/- 5. The 4 days I've been off of it though I noticed my morning #'s have been around 130 +/- 5 and the appetite has returned.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

art

Good luck to you. My BG numbers haven't improved at all . The ONLY benefit I've gotten is losing 8 pounds.

Nothing else advertised has come to pass.

After I see the Doc tomorrow I'm filing a report with the FDA.

Art

rtaylor61

Thanks for the responses. My 90 day supply was 3 pens, so I'm short 3. Have to see my doc about that or work things out with the pharmacy.

RT

Cormac_Doyle

There are a lot of drugs on the market - not everyone reacts to them in the same way.

Since the drug was not helping you, you were correct to stop taking it.

I have to say that for me, it has worked wonders, and continues to do so ... but other meds have had absolutely no effect (Actos/Avandia/Diamicron being just a couple on the list).

Unfortunately, in this field, the old adage of YMMV is true even with respect to the drugs we are prescribed - that's why it is important to build a good relationship with your Endo/doc ... otherwise getting a decent level of control can be so much harder !

I hope you can work with your endo to identify an appropriate treatment regimen that will help you achieve your goals

Cormac

LaGoup

My Endo suggested I try Victoza, I started on it 4 days ago, I have lost 6 pounds, I have had stomach discomfort, some nausea and diarrhea. I am hoping the side effects will disappear soon, because I love the weight drop. I've been insulin dependent for more than 30 years, Type I since the beginning.

A1C - 7.0

Lantus & Apidra

I am a type 2 diabetic and asked my endo and he refused to try this medicine due to in not being tested with the use of insulin.

I have a sample my sister (family physician) gave me and find myself desperate to try to shed some pounds.

Anyone on insulin and taking this medication??

A1C - 10 3/10

Medications

Levemir (just started switched from Lantus)

Novolog (just started switched from Apidra)

Vitamin D

HCT

Avapro

Gabapentin

tasha

I have been on Victoza for over a year now. I have lost 70 lbs I started at 242 and now weigh 172. I didnt have any problems with the victoza at all. I am also on 2000 mgs of metformin. When I first started taking these meds My periods became normal and I ovulated but now im not, I also have pcos. My a1c was 13 and my bs was around 400 prior to starting meds last check my a1c was 5 and my bs is at the highest 130 but normally in the 90s.

LaGoup

After 10 days on Victoza, my Endo agreed the experiment is done. Insurance won't cover it for my Type I, having increased dosage to 1.2 on this second week, the nausea has returned, energy levels are lower, I plan a certain number of carbs per meal and then can't eat to meet the insulin I've injected. Oh well, it was worth a shot (forgive the pun)! Back to Symlin for me in a day or two, after I feel the Victoza is gone.

JaneoB
Well I got my doc to prescribe the Victoza. I took the first .6 dose on Sunday night with only very mild nausea the next day, more like indigestion but not particularly bothersome. last night i took my dose around 9:30 pm and couldnt sleep so took 5 mg of Ambien about 2 hours later. i woke up this morning with the worst headache I have had in years, was dizzy and spent all morning vomiting along with diarrhea. I don't know if this is side effect of Vicotza, a combination of the two drugs, a bad migraine or just a fluke virus. My headache is almost gone (after codeine) but my stomache is still queasy and I am very dizzy. ready to quit Victoza before I really get started. I think I will skip today's dose to let my body recover and give it another try tomorrow. Anyone out there ever get a severe headache with Victoza?:(

This is my first post, so my apologies up front for any deviations from "forum protocol"...

I take 60 units Lantus every day. I just discontinued Humalog (20 units twice a day) in favor of utilizing the new med, VICTOZA. And YES!! I experienced MAJOR HEADACHES in the initial 3 days of VICTOZA therapy (0.6 dose). Additionally, I noticed a fleeting (10-15 sec) episode of DIZZINESS approximately 15 minutes after the initial injection, with several brief "dizzy spells" in the subsequent 2-3 days of dosing. I believe the headaches commenced a few hours after I administered the first injection, and persisted with variable intensity; sometimes becoming severe, feeling somewhat akin to migraine intensity. Of note, I observed an increase in bowel function (frequency) the first day or two, but this reaction was only on day 1 of dosing and has now returned to normal, or perhaps even slowed somewhat.

