Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SB_Krista

How many diabetics out there taking statins?

SB_Krista

I'm curious...how many diabetics on this forum are taking statins? I suspect most, but wonder since the ADA recommendation is that ALL diabetics regardless of cholesterol levels be on a statin as they provide a protective role against acute MI's. My endo has been pushing me for 2 yrs now to go on one even though my D is well controlled now, and my cholesterol numbers are the best they've been in years (surprising considering I don't watch my diet when it comes to protein and fats). My CRP is negligible, and I had a cardiac heart scan with a score of 0 about 6 mnths ago. My BMI is 21 and I exercise regularly. BUT, hard to run away from the fact that my father had his first heart attack at about my current age!

Thanks for the feedback....

plattb1

I started on lipitor 10 years ago, but couldn't tolerate it. Changed to pravachol. Probably took it 6-7 years. Been on crestor since. Have asked as my lipid profile improved to discontinue it, but endo recommends that I stay on it awhile longer.

By the next time I get labwork, if the trend continues, I will probably discontinue on my own despite her recommendations. For now, still taking it.

October 2009 numbers as follows:

Cholesterol, Total 192

Triglycerides 167

HDL Cholesterol 67

LDL Cholesterol Calc 92

Gordonm

I have been on Lipitor for a few years now. Never had a problem with it. My numbers have been in the 120s to 130s since I have been on them. They were in the 180s before. Here are my last numbers

Total C 139

HDL 66

LDL 66

Triglycerides 36

Penny

I have been taking simvastatin for about 12 years. My total cholesterol was 123 when I started, now my total level is 99. My nondiabetic husband, who has always been too skinny, takes 4 times as much as I do and his level is still around 200.

alura

Crestor (in signature) although I initially said nope....3 different docs have said I should, so I accepted their knowledge. Been awhile since I had all the profiles run so don't know how my #s are now.

momof3

ljjhouser - Just curious how you keep your BG down so well with just diet....can you tell me(us) what you did to change your diet?

Thanks!!

don1942

Been on a statin since dx 16 years ago. Cholesterol was over 265, but 170 on last test in Jan. Last year my endo icreased my dose of Pravastatin from 10 mgs to 20 mgs based on a recommendation from my cardio following a good stress test.

foxl

80 mg Simvastatin. Started on 40 but got it doubled after a month ... and then of course my HDL is low ... but blood sugars got screwed up when I added niacin. Waiting to see what next Endo says.

fgummett
Been on a statin since dx 16 years ago. Cholesterol was over 265, but 170 on last test in Jan. Last year my endo increased my dose of Pravastatin from 10 mgs to 20 mgs based on a recommendation from my cardio following a good stress test.
What a weird world we live in... 17 years on a drug, a "good stress test" so they increase the drug :confused:

don1942
What a weird world we live in... 17 years on a drug, a "good stress test" so they increase the drug :confused:

According to the Cardio (I had not seen one for more than 7 years) the recommended safe levels of cholesterol are regularly being reviewed and lowered, especially for diabetics (how involved is big pharma in these studies?). I worked hard to get it down to 170 and now the upper limit has been lowered to 160 for us diabetics. :confused:

fgummett

This is where the logic starts to fall apart for me... I assume the numbers above; 170, 160 etc... are "Total" Cholesterol? But doesn't "Total" Cholesterol include HDL? Don't we all agree that we want HDL to be higher? It's the "good kind" right? I know my math is not great but surely the higher the HDL, the higher the "Total" :confused: So who comes up with these guidelines?

I don't want to drag this thread off into another debate; except to say that we seem to be obsessed with lowering cholesterol... but nobody bothers to ask WHY anymore..?

It's as if "lower cholesterol" is an end unto itself... even though cholesterol is vital for our health :eek:

don1942
This is where the logic starts to fall apart for me... I assume the numbers above; 170, 160 etc... are "Total" Cholesterol? But doesn't "Total" Cholesterol include HDL? Don't we all agree that we want HDL to be higher? It's the "good kind" right? I know my math is not great but surely the higher the HDL, the higher the "Total" :confused: So who comes up with these guidelines?

I don't want to drag this thread off into another debate; except to say that we seem to be obsessed with lowering cholesterol... but nobody bothers to ask WHY anymore..?

