Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Diabetes India

Why SODA?

ljjhouser
Another thing I want to make clear before people become personal with me....

A. I am not here campaigning against SODA giants.

B. I am not here to promote ADA and AACE

C. I am not here to support Medical Profession

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), just because you say something does not make it true. Consider the above statements you have made. I would contend that that is EXACTLY what you have done. If not, then why have you also made the following statements:

A. All credit goes to Marketting. People dont like (so do I) pharma companies making business of drugs, but what about soda business...they are so much brainwashed with SODAs... unbelievable.

Pepsi and Cola dominates the SODA industry.. and they are the ones who brainwashed the whole system..eveywhere in this world

B. If same brainwash is done to avoid carbonated drinks with preserved and precoocked food ..ADA and AACE will become like GM - And to my surprise - it's just not my opinion but I know diabetes researchers who has been on chair position at ADA mentioned about the same theory.

C. As a med student, I had one patient to whom I was asking to stop consuming tobacco use. He said doc - why dont you ask those companies to stop producing or ask government to ban it.

Statement A clearly faults Pepsi and Coca Cola.

Statement B - even the reference to use the ADA identifys it as a source.

You might well learn that to a diabetic, the ADA is the marketing giant of diabetes. It is the 800 pound gorilla in the room.

Statement C - Well, let me be clear about this statement - are you a med student or doctor? It is not clear how either your "patients" or you yourself view your postion in this matter. Either way, are you really telling me that as a med student or "doctor" you have done all this writing and pontificating and have done it without supporting the medical profession.

Interesting comment.

But let's really get to business.

You seem to ask for facts.

With all due respect, I do not want to say anything for my uneducated and nonsense quotes about diet soda, as facts are facts and can not be changed -

funded & fed "facts" by companies

"specific false statements or concealed facts" stemming from Searle's testing of aspartame

All the above from your post #24. But there were no sources links to the actual sources you quoted (only in part).

So I gave you facts and the source with a link in my FACTS of post #27. You had misrepresented the facts in you #24 post.

AND you replied :

Story is still alive... Many researchers are working to study the side effects ... Just search it in PubMed.

From this statement, I assume that the facts mean nothing to you.

If that is true, then it must be just your opinion and facts and reality in diet or treatment mean nothing to you, just your opinion - as demonstrated by you statements below.

It was my opinion or theory or hypothesis, whatever is th name- I mentioned earlier- I am just biased.

it's just not my opinion

(P.S. Never mind..my personal opinions and not to offend anyone.)

My own opinions.. just thought to share with you...

If what you say is really true, then I would ask you to reference you source to support the following statement you have made:

1. Diet Coke is poison. (where did you find this research?_

2. If Coke changes the formula to remove aspartame the world will heal and the surge of hatred and vengeance by the disabled and bereaved shall certainly destroy Coca Cola.

(where in the world did you find research which supports this statement?)

Let's start with these two. And there are many more to follow.

Interesting that you would make this statement because you present NO supporting documentation, ignore facts, quote opinion as fact, and then instruct others with the following:

So I think I would say -

- you need to make your argument more succinct. Otherwise we will not just dismiss it as nonsense but will try to understand it why facts are not being understood yet - Is the brainwash so strong?

You are all over the place.

I would also like to add:

Mrs.Mia made a statement about her endo. One of your responses follow:

You made your GP compliant ????

Did not quiet get it. Considering what you say is right- what would you do if your GP is not compliant - probably change GP.

We don't change patient if they are non-compliant.

P.S: on the first hand, why didn't you ever go to endocrinologist? That's where you get the expert opinions and info about studies like DCCT trial, ACCORD, ADVANCE, NIVE SUGAR clinical trials. Have you heard of any of them?( from your GP or from your own research - and application if the results if these trials to your diabetes management in perticular.

Maybe you made another assumption (or simply YOUR OPINION) that this person knew nothing about her own care. A Wrong Assumption from the first word.

Then you were kind enough to Reply again with this:

By the way... This is all about SODA in this thread. Compliance from both side - doctor and patient can be discussed on different thread.

Nobody here asked you to post elsewhere when you continued to inject smoking and achocolism into this SODA discussion. But then, MrsMia may have been far ahead of us all. You seem to find it difficult to listen and understand any other point of view other than you own. This is not a good quality for a doctor. You , my friend, have a lot to learn about people (you know-patients). Most of us in the diabetic population have experienced doctors who do not listen or have not connection to the relevance of our specific situation. This is not uncommon, just undesirable. To further demonstrate this matter, review the below statement:

but I do want to know what is your views about all of the subjects like Why do you drink SODA so much as a part of your diabetes life even thought many have written that they know it is not a good thing to do

You have been told about our views. Why do you protest at every turn. Why soda – I like it. I told you in the first post. Did you accept that, no.