Symptoms of NAUSEA during initial dosing was intense as well, questionably due to VICTOZA itself, or possibly in association with the severity of headaches, or perhaps both were contributing factors. The nausea was so intense that I could not eat anything, and survived on nibbles of saltine crackers and two whipped yogurts on days 2 and 3 of dosing. I monitored my BG's frequently during this period, but found that my BG's were never below 130, likely due to chronic elevations in BG's (and A1c) levels. I used soft Rolaids chews and OTC Zegrid to deal with the GI upset.

Fortunately on days 4-5 at the 0.6 VICTOZA level, the nausea slowly decreased and all but subsided. The headaches occurred at a tolerable intensity and were thankfully, only intermittent. Weight loss during this time frame was 6 pounds, however a pound or two has now returned, likely in direct response to increased caloric intake. Finally on day 4 of dosing, my fasting morning blood sugars dropped to 93 (previously 160-240 range pre-Victoza). I've also noticed a considerable drop in overall BG's for the past two days, which I hope will continue, as I believe I can detect ann associated rise in energy level and stamina.

Tomorrow, I will increase the VICTOZA to the 1.2 dosing level. I am curious to see how my body responds to the titration.

Good luck with your use of the VICTOZA. Hopefully your headaches will dissipate and allow continued use of this medication.

yrudd

I'm a 60+ year old male LADA type 1.5 diagnosed about 2 1/2 years ago. About 3 months ago, my endo said to try Victoza, after I heard it touted by Dr. Bernstein's tele-seminar. Well, verrrrrryyyy minimal queasy stomach for a few days at .6mg dose, titrated to the 1.2mg dose with no more tummy distress, and both my insulin needs and blood sugar readings fell by 15-20%. HBa1c dropped modestly, as did a couple of pounds, but I now regularly wake up with BG < 100, which used to be a rarity, so I expect even better results as time goes by.

I have been hearing scary reports about dangerous side effects,- brain cancer, thyroid cancer, kidney failure - and would appreciate if anyone actually knows anything that would put me off from taking it. (I know, all the official literature says it's for Type 2's, but for me, it has been terrific!) If not, I'll happily watch my BG and Insulin levels both stay down or go lower.

dhavron

It seems to be aggressively hammering the BG numbers. Doc started me on 1.2 I did that one day and got severe nausea and pushed my BG number into the 50's. Discontinued for 3 days and consulted with Doc. Now taking at .6 for 2 days and discontinued the Januvia, Metformin, and the Glyburide. Fasing BG was 124 and the BG mumbers stay between 80-100 the rest of the day. I have been monitoring throughout the day and when number dips low, I will eat a little something.

David

Cormac_Doyle

There are several differences between Januvia and Byetta/Victoza

Obviously, the first is that Januvia is a tablet, whereas the other two are injections. For people who won't consider injections, Januvia is more appropriate.

Byetta and Victoza are "GLP-1 analogues". This means that they are artificial hormones that act in exactly the same way as a hormone in the human body. In this case - "GLP-1". By increasing/supplementing the natural levels of GLP-1 in your body, it has a variety of beneficial effects with respect to your diabetes. Januvia prevents the body from breaking down its own GLP-1, so indirectly has the same effects. However, it does this by suppressing another hormone/enzyme (DPP-4). DPP-4 is also used by your own body to break down unnecessary neurotransmitters (disrupting it can alter your brain chemistry). DPP-4 is used by your body to break down your body's cells when they are not functioning properly. This Apoptosis (Programmed Cell Death) is the way your body prevents or slows down Cancer and also slows down the typical signs of aging. This means that aside from the beneficial effects of increased GLP-1, Januvia DOES increase the likelihood of cancer, and DOES increase the spread of any existing cancers; it causes long-term nerve damage and can mess up the balance of signaling chemicals in the brain.