It's as if "lower cholesterol" is an end unto itself... even though cholesterol is vital for our health :eek:

I agree with your analysis. I think the Total cholesterol number is used only as a red flag and that once it is "violated", you have to look at the specifics. For example, my HDL was 42 (35 - 55) and my LDL was 94.5 (0 - 130). Ranges are for non diabetics. Together they only add up to 136.5 so there is something we are missing. Only a professional can shed light on the confusion.

Unfortunately, until just recently I have gone by the old saying: Ours is not to reason why.... just trust the doctor.:T

fgummett

The remaining part of the Total has to do with Triglycerides but the whole thing is a calculated value and not directly measured. There are better ways of measuring lipids but they seem painfully slow to catch on... as you ask above "how involved is big pharma"..? A cynic (OK me!) might suggest that they have much to gain financially by keeping the picture fuzzy and confused.

For myself I will simply say that the last person from whom I accepted without question the statement "because I said so... that's why!" was my Mother ;) If you want me to take a potentially risky medication I need a darn good reason why.

Here is a 2004 PDF discussing why the way we talk about LDL is misleading... Beyond Routine Cholesterol Testing: The Role of LDL Particle Size Assessment

It is not even controversial but I wonder how much your Cardio knows about it?

---

This thread discusses how LDL is calculated... http://www.diabetesforums.com/forum/other-medications/46362-the-friedwald-equation.html

CALynn

Total Cholesterol is meaningless. You have to look at the subsets [LDL, HDL, and Triglycerides]. FYI the formula for total cholesterol is calculated:

HDL + LDL + (Triglycerides/5) = Total Cholesterol

I was on 4 different statins at one time or another and failed each one [myalgia, etc.]. My HDL is great, my LDL at the high end of normal, but the triglycerides suck. All told I usually calculate out to about high end of normal [total cholesterol] or slightly above that.

I'm not too concerned about cardiac issues in my case.

don1942
cholesterol is calculated:

HDL + LDL + (Triglycerides/5) = Total Cholesterol

Thanks CALynn. I always wondered what the missing factor was. My triglycerides also suck. :mad:

garylane
I'm curious...how many diabetics on this forum are taking statins? I suspect most, but wonder since the ADA recommendation is that ALL diabetics regardless of cholesterol levels be on a statin as they provide a protective role against acute MI's. My endo has been pushing me for 2 yrs now to go on one even though my D is well controlled now, and my cholesterol numbers are the best they've been in years (surprising considering I don't watch my diet when it comes to protein and fats). My CRP is negligible, and I had a cardiac heart scan with a score of 0 about 6 mnths ago. My BMI is 21 and I exercise regularly. BUT, hard to run away from the fact that my father had his first heart attack at about my current age!

Thanks for the feedback....

Hi

Been on Statins for 5 years following a Quad Bypass,

40 mg Crestor

Alan S
I'm curious...how many diabetics on this forum are taking statins?

In an odd sort of way, it was lipitor that led to my diagnosis. My doc reported that I had high cholesterol in the late '90s. He said "There is no need for you to do anything, we have a pill that fixes that" and put me on 20mg lipitor. In Australia I needed a blood test every six months to get that prescription renewed. I did that for a few years and then changed doctors. The new doc added some tests to the list, including white blood count and HbA1c. The first led to the diagnosis of leukemia, the second to type 2. Which the prior doc should have diagnosed five years before.

As I made changes to d&e over the next few years I continued to take the lipitor.

But I also started to do a lot of reading over the next few years. And the more I read, in scientific papers, diabetes forums and medical sites, the less impressed I became with the giant pharmaceutical industry and the quality of the research papers funded by that industry to justify lower and lower LDL levels needing more and more statins to achieve them.

I dropped the lipitor a few years ago. My LDL predictably jumped alarmingly (to my doc) but my HDL and trigs did not. After some concern my doctor accepted my point of view after I asked for further tests including VLDL and apolipoprotein A1 and B, which all came back in normal range.

I wrote a bit more on it here Cholesterol, Fats, Carbs, Statins and Exercise

Rebecca
Triglycerides 167

Most likely because your Triglycerides are on the High side.. As your Triglycerides should be between 50-150.

I personally take 15mg Crestor nightly per orders of my cardiologist

My cholesterol is as follows.. taken 10 Feb 10

Total: 148

HDL: 68

LDL: 61

Triglycerides: 13

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.