It think it was said earlier and I now agree. Unsupported statements, foolish opinions, no regard to presented and document facts – I will now dismiss this issue with you as just that, nonsense. I have to go now. Think I'll get a diet coke.

Larry

Joeprep4820
:eek:

You are hilarious... you are doing good job..by staying healthy. If you can keep up without beer at work - why don't you try the same at home. You will only get metabolic syndrome, poor dentition, adiposity, reflux disease, irritable bowel etc only, but you will be saved from liver damage, stomach ulcers, fluid in your belly and bleeding into your esophagus etc.

The Optimist Society met last night in The Hague and after a night of discussion, has decided to award you with the Optimist of The Year Award.

Please, don't bring something wonderful like beer into this discussion.

Diabetes India

1. By writing quotations from different post about "I do" and then "I dont" and thus trying to show that I am making two contradictory sentense does not make sense to me.

2. I talked about GOOD and BAD from both sides, so if I talk good about medical profession does not mean "I AM SUPPORTING THEM ON THEIR BEHALF"

3. ADA as a gorilla/marketting giant: Ohh really - is it? I came to know about this view here from you..which really taught me a lot.

4. Either way, are you really telling me that as a med student or "doctor" you have done all this writing and pontificating and have done it without supporting the medical profession.

When I am in practice (Well I am not a med student, I am a resident physician) - I weighs risks and benefits of any behaviour of a person who come to me as a patient and considers his or her interest behind that behavior before counselling and making a management plan.

Here in WHY SODA - I am not saying to modify anyone's behaviour which I repeatedly said. Neither I am counselling to modify or making a plan of anyone's management of D in WHY SODA thread.

5. About reference and FACTS: The fact is that SODA is not healthy (if replaced in place of water). Do you really think that someone can conduct or publish the study with this initial hypothesis to have such reference in the scientific journal?

I just asked WHY SODA to <1000 active members

- and I am all over the place, making foolish statements, nonsense posts...!!! Obviously I can imagine what would be the condition whoever start the study or even accomplish the results - what will happen is that there will be an alternate "Giant based" study to disapprove it or may be there will be a new "Healthy" SODA next version after "Diet".

About references- how you get so much against of a general statements from "internet" source, and I am seeing here all over the place. If you persosnally want, I will send you a series of published papers about results found against aspartame and for aspartame.

6. You have been told about our views. Why do you protest at every turn. Why soda – I like it. I told you in the first post. Did you accept that, no

Yes, I do accept the fact that people drink SODA / Cold drink all over the world for one or the other reason - did I ask to modify anyone here to change the behaviour - No. Did you accept that - No.

I mentioned in one response of post in this same thread about making real sense of WHY SODA? I really understood the facts there about WHY SODA?

7. I think it was said earlier and I now agree. Unsupported statements, foolish opinions, no regard to presented and document facts – I will now dismiss this issue with you as just that, nonsense. I have to go now. Think I'll get a diet coke.

Just because you agree, I am not what you states. Just because you dismiss does not mean this issue is resolved. I dont predict or seek any solution to it either. Just because I am adamant about SODA does not mean that all has to agree or disagree. Someone said it correctly earlier about taking responsibility and making decision about what we do or eat or drink in D life.

Drinking SODA is D life is a personal choice at own risks, benefits and motives. WHY SODA is a question which has no direct answer, but the general theme about it can be understood in that response - so well said by ex-moderator.

The Optimist Society met last night in The Hague and after a night of discussion, has decided to award you with the Optimist of The Year Award.

Ohh well, if that is the case, I will certainly stop posting any threads. Glad to know about the small percent of D.Life. Should have had patience to listen first rather than putting my opinions one by one and get spread ALL OVER :o .

Thanks and regards.

Granny Shanny
You know, if I did not know any better, I would think there is "SOMETHING IN THE WATER" at this forum ...

And I would agree with you!!! :eek:

ljjhouser

Diabetes India,

Let's slow down a little. That is probably my place to do that. It would be unfortunate if you or anyone else decided not to post.

I think we can agree on some basics of health.