My endo says that he only prescribes Januvia to the more elderly patients who won't take injections. For patients who are happy to inject and monitor their BGs closely, he prefers using insulin and/or Victoza/Byetta.

Diana_CT

Victoza is a drug that is used to stimulate the pancreas. Some swear by it (me) while others curse it. I believe that it got my pancreas working again so the I can keep my diabetes under control just by diet.

Pub Med Health

Liraglutide [Victoza] injection is used with a diet and exercise program to control blood sugar levels in adults with type 2 diabetes (condition in which the body does not use insulin normally and therefore cannot control the amount of sugar in the blood) when other medications did not control levels well enough. Liraglutide injection is not used to treat type 1 diabetes (condition in which the body does not produce insulin and therefore cannot control the amount of sugar in the blood) or diabetic ketoacidosis (a serious condition that may develop if high blood sugar is not treated). Liraglutide injection is in a class of medications called glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) receptor agonists. It works by helping the pancreas to release the right amount of insulin when blood sugar levels are high. Insulin helps move sugar from the blood into other body tissues where it is used for energy. Liraglutide injection also slows the emptying of the stomach and may decrease appetite and cause weight loss.

Cormac_Doyle

The pub med information is wrong on several fronts

Victoza *is* used in Type 1 diabetes treatment (although it is more effective in T2 diabetes where there is a pancreas to act on).

Secondly, it skims over the concept of what GLP-1 actually does ... implying that its main action is on the Pancreas ...

Diana_CT
The pub med information is wrong on several fronts

Victoza *is* used in Type 1 diabetes treatment (although it is more effective in T2 diabetes where there is a pancreas to act on).

Secondly, it skims over the concept of what GLP-1 actually does ... implying that its main action is on the Pancreas ...

Victoza own website says it is for Type 2 diabetes...

Learn about Victoza®

If you have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, or if your current treatment plan isn’t getting you to your goal, your doctor may have prescribed Victoza®. Victoza® is a non-insulin once-a-day medication that helps lower blood sugar levels quickly in adults with type 2 diabetes.

It is used along with healthy eating and staying active to help keep your blood sugar under control and to help you manage your type 2 diabetes.

Your doctor or diabetes care team may also suggest using Victoza® alone or with other common oral diabetes medications.

[...]

I Want to Know How Victoza® Can Help Me

If you have type 2 diabetes, Victoza® may help important cells in your pancreas—called beta cells—work the way they should to control blood sugar.

Cormac_Doyle

True ...

The use of Victoza to treat T1 diabetes in association with insulin by many doctors and endocrinologists is technically "off-label". This means that the manufacturers of Victoza have not gone through approval for the treatment from the FDA. Therefore they are forbidden to advertise this potential usage.

The vast majority of medications used to treat bipolar disorder are not certified by the FDA for bipolar(but are for depression or related illnesses). This does not mean that they are not effective in these situations- just that the company did not go to the expense of submitting the medication to the fda for certification against that specific variant.

This relates to legal regulations, not drug efficacy ...

solox316

I've (type 1) been on victoza for a few months now, staying at the 1.2 dose. Lost 25 pounds, down to 180 from 205. Takes quite some time to get basals and ratios correct. Using 25% less insulin. Lows become very hard to treat, especially while adjusting insulin levels. Been wearing my sensor again to really watch the post meal readings (the reason I started on it). That will really help determine whether I continue its use. The weight loss and appetite suppression is an added bonus, but if it doesn't help improve my readings and a1c, I will stop. Any other folks out there with type 1 on victoza want to share our thoughts?

There is huge money in victoza, it's retail cost is more than insulin. Wonder why they went for approval for type 2???

sunnyrose

I live in Europe and I have been on Victoza since April , I was very happy with it,my sugar levels are normal all seems fine until today I read an article which made me immediately stop. The link to the article is here hope you can all read it. I am 3x cancer patient and I am really scared about this. I did lost 5 kg but then I gained them back on.

Diabetes drugs taken by thousands linked to cancer of the pancreas and other serious health problems | Mail Online

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.