Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cobyn

how do you know if you are pre-diabetic ?

cobyn

what are symptoms..

if you are pre diabetic is there anything you can do to stop it, and prevent diabetes from comming.

Harold

Moved your thread here so the Pre-D's would see it and answer you.

My best guess to your title question would be when the Doctor tells you.

LauRa Lu

I was pre-diabetic for a long time but didnt know about it, my doctor did a blood test about a year before i was diagnosed and said I was high, but he decided it must have been something i had eaten for breakfast that day :confused: stupid idoit he was!!!

I think there are things you can do when you're pre diabetic, tablets or something maybe... but i'm not sure, but there's bound to be someone around here who knows all about it. :)

Gunnie

The first thing I did was switch doctors. I used to have a GP, but now my primary doctor is an internal medicine doctor. If you have a good releationship with your doctor, ask for an A1C test instead of the routine sugar test. Looking back now, I had some indicators of my pre-diabetes and my doctor did not pick up on them. Whatever they check for on routine blood work, in the past, I had to have additional testing done because she said my sugar registered higher than normal. The second blood test required me to fast, and would always come back normal. My new doctor says the high readings and then a normal reading are indicators of borderline diabetes, and my doctor in the past never took any action. Also, I have been told that folks who carry their weight in their middles are more prone to this disease. I have that body shape, and am very overweight. When I switched to my new doctor, she ordered an A1C immediately, and my result was 5.7, which is very close. Her advice to me is to lose the weight and that will probably solve a lot of my other problems as well as help control my pre-diabetes, and to watch my carbs. I now eat a lot healthier, have cut out all beverages with sugar, and she also prescribed 500 mg. of glucophage twice a day. The glucophage was also thought to help with another condition I have called polycystic ovarian syndrome, but it didn't work in my case with the pos. I am still taking the glucophage, and at my last visit, she told me I was doing very well. Good luck! ;)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.