1. Soda is not good for us. But it may be a choice after all the sacrifices a diabetic may have to make to maintian control.

2. We would all probably be better to drink unsweetened tea or other products.

3. Using diet products is a choice that may need to be made by some patients as they make choices to control blood glucose.

4. The extended use of soda products may be the result of marketing or the environmental condition (values) in which we were raised.

5. There are many many studies relating to the use of Aspertame (sp). There is a lot of controversy regarding its use in food products. But it has beed approved for use in over ninety different countries around the world.

6. We have made and continue to make many mistakes in not reducing the use of soda in our children's generation.

There are several other points here, but we can disagree on those. You are right, we do not have to agree. I am comfortable with that. I hope you are also. I would ask you to continue to post on this Forum. You share and I respect that. We may not agree, but that is OK. Best Wishes, Larry

Tribbles
:eek:

You are hilarious... you are doing good job..by staying healthy. If you can keep up without beer at work - why don't you try the same at home. You will only get metabolic syndrome, poor dentition, adiposity, reflux disease, irritable bowel etc only, but you will be saved from liver damage, stomach ulcers, fluid in your belly and bleeding into your esophagus etc.

I can only speak for the UK but this was probably true elsewhere as well, the water was very bad until the early 1900's. For hundreds of years people drank beer rather than water because it was safer. Children drank a weaker beer called small beer. Until the first world war there was typically a public house for every 50 inhabitants. The things I remember from my history classes!

Joeprep4820
I can only speak for the UK but this was probably true elsewhere as well, the water was very bad until the early 1900's. For hundreds of years people drank beer rather than water because it was safer. Children drank a weaker beer called small beer. Until the first world war there was typically a public house for every 50 inhabitants. The things I remember from my history classes!

And many of those public houses still produce some of the tastiest ales this world has ever seen.

DeusXM

To be honest, this is all now coming across like some vague unfocused rage against the fact that sometimes people make decisions based not on health, but pleasure.

You want to know why people drink soda? Because many people like the taste.

Why do people drink beer? Because it gets them drunk.

For a doctor you seem to have forgotten that you're dealing with people, rather than machines. I agree that no-one should rely on soft drinks for their hydration requirements but neither am I getting upset that every now and again, when the choice is either water of Coke, people pick the Coke.

You will only get metabolic syndrome, poor dentition, adiposity, reflux disease, irritable bowel etc only, but you will be saved from liver damage, stomach ulcers, fluid in your belly and bleeding into your esophagus etc.

What, from the odd beer? Look, I know the average Indian's relationship with alcohol is a bit more convoluted that a Westerner's, for religious reasons, but let's not start just making stuff up. Billions of people every year drink alcohol without suffering the side-effects you suggest. Obviously if clean drinking water is available, beer shouldn't be a primary source of hydration, but the odd pint on the weekend, is that really so bad?

I'm worried about the world you're trying to create in your head here, it sounds a lot like people getting constant blood tests and doing little but eat water and lettuce.

foxl

I have had enough run-ins with people and alcohol to trun me off most of it ...

But I agree with Deus, humans are humans, we can exercise a goodly amount of self-control, but this attitude that we should not or WILL not, perhaps more to the point, indulge in some excursions off the straight and narrow, is not going to fly with patients. It WILL show up in their dealings with you, and they will be alienated by it. That will not be constructive.

Timmy Mac

I personally drink soda because I like it. I probably average one or two day. I know that it is possibly dangerous, but nothing bad has happened yet. I know diet drinks can give you cancer, but EVERYTHING gives you cancer.

The complete list of things that give you cancer

It hasn't caused me to gain weight (I've actually LOST weight over the winter...somehow went from 138 to 135) Never gotten sick from it. No rotting teeth or ANYTHING that people are saying diet soda does to you.

Sure, theres a chance where it might be dangerous, but if i gave up everything in my life that could possibly kill me i would have nothing left (my cat, parakeet, gecko, this computer, my cellphone, my car, frozen dinners, fast food, soda, friends and even my insulin... just to name a few)

While the world maybe be dangerous, I would rather live to be 75 being happy than living to 80 but avoiding everything that makes life enjoyable

Rob43

I drink mainly filter water and do like to drink diet soda because it teste good after drinking so much water all the time. Drink diet without any kind of sugar substitutes. Don't trust Splenda or any other substitutes. If I drink soda with sugar my BG goes up to 500 or higher. I've also lost alot of weight because of drinking water. :) I feel better and look better. :)

Rob

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.